General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tendonitis in elbow from pull-down tricep sets? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-04 8:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Tendonitis in elbow from pull-down tricep sets?

Hey there,

I have an annoying and painful problem. About 6 wks ago I must have hyper extended my arm doing tricep pull-downs. Now the area about 1'' from big bony elbow above it and btwn the other knobby bone is always sore, luckily it's not interfering with s/b/r but it definately doesn't like me doing tricep work or even biceps. How to fix this?

Thanks for your help!

Patsy

2011-12-04 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3925953

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Tendonitis in elbow from pull-down tricep sets?

Not a doctor and your info is so not helpful description wise and elbows are pretty complicated joints.  So, what is the nature of the pain?  Sharp, throbbing or something else?  Was it a sudden onset or gradual onset?

If it is sharp or worsening get help - usually a Chiro or PT (one that knows how to treat elbows although most will say they do - not all are created equal - so ask around at your gym or sport stores?).  If it is more of an achiness then try icing and rest - follow the DDT rule - "If it hurts, Don't Do That!"

Not much help but maybe it'll help a bit.  I had epicondylitis last year and it took awhile to get it back to normal with the help of a local Chiro.

Good luck.

2011-12-05 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3925953

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-12-15 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3926339

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tendonitis in elbow from pull-down tricep sets?
Don't fully extend and don't allow the arms to fully return to neutral.  As you build mass it gets easier to feel the sweet spot.  A better exercise for triceps is partial close grip bp using the smith machine or just the bench.  Lower it between half and two thirds the way down and no more.  This is a mass building exercise and not a range of motion exercise.  It will get you results very fast.  Then do the pull/push downs with lighter weight.

Edited by Theforge 2011-12-15 3:04 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tendonitis in elbow from pull-down tricep sets? Rss Feed