General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Pain on Inner Knee (Recently switched bikes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-30 11:26 AM

New user

Chevy Chase
Subject: Knee Pain on Inner Knee (Recently switched bikes)

I'm trying to do the normal self-diagnosis thing first. I switched last week from a road bike to my first tri-bike. I've been a marathoner and distance runner for the past 12 years so I'm fairly well versed in running injuries and issues and I'm not sure this is one of them. I did a professional fit on the tri-bike about 10 days ago, and did my first training ride on the bike Sunday (only 25miles). On Monday morning I was going to go for a run and I felt some pressure/irritation on the inside part of my left knee (ITBS typically on the outside, this was on the opposite side), when I would push off with the ball of the foot. My previous run was a 7 mile run 3 days prior with no pain or discomfort. The only change has been the addition of the tri-bike instead of a road bike. I'm trying to figure out if this could be due to the fact that now I'm riding in a different position and my body is just going through the usual aches and pains of doing something different, or if it might be something like needing to adjust the fit of the bike or maybe an issue with crank length. There is no pain when I'm actually on the bike, only when I'm pushing off with the left leg. Yesterday morning I went out for a 10mile run, there was some "pain" here and there for the first 4 miles or so, more like an annoyance (but much less than on Monday morning), then the last 5-6miles there was no problem. I then went out for a 2 hour ride last night and left great, but I can tell that if I was to start a run today, it would start with the same feeling in the knee initially. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

2012-03-30 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4120802

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Knee Pain on Inner Knee (Recently switched bikes)

Are you using the same shoes, cleats and pedals as your road bike?

It has been my experience, that knee problems on the bike usually come from this area.

2012-03-30 12:20 PM

New user

Chevy Chase
I've kept everything the same. Same shoes and pedals. I was recently talking with the guy that did the fit a few minutes ago, and he mentioned stopping by to lower the seat about a 1/2 inch or so.
2012-04-05 7:56 PM

lowering your saddle will not help your knee pain.  You are either on longer cranks, wider cranks, or your saddle is too low.  If your saddle was too high, you would have typical ITBS - bilateral.  Easiest way to diagnose is have someone hold a plumb bob dangle from center hip to foot on your bike. If your 2nd metatarsal is outside the plumb, more likely to get medial knee pain; inside, more lateral.  This is assuming, of course, that shoes, insoles, wedges, pedals, saddle height, reach and differential are all identical to the former bike. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Pain on Inner Knee (Recently switched bikes) Rss Feed