General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Corpus Christi - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS Triathlon Series: Corpus Christi - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Corpus Christi, Texas
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 28m
Overall Rank = 75/95
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 4:30 did not eat breakfast. I ate a big dinner the night before to fill me through the race
Event warmup:

not much
Swim
  • 39m 3s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

the water was cold! I wish i had a full wet suit but even still i don't think it would have made much of a difference. This is about my average pace.
What would you do differently?:

push myself more in training
learn to deal with cold water
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

this was the first time i did not have wet suit strippers. I guess i am spoiled but it really sucked

nothing
Bike
  • 1h 32m
  • 24 miles
  • 15.65 mile/hr
Comments:

the head wind was tough coming in but going out it was nice. I have never seen so many flat tires! There was no SAG wagon so alot of these people were left walking back!

train more, train harder
Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Run
  • 1h 12m
  • 6 miles
  • 12m  min/mile
Comments:

it was a nice course, there were only 2 aid stations with local water and then a different Gatorade. I thought it was coconut water others thought it was watered down store brand, either way both the local water and the aid were not drinkable to me, so i just did it with no fluids
Post race
Warm down:

sat on th echairs provided and relaxed

What limited your ability to perform faster:

maybe the cold water, and motivation. I have lacked serious motivation in training and racing these past few months.

Event comments:

this was a fun race however the orginization of it was horriable! but let me start with the good. I stayed around for the "open" race which consisted of all newbies. the guy running it was amazing!!! AMAZING!! he sat and talked with them all letting them know he was excited to have them and wanted them to succeed and for them to come back next year. Then he shook each and every one of their hands and memorized their names. made it feel very personal and I was glad i was there to witness that. It was inspiring!

Now to the bad.
at the water station they used local tap water, which is fine but if you are not from the area the taste is not what you are use to and can make it hard to drink. they should have used filtered water of some sort.

The packet pick up???? where was it? where is it??? I could not find any information as to the location of the packet pick up on the website. I drove to the start finish hoping it would be there. After talking to an official "a man in a yellow vest" that was standing in a driveway to a packing area i was told i was on the wrong side of the city. so i drove to where he told me to go and nothing! So i drove back. I found another man at a different location and asked him he gave me directions to my original location. When i got back there the man (still standing in the driveway of the parking area) said i was in the wrong spot, i said i was going to park and walk around anyway. as i was parking i saw a man in an official race vehicial pulling out. I flagged him down and asked where the packet pick up was. he said "right here" and pointed to the tent next to the start finish line. where were the little road signs or flyer or something? why did the guy directing traffic not know where he was directing the traffic.

No SAG Van. for the cost of this race they could have found some local bike shop to sponcer the sag van. There were a ton of flats and the roads were rough! I dont blame them for the flats or the rough roads, that is just part of racing, but for the money we paid there should have been a sag van to keep the people from walking back. which means some folks had to walk back 12 miles! in race shoes!!!

The metal! no joke my daughter has a chucky cheese (a pizza fun place) metal she got when we went for her birthday that is 10 times nicer than this! I like getting metals and they are cool and all but if i dont get one no biggie, i would have rather not got one then got this piece of junk. It is made of plastic! again i only complain cause of the price of admission! We did not get what we paid for.

Last updated: 2012-02-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:03 | 1640 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/95
Performance: Good
Suit: zoot sleeveless wetsuit
Course: 2 loop with a deep water start.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:28
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:32:00 | 24 miles | 15.65 mile/hr
Wind: Strong
Course: 1 loop/out and back course
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:16
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:12:00 | 06 miles | 12m  min/mile
Performance:
Course: out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2012-02-21 3:54 PM

Regular
Houston
Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: Corpus Christi - Olympic Course

2012-02-21 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4059063

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: Corpus Christi - Olympic Course
Wow.  Good job on what sounds like a tough day.  This is now the third race for HITS that has had easy logistical problems.  Doesn't bode well for Marble Falls in April.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Corpus Christi - Olympic Course Rss Feed