General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Corpus Christi - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS Triathlon Series: Corpus Christi - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Corpus Christi, Texas
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 26m 14s
Overall Rank = 41/136
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/12
Pre-race routine:

Friday - Took photos of the transition area, found my spot. Walked the transition area for swim, bike and run so I had a good idea of where I am going. Drove the bike and run routes. Got a mental idea of where I can make up speed and pass people if needed. noted where intersections were pertaining to trafic since we only had the bike lane (not very wide, so must pass in the right lane of trafic. Had my trisuit, HRM, and strap for garmin on the bike. All other equipment was packed in the car. Filled water bottle with G2 (low cal gatorage - hey, its a sprint). Didn't fill or bring 2nd water bottle. filled Wash bottle (squirt any debris off feet prior to socks and shoes). Placed my gel and cliffblocks in my bento bag.

Event warmup:

Morning of: Woke up at 4:45. put on tri suit, HRM, and sweats. Ate a Luna bar, had my usual 3 cups of coffee (I know, I know). Loaded bike and drove to race site. Situated my T area with bike shoes in front, socks in the bike shoes. Placed shower pass jacket on stool if I felt I needed it for bike or run. about 25 minutes prior to start, applied glide, and walked to an area where I could relax and decompress. About 10 mins prior, I climbed in my wetsuit and had a Jet Berry HIGI gel (2x caffine). Stretched, did so light running in place and lunge walking. Listened to pre race anouncement and instructions. Climbed in water for wading start - was treading water about 3 minutes. I anticipated longer and was going to use treading water as part of warm up.
Swim
  • 15m 38s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was tough - I kept pulling to the right and having to re-adjust. At one point, was prob. a good 30 meters off course. Bouy was tough to see as it was extremely cloudy and still somewhat dark
What would you do differently?:

better swim warm up. more openwater swims in wetsuit and sighting.
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

The made us stop and 'mount the bike' at a specific point. Also made us dissmoint at the same point. I put shoes on prior to getting to mounting point.

Practice mounting with shoes clipped in, dismounting with shoes still clipped.
Bike
  • 39m 52s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.06 mile/hr

Not sure on this!
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Needed to replace laces with yanks and forgot.
Forgot the garmin on the bike.

Yanks. Put garmin on the wrist prior to dismount.
Run
  • 24m 45s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 57s  min/km
Comments:

Did better than expected.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, ate 1/2 banana, orange slice. Water - 16oz. Waited at finish line for friends.

Event comments:

the 'Fitness Festival' was lacking, and the pre race dinner was 100% pasta. Im not much on pasta or 'carb loading' 12 hours before a race. Gimme my 2 slices of pizza or subway sandwich and I am happy.

Last updated: 2012-01-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:38 | 750 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 50/136
Performance: Below average
Never felt like I got in a groove. Always felt like I was in Zone 5 - wasn't a very comfy swim. Attribute the swim to not getting more practice in open water with the new wetsuit.
Suit: TYR Hurricane 1
Course: Very flat, some wind off the water during the bike. Cycling was on road (bike lane was coned off, but narrow - had to pass in right lane)
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:19
Performance:
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:52 | 12 miles | 18.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 43/136
Performance: Good
Heart rate monitor said heart rate was way elevated for some reason. RPE was zone 3
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: relatively flat with some inclines and declines (I def. wouldn't say hills)
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 96
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:24:45 | 05 kms | 04m 57s  min/km
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 49/136
Performance: Good
forgot the garmin on the bike - no idea on actual heart rate. RPE was Zones 3-4 until about 3/4 mile to go. I picked up the pace too soon and couldn't sustain it to the finish - had to slow down some about 2 meters to the chute.
Course: flat and fast. No sun. Great temp
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-02-20 9:33 AM

User image

Cincinnati
Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: Corpus Christi - Sprint Course

2012-02-20 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4056483

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: Corpus Christi - Sprint Course
Any comments as to how well this race was organized and run??
2012-02-20 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4056493

User image

Cincinnati

This is their first year in Corpus Christi, and Corpus Christie's first year with half and full length IM.  It seemed a little disorganized since I didn't get the athlete packet until just a week prior with information on the packet pickup location, athlete dinner location, etc. 

I arrived later Thrusday and drove the course and took photos of the trans. area.  Talked with the staff.  The weatherforcast for Sat. race start was ominous - sever thunderstorms to move through an hour less prior to race start.  Mark, the director, answered all my questions.  Since I was there by myself, Mark even had me list him on the sheet to collect my stuff in the event I could not. 

Friday packet pickup, dinner, and the mandatory meeting went well.  The caterer was 'eh'.  I am not a huge italiant lover, so all the pasta and carbs weren't my thing.  The food did taste good though. 

Everything from my pespective went off without a hitch on Sat.  About the only issue was one of the large Bouys had issues, so they left the smaller one prior to the turn point, that way we could sight the turn.  They then moved the larger bouy to the shorter distance for the open/family race.

The on peave I have is that there was no clock at the finish with displaying the ellapsed time or even the time of day.  I had to goto the scorer table to get my time about an hour or so later.  The first printout had me as 29th, but for some reason, the official results had me at 41st.  no clue why. 

My big was one of the hotels that was a partner (Quality Inn on the beach) had no hot water the entire time I was there.  Gas leak at the street forced them to turn of the gas (for good reason).  Quality Inn made it right and did not charge me for either night I stayed.

2012-02-20 7:10 PM
in reply to: #4056483

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Nice job out there.  I had some friends who did this one
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Corpus Christi - Sprint Course Rss Feed