UK Triathlon Forum Wales » Newbie in Swansea - help!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-30 3:30 PM

Subject: Newbie in Swansea - help!!
Needed a challenge to get fit and lose weight so decided Mumbles triathlon in June would be a target.Maybe a little too adventurous given I don't own a bike yet........ I've downloaded the 20 week Olympic training for 3 disciplines and started it today.If there is anyone local who is contactable or can shed any tips then I am all ears.Diolch yn fawrBryn

2012-02-02 4:52 PM
in reply to: #4019215

Porthcawl
Subject: RE: Newbie in Swansea - help!!

Hi, sorry i did not reply before but i thought someone with more knowledge would post something. the best thing i can recommend is to join a tri club. you can private message me if you want and the maybe we could chat on the phone. all the best anyway.

spongy.Smile

2012-02-13 7:55 AM

2012-03-08 2:58 PM

South Wales, UK

Hello there

Hooray, you sound just like me!

I am in swansea, well Newton and turn 40 next year so my mate and i have decided to do the mumbles tri. I have ran up to half maratrhon before but have been injured for over a year and have two little ones in tow.

How are you getting on with the training? We r following the olympic training plan too. Not because we are that fit though, its more that if we miss one we wont feel so bad about it!

Are you working? When do you do most of your training? I have borrowed a friends 20 year old bike that he had sat in the shed for years. My partner has put new wheels and new brakes on it and i think it will be ok. The bike route is quite hilly and i cant believe its 20 miles. Are you doing the long or short sprint? There is another on in Port Eyenon in september...............

I look forward to hearing from you

regards

Diane

2012-03-09 4:32 AM

Porthcawl

Hi, great to hear that your enjoying the thought of doing a few tri's.

try to follow your plan the best you can, even if you only do a little something its better than nothing, and your body stays in its training phase, rather than repairing itself too much and then having to go through the ache again.

don't forget to look for a local club.

i'm no athelete, i just plod and push through my training plan, working it around shift work and the family.

i start the season with a sprint distance or two, then go on to olympic distance as i find this distance suits me better as i'm in my aerobic zone not anerobic zone.

your partner sounds handy with bikes so be nice as you'll need that assisstance as time go's on.

i you can run a half marathon then olympic distance will probably be good for you towards the end of the season.

just enjoy some sprint distance tri's first and book your tri's early not to be disappointed. 

regards

spongy

2012-03-09 8:41 AM

South Wales, UK

Thanks for the input, really appricaite it.

Unfortunately, I am now on day 6 of not training due to a chest infection and sickness which all of the family have had..................absolute nightmare. My chest is starting to clear and hope i will beable to get back into it by maybe sunday or monday. I am abit paranoid as i have ran when not well before that resulted in bronchitis so i dont want to go there ever again.

But i am unsure what to do regarding the training plan. I had got to week 4 which i had just completed then got sick. Where do i start of again? Should i start at week 6 as that is where i should be? do it with less intensity? repeat week 4?

Help not sure what to do?

Any advice would be really appriciated

Regards

diane

2012-12-08 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4088296

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
How did you get on Diane, did you do the Gower Tri. I'm totally new to tri (and fitness in general) so would be interested in how you got on.
2012-12-14 5:45 PM

South Wales, UK
Hi there, yes I did the gower Olympic tri and it was absolutely amazing. I think I grinned all the way round and talked drivel to everyone who would listen. A fantastic course, quite tough but beautiful especially the chips on the seafront at the end! I even got 3rd female veteran and got free entry for next year so I have to take part in 2013 now. I would highly recommend it though. Very well organised and lots of marshals. The swim was stunning just as the sun was coming over the horizon, and you have to get out and run across the beach half way through which I thought would be hard work but actually , it really broke up the swim. The bike was very hilly but beautiful around gower with a wonderful down hill from the top of cefn bryn so definitely worth the climb. The run was along the beach and up up up up up up a long hill and repeat. It was only my second tri but it was fabulous. Do you fancy it for 2012 ?
2012-12-15 9:04 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Yes, I am tempted for 2013. First I have to see how I manage to get on with the sprints first. What with not being able to run ( physio appointment on Thursday), to only just learned how to swim the past couple of weeks, to getting my butt used to the saddle on trainerroad.com, I should be able to, lol. Plan is to do the sprint to see how I manage it, but in all honesty, I probably will end up doing it. Maybe see you on Ironman Wales in 2014
New Thread
UK Triathlon Forum Wales » Newbie in Swansea - help!! Rss Feed