General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Monitor Basics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-11 8:43 AM

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: Heart Rate Monitor Basics
I am just getting starting into triathalons and I am researching all the equipment. I've been looking at heart rate monitors and I have read a number of reviews. I'm getting a pretty decent picture of some of the features, but there are some basic questions that I have that all the reviews seem to assume the reader already knows the answer to. So, I thought I would my ask my very basic questions here. Keep in mind I haven't had a chance to handle one of these devices yet. I've just seen the pics and info on the web.

1) How does the sensor actually work?
2) Is direct skin contact required?
3) Does it work in the water? ie can you swim with them?
4) I've seen HRM's with straps and also strapless. How does the strapless stay put? Is strapless a good idea?

I know these are remedial and if there is a site that has good info please point me to it. Thanks!

Brittain

2004-06-20 8:23 PM
in reply to: #30687

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Monitor Basics
Doesn't seem like anybody's helping you out here. I am using one of Polar's lower end model and can answer from that point of view.

1) How does the sensor actually work? - Sorry, to me its magic.
2) Is direct skin contact required? - Yes. There is a plastic piece about 8" long and an inch wide that has the sensors in it, you attach this to an elastic strap and wear it snuggly across your chest. They sell some sort of conductive gel that is supposed to make the sensor work better but I do not know of anyone that uses it. I just out mine on and go. Others wet the inside of the sensor.
3) Does it work in the water? ie can you swim with them? They do work in water - assuming the model you get has a waterproof watch part. Saying that not too many people seem to wear it in the pool. The straps tend to slip and it is hard to swim and monitor your heart rate at the same time. I do wear mine under my wetsuit for open water swims or during races. The strap doesn't slip then and it works very good.
4) I've seen HRM's with straps and also strapless. How does the strapless stay put? Is strapless a good idea? Sorry can't tell you.

I do like training with my HRM. I am not a slave to it like lots of people are. I use it too make sure I don't red line too early or to have some kind of data to gauge what kind of effort I am putting forth. Sometimes I feel like I can push it a little more but then I look and see my heart rate is pretty high. Conversely, sometimes you think you are working real hard but look at your heart rate and realize you might be slacking a little. During the off season I will use it more to make sure I keep my heart rate low enough to build the aerobic machine.

Good luck.
2004-06-20 9:44 PM
in reply to: #32622

Veteran
Houston, TX
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. Since I posted the note, I continued doing some research and decided on the Polar 720i. It's a pretty neat little gadget. It turns out the sensor works the same way as an ECG. ie It measures the eletrical impulses of the heart beating. The "special cream" is supposed to enhance the conductivity. Sweat will do just fine as will just about any water that's not distilled. I sweat enough where this is not an issue!

The 720i is a combination bike computer and HRM. I got a speed and cadence sensor installed on my bike to go with the heart rate sensor. In addition it has an IR download to the PC and I can grab my bike speed and cadence and my heart rate (sampled every 5 seconds) and analyze it on my PC. It's amazing how it can really show you what's going on.

When I looked at the strapless, the only one I found didn't give a continuous readout so I skipped it.

I tried using the Polar when I was swimming and it looks like it would work if I was just swimming, but I train in a pool and everytime I push off the wall it went down to my waist. It works fantastic on the bike though.

Once again thanks for the reply. Maybe some of my info will help someone else looking...

Brittain
2004-06-21 1:23 PM

Halifax, Nova Scotia
A good trick when using the chest strap in the pool is to keep it at poolside and do your laps as normal, and between intervals / laps, stand up and quickly put the strap against your chest. If you can get a reading within 3 seconds you can get a pretty accurate reading of your heart rate. Any longer than 3 seconds and the heart rate will have dropped. This was a tip from a book called Time Saving Training for Multisport Atheletes by Rick Niles.
2004-06-21 2:36 PM
in reply to: #32777

Veteran
Houston, TX
Good idea. I'll have to try this. At least I will get an idea of where my heart rate is during the pool sessions.
2004-06-29 12:26 AM

Biking magazine listed the sigma sport pc 3 as a best buy of 2004. It's $45 and I'm thinking of getting it (sigma sport pc 3). It's 100% water resistant so maybe I'll embarass myself by standing up every few laps to measure my heart rate at the pool. That leads to my next point.

What are the benefits of using an HR monitor? I've read about training in the lower zones of the heart rate chart, but I'm not a believer yet. What is the point? I'm doing a sprint triathlon so I'm not sure this applies to me. It seems like I just have to workout every day and taper as the event approaches--hmm maybe I don't need to taper. I feel like I should get one. How should I integrate it into my training once I get it.

2004-06-30 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
I just bought Nike's C8 HRM, paid $100 at an outlet. Its great, has all the features I need.
2004-07-01 8:20 AM

User image

Regular
Virginia Beach, VA
Nate,
Check out the article in Triathlete Mag by Mark Allen in March of 04 or hit the local library and get Edmund Burke's "Precision Heartrate Training" or any Sally Edwards books. The helped me see the light and it has proven great dividends, even for sprint distance tris. The big thing is we mostly train to hard an don't really know it. By using how you feel during a workout and not knowing that you need to a recovery or day off after. There is some great info out there. Chris Carmichael has some really good info in thet "Ulitmate Ride." Good luck and remember to keep having fun.

Scott
2004-07-02 1:31 PM

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I got a S720i off of eBay for $220, new in the box. I love it so far, the strap is much more comfotable than I imagined and the cycle features and altitude are great here in Colorado, since I do a lot of training in the mountains. This is my first HRM, but if you have any specific questions about the 720, I can try to answer them...
2004-07-04 9:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thunder Bay, Ontario
I rec'd a Polar as a gift, just a basic model, but it sure does the trick. Especially since having a stroke, the unit helps me to keep control and I don't think i'd run or bike without it. My dr. even approved of wearing it. Although you may feel 'good' during the run/bike, inside you tells a different story..
2004-07-26 12:24 PM

Pro
Andover
Just wondering if anyone has used the Timex HRMs?

I just picked up the Timex IronMan Triathlon 50 Lap Digital HRM from Performance, on sale for $54.99.
I am not using any type of monitor now so I hope this will at least be better than nothing.

Thanks for any feedback!

HRM Link:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=12231

2004-07-27 11:18 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
MountainBreeze,

I just purchased the Timex Bodylink system (HRM and GPS). I'm pretty pleased with it. I used it on my bike and the Cyclometer and Bodylink system were both right on with respect to the distances.

What's very cool about it is that it calculates your pace right away, as soon as you start moving and is continuous. I travel a lot so this will come in handy for running new routes on the road. I'd give it 5 stars.
2004-08-21 6:40 PM
in reply to: #40438

New user

I'm going to back up Motivated on this one. I've been using the Body Link system for 3 months and it's nothing short of awesome! It is pricy, but I love not having to measure out my routes before I go for a run, and the software does a good job of helping you analyze how your zone training is going. Bottom line, I've used Polar for years, and am very happy that I jumped to Timex because I could get more features for less, and I've already noticed more accuracy on the Timex than my old Polar (which could be due to the fact that it was a cheaper model).

Which leads me to why I use an HRM.... I was a skeptic, until I started analyzing my heart rate and realized I was overtraining. I've learned what a "zone 3" workout feels like so I don't kill myself too early. Now if I want to, I can take off the HRM and not go out too fast, too soon. The big benefit for me in using an HRM is that it allows me to maximize my workout time...it helps me make sure I'm working my body hard enough to get the training value I want without working it too hard and breaking down some of the gains I've made.

Cheers!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Monitor Basics Rss Feed