Slovenia
20C / 68F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 12m 19s
Overall Rank = 43/108
Age Group = M 20-39
Age Group Rank = 30/63
Pre-race routine:

Me and my teammates explored bike course. Then we set up transition and watched swiming, and supersprint triathlon competition.
Event warmup:

Easy run, streching and easy swim.
Swim
  • 13m 54s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

In February I swam 1500 m in 25:11 min, my goal for this race was 12 min or less. I planned to hold on to someone faster than me for as long as I could. In my lane was six more people. One of them said that he can swim around 11:30, others were slower than 13 min. "Fast" guy had a good start and I couldn't follow him. After the first 100 m he slowed down a bit. Until the end of the swim his advantage almost stayed the same as for the first 100 m. I got away from the chase group and swam alone on the second place (in our lane, not overall). Swim time includes 200 - 300 m run into transition. So I think my real swim time was around 13:00. I'm not happy with that time. I know I can go much faster.
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder from the start.
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Very slow transition.

Train transition. Leave shoes on the bike and learn to jump on the bike.
Bike
  • 36m 25s
  • 20 kms
  • 32.95 km/hr
Comments:

I passed few people and only one passed me. Almost entire time I drove alone, withouth drafting. I tried to hold on to guy who passed me. I gave him a few shifts, but he drove faster than me through corners. So after any corner I had to work hard to catch him. It became to hard and eventually I let him go. I started with biking few months ago and I'm still not confident on the bike. Cornering was my limiting factor in this race.

Improve cornering and try to find someone to draft with.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

Better than first transition, but still slow.

Train transition.
Run
  • 20m 19s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 04s  min/km
Comments:

First lap I run behind some guy who run his second lap. I started slow and gradually build up pace. In the second lap heavy rain set in, and run almost turned into swim. I didn't look at my watch but I think that I managed negative split. I could go harder but it was hard to motivate myself. In front of me I spoted a guy who passed me on the bike. I tried to catch him, but I started to late and didn't make it.

Run harder. Run wasn't tough but I couldn't motivate myself to go faster. I was suprised with my run time because it seamed to me that I was slower. My HR was very low. I usually run 5 km races at around 185 bpm, and today my HRmax on the run was 177.
Post race
Warm down:

As I sad before by the end of the run heavy rain set in. Temperature droped from 20C to 13C. So I jumped in a pool (water temp 27C) and swam a little. All of my shoes got wet so I had to drive back home with wet feet.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience, bike cornering and transitions. This was my first triathlon and I didn't set any time goals. I was happy to finish. Next time I'll try to go faster.

Event comments:

Rain spoiled post race activities. Race was good organized but there was few errors. My teammate had to swim extra 100 m because judges didn't count well.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:54 | 750 meters | 01m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 29/63
Overall: 42/108
Performance: Below average
HRavg = 173 bpm
Suit:
Course: Pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 27C / 81F Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:03
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:36:25 | 20 kms | 32.95 km/hr
Age Group: 37/63
Overall: 55/108
Performance:
HRavg = 174 bpm
Wind: Little
Course: It was two lap course. Road was wery narrow and there was a lot of sharp courves. There was only one small climb.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 105
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:19 | 05 kms | 04m 04s  min/km
Age Group: 18/63
Overall: 28/108
Performance: Good
HRavg = 172
Course: It was two lap course, mostly flat. Mostly gravel surface with some asphalt parts.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes