Aluminum1 Votes - [16.67%]
Best Deal2 Votes - [33.33%]

2011-12-16 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Subject: Carbon or Alum CX Bike????

Ok, this is for the CX racers .....

I find myself in a Pretty Bittersweet situation.  I finally broke down and sold the Old Roadie, which was my bad weather bike (man I loved that bike).  However, she was sold because its time for a new ride and wife finally put her foot down on N+1.   So now that the stable has a little room, the search for a new Cyclo-cross bike that will be also double as my bad weather bike on the road has begun.  Now, I live in WI and am not against riding studded tires in the winter, so bad weather really means bad weather.  

I am in no rush since my CX season is done, I have a reasonably flexible budget (I mean within reason, ie: I am willing to spend an extra $500.00 buck to get what I want because I will ride this bike for years), and have some ideas of what I think I want but am truly undecided on Carbon vs. Alum/Alloy frame.  So, what says you BT Peloton ..........  and why? 

2011-12-16 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3940927

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Carbon or Alum CX Bike????
What are some of the frames/bikes that peak your interest?

I went with Blue Norcross EX, which is carbon, mainly due to their sponsorship with USAT coaching (big discount).

With CX, weight really does matter. Lots of accelerating and you obviously have to pick it up and run with it as well. My upgrade was worth about 7 lbs, I can really tell.

However, you're also looking at a pretty big premium when you move to carbon, so shopping now, could result in finding a 2011 Carbon bike on sale at the price of metal.

It this was your first bike, I'd do metal, but you're probably not crashing as much anymore so the risk of breaking a frame are smaller. Most of the damage in a cross race is hangers, RD, and spokes anyway.
2011-12-16 9:23 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Wait for disc cross bikes to become very readily available, you will see a large influx after the new year and next spring.

i have seen some Stevens and Specialized units on Ebay recently.

Do not discount the chinese and their frames, they are very very good, and very reasonably priced. They are starting to pop up on Alibaba, I-can sports has a version that is called the ac023 i believe, from what I have heard it is around $450 shipped for frame and fork.

Also check out the On-one Dirty Disco and build it yourself, good company and great customer service. I am also told that the bike has the tapered front fork, which is not specified on their website.

the only issue with the disc cross bikes is the need for a 135mm rear hub, hence why both my bikes are only front disc equipped, so i can still swap tires around all my bikes using the standard road 130mm. But in my personal opinion, in about 5 years, alot of the new road bikes will be 135 rear and disc brake equipped. They make for stronger stiffer wheels which is what you will need for disc.

I personally have one of each, they are very very different, but i like both bikes. The carbon is about 3lbs lighter than my aluminum unit, and will be my primary race bike for CX next fall, the aluminum will be the pit bike. They both do double duty on the road and i have no issue modulating the disc brakes.

The other option is multi frame material, i would look for an aluminum bike with carbon seat stay and fork, I see a lot of Vodoo bikes on Ebay with that, it is a good combo and helps a bit with weight and vibration dampening.

Good luck!!!

2011-12-16 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3941011

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Thanks for the insight so far .......  

running2far - 2011-12-16 8:59 AM What are some of the frames/bikes that peak your interest?  

Due to Team Sponsorship I will look very closely at Trek.  They offer both an Alum version and Carbon version of the same frame and although our sponsorship deal is on road bikes, I think I will be able to get a screaming deal on a CX bike also.  And, the Alum version is already the proper team colors?  However, I also really like the Felt Line and have seen lots of Kona during race season around here. 

running2far - 2011-12-16 8:59 AM  If this was your first bike, I'd do metal, but you're probably not crashing as much anymore so the risk of breaking a frame are smaller. Most of the damage in a cross race is hangers, RD, and spokes anyway.   

I always thought falling down was part of CX, is it not??  Foot in mouth 

Rudedog55 - 2011-12-16 9:23 AM   Wait for disc cross bikes to become very readily available, you will see a large influx after the new year and next spring.  The only issue with the disc cross bikes is the need for a 135mm rear hub, hence why both my bikes are only front disc equipped, so i can still swap tires around all my bikes using the standard road 130mm. But in my personal opinion, in about 5 years, alot of the new road bikes will be 135 rear and disc brake equipped. They make for stronger stiffer wheels which is what you will need for disc.   

That is my concern with a disk brake set-up is the ability to swap other wheels in the stable and road ride when needed for bad weather.  I also run a set of studded tires in the winter, when needed, and those stay on thier own set of wheels ....  so I think disk brakes are out unless there is a solution to wheel switching issues. Is their a way around this?   

Rudedog55 - 2011-12-16 9:23 AM  The other option is multi frame material, i would look for an aluminum bike with carbon seat stay and fork, I see a lot of Vodoo bikes on Ebay with that, it is a good combo and helps a bit with weight and vibration dampening.  

Great idea, thanks!!  

2011-12-16 1:35 PM

User image

Master
I say go old school and get a stainless bike. There are some amazing frame builders here in the midwest. Close to you Milwaukee Bicycle, Humble and Tati out of Chicago. Even Geekhouse or Spooky from the east coast. 

2011-12-20 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3941418

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

I added my own choice, best value.

Right now carbon CX bikes seem way over priced vs. Aluminum.

I'd probably rather have a carbon CX bike if the price was in the same range as aluminum, but normally they aren't.

My aluminum crux seems lighter than my carbon Cannondale, but also I know I have much lighter components on the crux than my Cannondale so that could be it also.

2011-12-31 11:21 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Full Carbon it is .......  Thanks Santa!

See everybody at Nats later this week!!!

(IMG00104-20111231-0540.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG00104-20111231-0540.jpg (68KB - 11 downloads)
2011-12-31 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3963639

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
badgerintx - 2011-12-31 12:21 PM

Full Carbon it is .......  Thanks Santa!

See everybody at Nats later this week!!!

Not seeing it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carbon or Alum CX Bike???? Rss Feed