General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HITS Series Naples Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-09 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Subject: HITS Series Naples
Anyone know how this race went?  I know their first one back in December (Palm Springs?) had some mixed reviews.  I'd really like to see them succeed and provide a nice alternative to WTC events.

2012-01-09 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3979515

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Subject: RE: HITS Series Naples

There's a thread over on the ST forum with some reviews.  It sounds like it was better but with some bumps for those in the lead.

I'm doing the full at Cooperstown in September, so I'm hopeful that they'll get all their kinks worked out by then.  I just hope more people register so I'm not out there all by myself!

Edited by ReginaPhalange72 2012-01-09 9:51 AM
2012-01-09 9:54 AM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

There are also a couple race reviews on this forum.  I hadn't seen those yet.

Did anybody do the longer races?

2012-01-10 2:39 AM

I did the Half.  I thought it was an amazing race.  Posted a full review on ST and will repost in the race reports.

2012-01-10 2:46 AM
in reply to: #3981242

For what ever reason I can't get the race reports to open up for me?????? So here's a copy of my ST review.

And since I've posted it, I did think of one other con- I didn't like that my swim split included about 5 minutes of running.  I know what I swam because of my watch but others might not be so fortunate. 

Still, I hold to my position that this was the best organized race I've ever done.

I have been a lurker but felt I had to post about the HITS race this weekend. My experience was very different than some on here. Perhaps y'all have just gotten lucky with the quality of races you've done. I have done some great races but also some real stinkers. I honestly believe HITS was the best race I've ever done- not performance wise but quality race wise.

I did the HIM. I was in the middle of the pack overall.

Here are my thoughts about the race.

Pro:
1. I thought the courses were GREAT choices. Flat and fast. Try finding a flatter course. And one u-turn. The last Oly I did had like seven u-turns, clearly designed by someone who had never raced a day in their life. I thought the maps were detailed, the courses were well marked but honestly, the course had hardly any turns, it was pretty much one road, out and back. Super easy.
2. I thougth the traffic control was awesome. I grew up in a major bike city so I know how great bike/car relationships can be- Florida is the opposite of that. If you don't live here you may not be aware of how much the drivers hate us on "their" roads. I had zero problems on the intersections. I did not have to make any major adjustments in my speed with regards to the intersections. Given how adversarial the drivers here usually are, I attribute it to the good traffic control.
3. Communication- my training group and I had many questions before the race. Every email was answered cheerfully and promptly. I've dealt with race directors before who wouldn't even tell me (or had it listed on any website) what the water temp is expected to be or what time transition opens.
4. Tons of volunteers in transition. Very helpful. Everyone kept asking me "what can we do for you, how can we help, how can we make this better." There was a woman who started the swim without a wetsuit (she had forgotten hers) and got out because it was way too cold. My friends watching told me that the HITS staff had gone into over drive to find a suit for her to borrow and she was able to go out and race.
5. At the pre race meeting the race director gave a nice presentation and when someone asked about drafting penalties I really liked what he had to say about integrity and how stupid it would be for age groupers to cheat themselves.
6. I liked the age group awards. Nice touch to really try to leave things on a high note.

Con:
1. Missing aid stations at miles 40 and 50 on the bike. It was fine for me since I carry on everything I need but this could have been major since they did say aid stations every ten miles.
2. That damn key fob. Really???? If I finish a race I want a medal. It can be a cheapy one. But a medal.

Other than the fact that it was really cold in the morning (not their fault) and that it was a very small field (again, not their fault except that January has a very full run calendar in Florida) it was a great, great race. I'll def. do more of their events.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HITS Series Naples Rss Feed