General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 3 - Brighton Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 3 - Brighton - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Brighton, Victoria
Australia
SuperSprint Events
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 30m
Overall Rank = 880/916
Age Group = F44-49
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5am after a restless night. yoghurt banana and a cup of tea. Drove to race, walked bike to compound. Got all the relevant stuff done, then just walked around listening to music - tried not to get into too many conversations. Bumped into a few friends - like 15 or so!
Event warmup:

Warm up - my wave due to go off at 7.37 so got into the water around 7.10am. Quite choppy so good to get a feel for the size of the waves and the current direction. the Sprint was to the yellow buoy with two pink buoys inbetween, swam to the second pink buoy to acclimatise to being out of my depth. Water very clear which was nice. Certainly got the heart rate down doing the warm up like this.
Swim
  • 12m 42s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

Because it was so choppy and I knew there was a current I kind of freaked out a bit and took my time getting into the water and getting my own space. Once we rounded the first buoy I had a mini panic - nothing major just a rush of adrenalin realising how deep I was. Also the smell of petrol from the lifesaving craft also disturbs me! I did see one lady just on her back kicking and I felt better then - once we turned for the shore I was fine, in face I drafted on a guy which helped a lot and matched him stroke for stroke to the shore.
What would you do differently?:

I need to swallow that start line fear, get in the middle of the pack and go hard for the first 200m. I'm a strong swimmer and I've got lots of OWS practice under my belt. No-one is going to let me drown!
Transition 1
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

New wetsuit is awesome to swim in and so easy to get on - not so easy to get off. I was running with my arms still in it as i couldn't get it off on the move. I will try some lube see if that helps on Wednesday OWS. I have a pool at home so can practice the transition every day if need be!

Well I need to stick with my resolution to get bike shoes! I'm never going to be able to jump on the bike so not worried about that. First time I've run into and out of transition, I'm usually to exhausted!
Bike
  • 44m 15s
  • 20 kms
  • 27.12 km/hr
Comments:

It was busier than I'm used to with lots of fast cyclists out there - which was good, had to concentrate hard. I wanted to maintain 30kph so a little slower than I would have liked. I was pleased with the fast sections, no wobbling.

BIKE SHOES! More training so I can maintain greater speed on the hills. i have hardly trained at all on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Well the best bit of not wearing bike shoes is that transition into runners is super quick! I am sooooo bad at stopping on the bike, going to practice that this week. I kind of practically fall off and end up on my tippy toes causing terrible calf cramps.

Training training training.
Run
  • 31m 28s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 17s  min/km
Comments:

I am not a fast runner - I went as hard as I could really. Not done any brick training but legs were not heavy straight off the bike so that was good.

Brick training. Some more sprint work to try and improve speed. Unfortunately I train for distance so these shorter races are slow for me as i stick to my usual pace.
Post race
Warm down:

A walk and a banana. A coffee!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of specific training. I only entered the race on saturday on a whim - just to challenge myself really.

Last updated: 2012-01-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:42 | 500 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 737/916
Performance: Average
Suit: Speedo
Course: Rectangular - out about 200m, 50m across and 200m back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:21
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:15 | 20 kms | 27.12 km/hr
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 733/916
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 laps. Out south and back north. Going out a bit of a headwind and more uphills. Great speed on the back - tail wind and more downhills, got up to over 45kph which is astounding for me! This average speed is better than I've ever managed so I am extremely pleased.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:28 | 05 kms | 06m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 822/916
Course: Beach track - some steps and a few tight turns and through some overgrown areas with no passing room.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-01-15 4:54 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 3 - Brighton
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 3 - Brighton Rss Feed