UK Triathlon Forum England » Virgin tri and the Midland Sprint Series Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-26 3:14 AM

User image

England
Subject: Virgin tri and the Midland Sprint Series

Hi everyone, My name is Allen and i have just joined BT. I am 47, two stones overweight (which is a lot considering i am only 5'4'') a smoker and i am based in Mansfied, Notts.

I am totally new to the world of Triathlon and am attempting to go from couch potato to triathlete over the next few months.

My initial target is to enter the Midland Sprint series organised by One Step Beyond Promotions. The first race is in Lincoln on 22 April 2012 followed by Southwell on 13 May and finally Woodhall on 3rd June.

I dont expect to do any better than crawl across the finish line considering my current fitness level that leaves me out of breath after a jog to the chippy 150 m away!!! However that is about to change as i am following a BT training program and have joined one of the friendly beginner support groups.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions or tips for a total beginner with no kit apart from a mountain bike (with puncture) in my shed.

Also is the series i am thinking of any good? The races are all sprints which i think is all i should be aiming for right now but i do hope to complete a full triathlon before the end of the year if i can stay injury free whilst training my body to change from lard arse to supreme athlete!!!

Looking forward to hopefully chatting with a few fellow brits as the BT website is heavily geared towards the US and it will be nice to get the opinions of others on where to go for decent kit etc. in England.

Thanks in advance and hope you are all having a nice Christmas.

I'm off for my first ever training session now which luckily consists of just a twenty minute walk according to my program.

2011-12-28 3:09 AM
in reply to: #3953725

User image

Subject: RE: Virgin tri and the Midland Sprint Series

Hi Allen.

I live just up the road from you in chesterfield. I've done quite a few one step beyond events and always find them really well organised.Out of the sprint series only done the southwell one.One event i would recommend is the clumber park duathlon.It gives you a good gauge for your progress.They do a standard distance and a sprint one.

As for kit have a look on ebay. I got quite alot of mine off there. Also je james in chesterfield sell triathlon gear and going the other way tfn in nottingham are very good.

Hope this helps

Regards

Simon

2012-01-24 12:14 PM

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Hi Allen, I would say follow the training plan as closely as you can. I did the 20week balanced sprint programme before my first tri and it was great. Got me through the finish line in one piece. sprints are a good place to start but I reckon by September you will be wanting to have a go at an olympic distance race. If you have a mountain bike you would notice a big difference if you got some slick tyres for it but better still is to borrow a race bike if you can. Good luck and enjoy the training.
2012-04-21 1:36 AM

Hi AlanWill see you on Lincoln tomoz, My name is Simon and also from Mansfield , nottsThis is my first Tri and well looking forward itI packed the fags in 1 year ago and ran mansfield & Worksop half marathonsThe feeling of crossing the finish line is pricelessMy no. Is 115Good luck tomoz :-)
New Thread
UK Triathlon Forum England » Virgin tri and the Midland Sprint Series Rss Feed