General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Returning to training after Spinal Fusion L5 S1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-01-06 10:27 PM
in reply to: #5049875

Subject: RE: Returning to training after Spinal Fusion L5 S1
I just completed a revision L3-S1 on 12/12/14. and wasn't able to train for 2 years prior. Without the long story... I have committed to returning to the best shape possible with a goal of completing a Sprint in a year. This was a revision fusion because I tried to get better too fast last time. There is NO rushing the body's recovery process. Our bodies are miraculous machines capable of doing so much more then we think they can. I am learning to listen and trust the messages my body sends in recovery..even when it wasn't part of my "plan."

Setbacks and depression are part of recovery, no doubt. I hate them more than anyone. But I am reminded by my support system that they won't last forever. Each night I make it through another tough day of recovery I remind myself that I don't have to do that day again. It's over and I am one step closer to who I want to be. I am careful to stay in the present. Thinking of where I want to get to can throw me into fear and depression. Last week I walked three times in a day for a total of .6 miles. Today I walked three times for a total of 1 mile...baby steps.

2017-06-13 4:50 AM
in reply to: Brittany91

Hi there, I am scanning through this threat as I have to make a decision in the coming days if I should go for a micro-discectomy or fuse L5/S1. Came across your kind reply below and wanted to check how you are doing now that you are several years past your surgery. Are you back to running and if so, how does it feel and how far can you go? Any other thoughts, regrets, lessons? I look forward to your response...
2017-06-13 7:06 AM
in reply to: Lemon2Lemonade

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi there - you're likely not going to get a response directly from the OP as it's a pretty old thread.

I was in the same position you were five months ago - debating whether to fuse L4-S1 or do a two-level disc decompression.  After talking through it with my surgeon, wife, and other folks that have had the same issues, I went with the decom.  Our rationale was that you can always get the fusion later if the DD is unsuccessful, but you can't un-fuse it.

The jury is still out on the outcome for me - still some pain and instability back there and I had some uncommon complications post-surgery that set me back a bit.

I know that doesn't directly answer your question but I can empathize with your plight.  Good luck!

2017-06-18 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4119884

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Just give it time, you'll bounce back. And come back slowly, don't try to over do it.

I had L5 S1 discectomy years ago. Docs told me I wouldn't be able to run and hardly bike. Within a year I was back to racing triathlons - and off road tris at that! Can trial run and mountain bike with no minimal soreness.

As someone else pointed out get a good saddle. I love the SMP ones. You might not be able to get into full aero again, but you'll be back to racing!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Returning to training after Spinal Fusion L5 S1 Rss Feed  

of 2