General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Full Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Full Iron Course - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ocklawaha, Florida
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 42m 58s
Overall Rank = 3/22
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Got to race early with Nadine and Mark. Transition was just starting to get both the half and full athletes in so i had plenty of work room, to get things set up.
Event warmup:

Not to much , just going over the set up i had and how T1/ T2 was gonna work. Did get in around a 200 meter swim once i got down to the water
Swim
  • 1h 10m 43s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Overall a really good course and swim for me. Kinda what I was expecting, time wise but was a little faster then i thought. Only took on water once and had to clear it out of lungs, but that was within the first 500 meters after I got punched in the head.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing things went really smooth for me and very happy with how it turned out.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

T1 seemed to take forever but I was still dizzy from swim all the way out of T1. I was alone in T1 except some of the half athletes so had a stripper for wet suit and that really helped me out. Glad I skipped the arm coolers I had set to go, never needed them and would have had to put them on wet.

Remember my salt stick and anti fatigue cap, that I forgot to leave out for T1
Bike
  • 5h 22m 36s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.83 mile/hr
Comments:

Really I think I might have shoved the hills a bit to much on the first lap. By late in the second lap ( last 20) they was really killing me heading back into town. Mark and Nadine kept me up on time with where I was to the leaders. Started the bike in 4th and came off in 2nd. Although not till the 2nd lap did I know cause I was passing many of the half riders. There was moments where I wanted to catch the leader but knew the run was coming so tried to stay calm but found myself charging at times and had to keep myself in check more then I wanted.

Not to sure really, maybe go out easier and push more of the second half. Also get in more longer rides, I was sick for a few weeks, 20 days out from race. Had to miss 2 100 mile rides but there was nothing I could do about that but deal with it
Transition 2
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

Again the time seemed to stand still, Mark was telling me where the leader was and how much he was ahead. Forgot my Carbo Pro C5 water bottle on the way out. The course for the run had dirt so had to wear socks, which I really didnt like but had to go with them anyway

Nothing went pretty smooth
Run
  • 4h 04m 37s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Thought I had fluids under control coming off bike. and was catching all aid stations for fluids. I guess I was wrong, with the shade and winds keeping me dry. Found I was in pretty bad shape with dehydration almost half way through run. Belly was a bit sloshy but hat to deal with it till it went away. Then started feeling sick and things was wanting to come up. As much as I was trying to keep the 3rd place guy off me I knew it was just a matter of time before he would pass and about mile 16 he did. Swapped water for Coke and it helped my stomach calm down around mile 21 and was able to run walk the last. Much better then the walking I was forced to do so things would stay down

Late in the bike add more fluids and let them get in me before getting of and take in just a little more fluids on run
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing I really cant complain it was a PR by 1h 07min but do feel as if i could have went faster if run didnt hurt me so bad.

Event comments:

The HITS Triathlon Series rocks !! They put on a really great race for the first year out. Only expect better things from them to come. By far a outstanding series and look forward to racing with them in the future. If you have not raced with them I would suggest looking into making one

Last updated: 2012-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:10:43 | 3862 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 4/22
Performance: Good
Suit: wet suit
Course: the course was a out and back 2x , like it that way too. it was good seeing where you was along with everyone else. Plus there was really only 1 turn so things never got bunched up except the 1st lap, second seemed all alone out there
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:22:36 | 112 miles | 20.83 mile/hr
Overall: 2/22
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2 laps on a rolling course in the Ocala National Forest.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:04:37 | 26.2 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 3/22
Performance: Average
Course: It was a 2 lap, with a trail run of about 6 miles of it. But earlier in the day one of the half runners was hit by a car !! so the course got changed on the fly ( great job by race crew for doing it on short notice) So it put us on the trail for another 2x, sucked really but had to adapt to it and deal with it. there was more shade in there which helped cause out of nowhere I got really dehydrated
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-03-28 6:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Full Iron Course

2012-03-28 9:56 AM
in reply to: #4116574

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Full Iron Course

It looks like a fantastic race, Shaun. The only  possible thing you could have done better was work on that hydration and don't get sick 3 weeks from the race Laughing

I didn't realize it was a partial trail run!

2012-03-28 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4116963

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Full Iron Course
I didn't know there was a trail there either, totally caught me by surprise Sat. I was watching the awards from the sprint and Oly and started looking at peoples shoes and bloody feet. Talked to my friend Amy who did the Oly and she said socks ! so that was new to me I really was on the hydration on the bike, I really don't know how it caught me like that. Well now I know
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Full Iron Course Rss Feed