General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 Disciplines Festival East Tawas. Athlete feedback Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-02-14 7:23 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: 3 Disciplines Festival East Tawas. Athlete feedback

I have been asked by the city of East Tawas to act as the liason for the 3 Disciplines Festival in East Tawas. I am in the process of grathering information to see what can be done to make the race even better. 3 Disciplines has put on a quality event, and now the City is stepping up and saying what can they do to improve the race.

I have been seeking information from the local businesses and residents, and I would also like some feedback from the Athletes.

What are you looking for in an event?

If you have competed at the 3Disciplines Festival, what did you like/ not like?

What would make the event better?

Generally, even if you have not competed in East Tawas, what makes a good event?

Also, what types of amenities are you looking for and what would make this better for you, family, friends, spectators?

What would induce you to compete in East Tawas?

2012-02-14 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4046266

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Subject: RE: 3 Disciplines Festival East Tawas. Athlete feedback

I've raced there 3 out of the last 4 years and am signed up to be back this fall.  You could not change a thing and it would still be one of my favorites and you and your city should be very proud of what has been done the last few years.  Please take any feedback below as more of wish list stuff than complaints.  Here are a few random things:

Convince 3D to add a short course Du to the mix.  I'd love for there to be an event for my wife and a few of my racing buddy's wives to do instead of just playing sherpa for us.

While my kids are a bit too old, I think an afternoon kids tri (while mom and dad are recovering) would be a hit as so many families make the trip.

I know it is nearly impossible, due to the logistics of crossing the main road, but I LOVED when the run was along the bay the first year.  The current run course is a bore.  If it stays the same, possibly stationing some form of entertainment along the route would help.  Corny as they can be, it take one's mind of things (or makes the push harder) when there are crowds along the way.  Thinking of this, adding timing mats along the route and having some form of athlete tracker available would be nice too.

I know there is a need to reopen roads, but I thought tearing down the turn around inflatable and some of the finish fencing before some could finish the HIM run was lousy last year.  Those at the back of the pack deserve the same "course" as those at the front (again, this was a 3D issue and not yours, but possibly something you could encourage them on).

Discounts on lodging, dining and shopping have been decent (more and/or deeper discounts wouldn't hurt).

You've got a good thing going.  It'll be interesting to see what changes you have for this year!

2012-02-14 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4046871

User image

Expert

Thanks for your input. I am working on this with 3D also, we all want the best event possible.

We are looking at putting everything on Newman Street, including the transitions. Opening up the parking lots and making access easier.

I know what you mean about the run. Its pretty boring, straight and flat. I do my training runs on a loop that takes me out to the lighthouse. A much nicer run. Our problem with thaking the run out there is a second crossing on 23.

I like your idea about a short course DU or a kids tri.

I am working with some of the businesses for triathlon discounts. Is there anyplace in particular that you go to, or items you would like to see available. The businesses are working on way to cater to the athletes and thier families/spectators.

I'm not sure about the logistics reagrding the tear down. If everyhting is moved onto Newman, and out of the parking lot, it will create less pressure to reopen the road.

Thanks for comming up, we are glad you are comming back.

2012-02-14 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Price wise, everything was fine and the discount at the resort we decent.  We've stayed at the Tawas Bay Resort twice and rented a small place on the bay the first year.  The pizza place, the ice cream shop and the bar and restaurant adjacent to the finish line (back by the food tent) were where we spent the most $ while up there the last few years.  We also had a great breakfast at a place on the bay a couple of miles south of the resort.  
2012-02-14 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4047401

User image

Expert

Price wise, everything was fine and the discount at the resort we decent.  We've stayed at the Tawas Bay Resort twice and rented a small place on the bay the first year.  The pizza place, the ice cream shop and the bar and restaurant adjacent to the finish line (back by the food tent) were where we spent the most $ while up there the last few years.  We also had a great breakfast at a place on the bay a couple of miles south of the resort.

So the list is Tawas Bay Beach resort, G's Pizza, Marions Ice Cream (thier son is doing the sprint this year) Barnicles, and Augies.

Thanks for your input. If you think of anything else that would improve your expeience, please let me know. 

2012-02-14 4:56 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

The wife and I have been to the last three races at Tawas and stay in the cities RV park.  Overall we really enjoy our weekend in East Tawas and consider it a must do with a wonderful swim and bike course.  Not sure what could be done with the run, I think it's better then the 2009 event but wish I could've done the run when it was along the paved path in 2008 but there is just to many athletes and traffic issues with that.

The one thing we noticed and were told by a local merchant is that they don't like the triathlon in town.  The lady we talked to owned a shop and said her daughter also owned something on Newman Street and that the triathlon weekend is there worst weekend for sales.  Something needs to be told to the merchants that are opposed to the event because besides the softball tourney nearby what is going to bring people to East Tawas after Labor Day.  I guess the fisherman that show up later in Sept to fish from the pier bring in better business then our group from our little conversation that is what I was led to believe.

I'm not certain what we spend in money in town, but it's a few bucks.  We normally walk downtown and window shop and spend a few bucks, eat at G's and have drinks at Jacks and another bar downtown,  though there in Tawas we shop at Niemans and the Do It Center too as prefer to frequent local establishments then big box stores.

In 2009 we spent a week in the summer at the state park to see the area and ride the course since we had signed up for the event in Dec 2008 and spent money in town along with another family that camped with us.  We returned in 2010 and stayed again in the state park to train in the area during July.  If traveling through on US23 we make it a point to call ahead to G's and order pizza, there programmed in our cell phones.

In 2011 we came up for 5 days for the race and plan on doing the same in 2012 since we enjoy the area so much and may push it to 6 days if the weather and things workout.  We also have increased our group that comes up and will have at least three other couples racing in 2012 up from two in 2011.  I'm sure there may be other's that have discovered the Tawas area because of this race, so merchants are seeing benefits at times they may not realize.

I think putting everything on Newman Street may work out better or even utilizing parts of West Bay street for the transition area along the store fronts of Normans, DQ, Hungry Howies, and Nordic Sports.  This would leave the larger parking lots open and maybe bring more exposure to the event with all the traffic that drives by on US23 (you never know who might get the itch to try a tri when they know there's one nearby), and still have the finish area along Newman without blocking Westover Street to confuse those unfamiliar with the city.  Having the transition area west of Newman would also cut down on blocking further north were we've crossed in years past, not sure if that helps traffic matters out but doesn't seem like it would hurt.  

There are other races ran by bigger companies the same weekend but we will continue to return to East Tawas for the foreseeable future for the race and who knows maybe for longer stays too once we retire which could be in the next few years.  We may have just kept on driving by on US23 on our trips to Harrisville if it hadn't been for 3D and the East Tawas race.

Can you tell we like it a little?  I hope this event continues.

Edited by rottieguy 2012-02-14 5:12 PM

2012-02-14 7:27 PM
in reply to: #4047692

User image

Expert

rottieguy:

Thanks for you input, I really appreciate your response. I grew up in the Detroit Area, and have lived here for 18 years. We love the area, so it makes us happy to hear other people say nice things about it. I'm glad to hear that you are comming back.

You touched  on a subject which actually caused the city to ask me to step up and act as a liason. I also heard some negative comments from I think the same business owner. That resulted in both 3D and the city to look at what was going on with the triathlon. Sadly, there are always some negative people, that miss the positives the triathlon brings to a city like East Tawas. The merchant you spoke to does not understand the positive ripple effect that bringing the athletes to town does for everybody. The good news is that the majority of businesses, citizens and the city see the event as a positive and want to foster it and do whatever we can to make it grow. This is a tourist town, and the vast majority understands how vital these events are for our economic survival. You can have only so many craft shows.

I believe that the event is going to continue beyond this year and well into future. I think after the 2011. There was a realization of how good this is for us, and that it is a great format for a triathlon.

I don't have a salution for the run. Maybe we can get the deer to jump out in front of the runners, to break up the run. They do a good job of jumping out in front of cars.

The State park is a great place to stay. I only live 2 miles from it, but we would camp there in the Summer ourselves.

I am one of those people who started doing triathlons, because I would see it every year on while driving on 23.

If you think of anything else, please let me know. Thanks for your time.

2012-02-14 8:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
What about taking the run out to Tawas Lake in some way.  Anything to see out there?
2012-02-15 3:12 AM

We went one year and really enjoyed it.  It would be a repeat for us in the future.  The only fault we have is school starts the week before.  The wife works fo the school district and the child attends.  That is our thing and nothing wrong with the race.  My point from racing is it was awesome.  My wife and daughters point from being a watching was they had fun.  I jumped on the bike and they went shopping and sat in the pool.  They came back, I put on my shoes to run, they went and had Ice Cream.  A happy family makes for a happy racer, or in my case partciapent.

My family owns several small businesses in a small town.  My brother whom owns a Funeral Home is very involved in local politics.  No matter what is done to draw in people to the downtown area someone complains.  I am sure you are going to hear the same thing from a few people up there.   Good luck

2012-02-15 7:05 AM
in reply to: #4047986

User image

Expert

AeroBaldness

What about taking the run out to Tawas Lake in some way.  Anything to see out there?

Its all residential around Tawas Lake. There are a couple of 5k's that go back there. Before I raced it run went through there.The complaint was that there were too many turns to get up running speed. They were not talking about my kind of running speed.

The people who lived back there liked it. I have one friend who would stand out by the road and offer to spray runners with her garden hose. An easy cool off.

2012-02-15 7:11 AM
in reply to: #4048237

User image

Expert

Puppetmaster

My family owns several small businesses in a small town.  My brother whom owns a Funeral Home is very involved in local politics.  No matter what is done to draw in people to the downtown area someone complains.  I am sure you are going to hear the same thing from a few people up there.   Good luck

That is what we discovered, it was a couple of business owners who did not see the big picture. The city manager posed the test question to the business association "if its such a pain why don't we let him go to another town." The response was an overwhelming NO, we want it here, its great for the community. I was happy to here that response, because I see it as a positive for the area. I also have an emotional attachment, because if it weren't for this race, I may never have started competing in triathlon. Plus, I think, its is a great all around venue. Its a beautiful, family oriented place and reasonably priced.

Thanks for your input.

2012-02-15 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4047986

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

AeroBaldness - 2012-02-14 9:23 PM What about taking the run out to Tawas Lake in some way.  Anything to see out there?

Ted, it went out that way in 2009 and as mentioned lots of turns, not that I thought that was a problem some may have complained about a short section of dirt road too.  The turns help me break a course down better when I'm hurting.  Overall I'm not sure it was any better then what they've had for 2010 and 2011.  It's not like your running along the lake.  In 2009 the course was over 3/4 mile to long for the half and that was my only complaint of that version. 

2012-02-15 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4048519

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
rottieguy - 2012-02-15 8:17 AM

AeroBaldness - 2012-02-14 9:23 PM What about taking the run out to Tawas Lake in some way.  Anything to see out there?

Ted, it went out that way in 2009 and as mentioned lots of turns, not that I thought that was a problem some may have complained about a short section of dirt road too.  The turns help me break a course down better when I'm hurting.  Overall I'm not sure it was any better then what they've had for 2010 and 2011.  It's not like your running along the lake.  In 2009 the course was over 3/4 mile to long for the half and that was my only complaint of that version. 

That's right.  I did the Oly in 2009 and remember that route.  Since my run split was 4 minutes+ faster in 2009 than this 2011, I vote for that course Laughing  Kidding, the new course is fine!  

2012-02-15 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4049387

User image

Expert
rottieguy - 2012-02-15 8:17 AM

That's right.  I did the Oly in 2009 and remember that route.  Since my run split was 4 minutes+ faster in 2009 than this 2011, I vote for that course Laughing  Kidding, the new course is fine!

I do wish there was a safe way to liven up the run course. I just don't know what that is. The 2009 race was the one that got me off my butt and decide to race in 2010. The day after that race was my first day of triathlon training.

I had read the complaints about the route going down Schill road in 2009. I like to spend some run time on dirt, it gives my knees a little break.

What do you think of the awards ceremony. We are looking at some different options for that, instead of the same chicken dinner.

2012-02-16 7:47 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

The venue for this race is excellent and love the area.  The swim in Lake Huron and bike course in the Forest are my favorites of any race I have done.  I have been to this race twice, HIM in 2009 and Olympic in 2010, and looking to come back again this year. 

It would be nice to take the run course out to the lighthouse but it is another US23 crossing so understandable.  That was going to be my recommendation but you already addressed it.  The current run course is better than 2009.  The one nice thing is that it is a fast run course.

How about a beer tent on Saturday night?  For most it is the last race of the season.  I think we bypassed the awards and dinnner in 2010 because it was expensive for non racers to eat and the food was not very good to justify the price. 

We always hit up G's pizza when we are there at least once and sometimes twice so discounts there would be good.

My .02.

2012-02-16 11:17 AM

User image

Lansing, Michigan

I'm doing this tri for the first time this year.  It will be my first HIM, and it has garnered an excellent review and rep.  My choices were this HIM or Cedar Point, so your competition is fierce :-)

Based on my limited experience so far, here are some ideas to kick around.  First, attack it from the family viewpoint.  Good sight lines at key points of the race  Maybe even cameras at key points on the race that send pictures/video back to big screens at the transition areas.  This would enable family members to watch for their athlete without having to drive out on the course (not that anyone does that, right Tongue out)  Easily accessible food and drink, at decent prices for the family is always appreciated.    Good places to set up lawnchairs / blankets / picnic area.  Shade or rain shelter, depending on the expected weather.  I think long-distance parking issues can be addressed by having good access to food/water/shelter for the families (i'm not sure if this is an issue for this Tri, but it has been at others I have attended).

As an athlete, I am always hoping for a nearby place to sleep at a decent price.  That is followed by a great place to eat the night before, and somewhere to celebrate afterward.  Michigan Mountain Mayhem has done a nice job with having a food tent with local restaurants providing the catering for the end of that event.  It is very cool!  Last year they only had it for the athletes, but this year they are allowing guests (for a fee) to also partake. 

Hope this helps.

Kent

2012-02-16 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4050329

User image

Expert

rymac

How about a beer tent on Saturday night?  For most it is the last race of the season.  I think we bypassed the awards and dinnner in 2010 because it was expensive for non racers to eat and the food was not very good to justify the price.

We always hit up G's pizza when we are there at least once and sometimes twice so discounts there would be good.

I'm glad to hear you are comming back. The beer tent is an interesting idea. In the summer, we do a live music night on Newman St., "Tuesday Night Live". Its a street dance format. I was kicking around the idea of extending that out an extra weekend in conjunction with the triathlon. Is that something that would be of interest?

I've been working with some of the resturant's to see what can be done. A discount with bib number or coupons in the goodie bags, or possibly a taste of the Tawases to go with the awards ceremony. We are still kicking around ideas.

2012-02-16 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4050866

User image

Expert

Kentcart

Welcome to the Tawases, I'm glad to hear you choose this race. It is going to be my first HIM. I've done the sprint the last two years, and moving up now.

I think you will be happy with your choice. It is a good family venue. Your family will be able to see the entire swim from the beach. The transition area and finish will probably all be on Newman Street this year (the main street in town, but not main street) so transition bike in and out run in and out all have easy access. Your famliy will have some different options for the run. The run is almost completely straight. The can see the first and last half mile from Newman street as it goes along Bay. I have friend that ride bikes to watch runners at the second turn. and there is pleanty of room to see the finish.

If you want hotel or camping suggestions, let me know. I well tell you where we send our family (we like them so these are the nice/clean hotels lol).

2012-02-16 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4050866

User image

Expert

double post

Edited by JBacarella 2012-02-16 4:29 PM
2012-03-17 8:10 AM

User image

Did the race in 2010 and the town seemed very accomadating.  I thought it was very well run and towns folk seemed pretty  nice.  My only suggestion would be to warm that darn lake up 58 degrees if anyone remembers that one.
2012-03-19 12:44 PM

User image

Marysville, Michigan
First of all, let me say how happy I am that the City of East Tawas has the foresight to see what a wonderful opportunity this is for your area. They can, and should, use this opportunity to turn this event into something greater. Not only for the attendees, but for the entire community as well!
Anyway, 2 main points that I was going to make have already been addressed: Music and a beer tent! For those who have attended the awards ceremony in the past, it is a riot!!! However... practically everyone was saying "we need a beer tent!" Yes, this marks the end of a long season of training/racing and athletes are more than ready to celebrate. It seems a no-brainer that the City could profit from beer sales as well, provided that the cost is not too high.
I have raced here the last 2 years and I have raved about this race to everyone I train and race with! Everyone who does this event agrees that it's the nicest race venue they've done.
Hands-down, the bike route is THE BEST! Most notable is the condition of the asphalt. The smoothest ride I have ever done! (I only wish I could train up there!!!)
Now then, yes, the run is not only boring, but offers very little shade. That made my HIM last year hurt more than I had hoped! I don't feel that turns in the run are a detriment, unless there is sand on the street, etc, and throwing in some dirt path running would be a welcome change.
The dinner has been good, but give this some thought: 'How about bringing in a local pizza place (or two) into the mix? As opposed to just going with one caterer, I could be a nice touch to spread the wealth to some local merchants, especially pizza! Not only will the athletes tear up a good veggie pizza, but think of all the kids who attend that don't go for all of that "grownup food."

2012-03-19 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4103106

User image

Expert

pseely,

Thanks for your feed back. It is interesting you raise the point of having other food, because that is something I have been working on with 3D, the city and local resturants. How about doing a taste of the Tawases. Basically sponsoring resturants provide samples of their finest foods for the ceremony along with discounts for the athletes who eat at their places.

2012-03-19 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4100457

User image

Expert

celticbass1

Did the race in 2010 and the town seemed very accomadating.  I thought it was very well run and towns folk seemed pretty  nice.  My only suggestion would be to warm that darn lake up 58 degrees if anyone remembers that one.

LOL, the swim is on the warm side of the point, you should try the backside where I do most of my training. Last year felt like bath water to me.

2012-03-19 5:05 PM
in reply to: #4103106

I agree with the "grown up food"  comment
2012-03-21 5:06 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Any discounts to local watering holes (and food) would be nice for Saturday night, or even Sunday since we hope to hang out a day or two afterwards.

Just upped my registration to the half today Cool

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 Disciplines Festival East Tawas. Athlete feedback Rss Feed  

of 4