General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting a masters swim group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-09 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: Starting a masters swim group

Hi all,

What is involved in getting a masters swim program started?  I have a local YMCA that opened up about a year and a half ago, with a tiny 25yard 3 lane lap pool.  We're a very rural town so there's really not a large talent pool here, and I'm not even sure any of the pool staff or the guy who runs the pool would be qualified or knowledgeable to coach triathletes in the pool.

I think there's probably a large enough population of dedicated lap swimmers that a masters program would have the interest, we could at least get a half dozen people there each session if we did it.

So now what?  With such a tiny pool is it worth it?  Or without a knowledgeable coach is there any point?  I don't do too bad with motivation and getting myself into the pool, but I thought it would probably be fun to swim with others and if I could learn something to improve my own swim I'd be thrilled.

And finally, if there's no one on staff at the Y that an do it, what's it take for someone like me to organize it?  Does anyone have any experience with YMCA's and if they'd allow a non-employee and non-certified swim coach to do something like this?

2011-12-09 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3932243

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Starting a masters swim group
For several years, our masters group was simply a group of people who swam at the same times.  We didn't have a coach, just took turns making up practices.  We just had a deal with the pool manager where they would dedicate lanes for us during specific lane swim times and we paid the regular lane swimming fees.
2011-12-09 8:44 AM

User image

Pro

Best resource is USMS swimming themselves! http://www.usms.org/admin/lmschb/

I bet they'll be able to refer you to some directors of smaller clubs, too, to talk to them first hand.

Even without a coach at start-up, getting a group started is never a bad idea.

Good luck!

ETA: Found it!! http://www.pvmasters.org/brochure.pdf <- on the bottom right hand corner of the second page is the contact for Trinity College. It's a VERY tiny club that I swam with a few times. If I remember correctly, someone would get there, write a suggested practice on the white board, and whoever showed up would have at it. Might be a good resource to call them

Edited by ratherbeswimming 2011-12-09 8:51 AM
2011-12-10 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Thanks for the tips, perhaps I'll just have to try and get a swim group together for now and see what happens.
2011-12-10 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
One reason for going through USMS officially might be to protect your personal liability. My masters group requires anyone swimming with them to be members as the natioanl group insures participants while practicing. I am no lawyer, but I am a bit paranoid, so I would avoid being seen as "organizing" anything that could expose me personally.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting a masters swim group Rss Feed