General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll New Orleans Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll New Orleans Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Orleans, Louisiana
United States
Competitor Group, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 43m 20s
Overall Rank = 2361/3699
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 258/335
Pre-race routine:

none
Event warmup:

none
Run
  • 4h 43m 20s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran the first mile in 9 min, then settled into around a 9:50 pace for most of the race. The first half was very crowded. I got blocked by walls of people many times and kept having to decide whether to slow down or weave in and around them. This really prevented me from getting into any kind of a groove. Definitely something I wasnt prepared for. I realized around mile 6 that I'd have to hit the porta potty eventually, so I started to look for any without lines. I found 2 without lines around mile 8 and as I ran up to one, a guy jetted in right before I got there... I turned to a second porta & 2 runners were already there. So, I decided to wait at the first one... it was only 1 guy... how long could it take? He was in there for 1.5 minutes! When he came out, I noticed he wasnt even a runner! He was a spectator. So frustrating... by the time I got out, I had wasted 2 minutes... but I was still on track to easily finish under my goal of 4:30. Around mile 10, I started to get a stomach cramp. I have always been able to run these out, but this one lasted the rest of the race! It wasnt horrible, but it wasnt pleasant either. This cramp really messed me up. I was trying to figure out why I got it... I think it was from eating/drinking too much pre-race and the first few miles. Whatever the reason, b/c of my stomach I couldnt eat/drink anything without it flaring up. So, I ended up only taking in 300 calories the entire race. This is may be what led to my struggles at mile 22. It was there that my stomach cramp got worse and my quads became really tight. By mile 23 I was still on pace to finish under 4:30, but I decided it wasnt worth killing myself over. Both legs were cramping and quads were shreaded. I stopped to stretch them a few times and couldnt even bend my left leg b/c it would tighten up and shoot me a sharp pain. I ran walked the last 3 miles at about a 14 min pace. Overall, I'll take it.
What would you do differently?:

Probably give myself more of a taper. My legs did not feel fresh on my short run the day before, or at the beginning of the race.

Also, I wouldnt go snow skiing the month before. I never had issues w/ sore quads until the week after snow skiing. That week and the following 2 were my longest training runs and I dont think my quads ever had a chance to fully recover.

Obviously, take in more calories... but less before and at the beginning.
Post race
Warm down:

Had to leave immediately after. Walked w/ Jen to the shuttle line. Took a 30 min nap at hotel, then shower, then drove home (6hrs). The only real soreness I had was my quads and back right shoulder.

Event comments:

Really enjoyed it... right up until mile 23... lol.

Last updated: 2012-03-16 12:00 AM
Running
04:43:20 | 26.2 miles | 10m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 258/335
Overall: 2361/3699
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %6-7
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3