General Discussion Race Reports! » 26.2 with Donna - Half Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

26.2 with Donna - Half Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Jacksonville, Florida
United States
26.2 with Donna
25F / -4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Caught a stomach flu 2 days before. Spent the whole day in bed and throwing up. Was really concerned about hydration and nutrition catch up the day before but seemed to pull it together. Drank lots of Gatorade (something I don't normally drink) and some spaghetti and veggies for early dinner. Half banana and coffee in AM. Woke up a little later than expected but made it to race on time.
Event warmup:

Did a short run (~1 mile) run and some stretching.
Run
  • 1h 39m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out fast. Much faster than I expected (7:15 miles for first few) but didn't fall off my pace too much. I was anticipating a little under 8 min. miles for this race so am very excited by the outcome! This race was soooooo cold! I was fine with it until the last 3 or so miles over the intracoastal where the wind was blowing very hard.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure to pray harder to the Weather Gods for a warmer day.. :-)
Post race
Warm down:

Never thought I'd be colder at the finish than I was at the start. Got my warm clothes and tried to get feeling back in my hands. Did some stretching and got some soup and coffee mostly to hold to get my hands warm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe the cold? Not sure it limited me or made me faster. I didn't feel any problems from stomach flu. Overall, I am very happy!!!

Event comments:

Wonderful time!!! The support this race received from the community makes it very special.

Last updated: 2012-01-12 12:00 AM
Running
01:39:00 | 13.1 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Excellent! So much energy from volunteers and locals on the course! Could have done without the wind though. Loved the segment on the beach!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-02-12 5:53 PM

User image

Florida
Subject: 26.2 with Donna - Half Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer

2012-02-13 8:05 AM
in reply to: #4043439

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Subject: RE: 26.2 with Donna - Half Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer
Great job under what I might not call ideal conditions!  You're 100% right about being colder after the race as well.  The wind was brutal going over that last bridge at mile 12.  My wife and I both got pulled into medical because we were shivering uncontrollably and looked so bad!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 26.2 with Donna - Half Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer Rss Feed