General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore ankles when running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-02 5:05 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Sore ankles when running

I hadn't ran in about 2 weeks and when  i did start again the other night i was getting muscle cramps in my calves and the muscle beside my shin (not sure what its called) i put this down to them just not being fully used in 2 weeks or so.

But I also was getting sore ankles... i run on concrete / tar so that could be it.

Anyone out there get the same thing, and if so i could do with some stretches or prevention methods to help. Its stopping me from running the full distance i want to. 

Cheers

2012-04-02 5:32 PM
in reply to: #4125635

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Sore ankles when running
where was it exactly getting sore on the ankle ?
2012-04-02 5:34 PM

User image

Regular

Just kind of at the ankle bone. It's not like agony but I don't want to push it in case I injure myself. Especially seeing as I dont know what it is....

2012-04-02 5:37 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Probably it's nothing other than aches and pains due to coming back a little too quickly.  Back off, and listen to your body.
2012-04-03 7:42 AM

Master
Memphis, TN
Every run for me.  Especially if I haven't run in a week or so.  Part of it is just the discomfort of running and your tendons and muscles getting used to the beating.  However, when I came back to running after being off for many years I disregarded this pain as an annoyance and wound up with shin splints in physical therapy.  After your run make sure you stretch but not over stretch that can do just as much damage and use a foam roller.  I like "the stick" personally. 
2012-04-03 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

There is something to be said for 'HTFU', and a certain amount of ache and pain is to be expected when you start running after a LONG break...but 2 weeks isn't much of a break. Were you getting pain before the break as well?

It sounds like you may have been pushing a little too hard pace wise. Are you able to run pain free at a slower pace for a longer period? I'll feel a bit of shin splints after an interval session where I'm knowingly holding a faster pace for longer than I'm comfortable, but it's a pretty controlled thing, goes away after an hour or so. Compression socks are a really wonderful invention, maybe give those a try? Also, how old are your shoes? You may simply have worn them down and be ready for a new pair, injury is a sign of that sometimes.

2012-04-03 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD

Couple of things that have caused me to have sore ankles. Mine seem to be chronically crappy, but they are managed and I'm up to about 20-25 MPW.

1) Inadequate stretching before and after running. I make sure a flex the ankle all around and go through the whole range of motion before and after the run, that seems to help.

2) Going too fast - Hammering around every run is hell on my ankles and makes them very sore. I slowed down about 30 sec a mile and seemed to help.

3) Putting my foot down too far in front of my body. These days, if I feel any twinges or soreness, I make sure my foot is striking no further forward than my hips. It's partially related to number 2.

4) Cycling with tight ankles. If I do a hard bike and then run the following day, I've sometimes found my ankles are sore. I traced most of the problem to pedaling with my heels up. If I keep my lower leg as relaxed as I can, it's not nearly as sore to run on the following day.

As always, YMMV, but these have helped me avoid everything except the usual soreness you get when starting a run.

Good luck!

John

2012-04-04 7:14 AM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Had chromic problems for years, which have been at least partially resolved by changing style of shoes. But there was quite a bit of trail and error to get me to a place where I know why type of shoes will work for me.

I also realized my shoes, but also my gate, were determining how my foot would strike. In my case, the faster I run, the longer my stride, the more favorable my strike. Which was also helped by the shoes (pronoation). I realized that if I run longer distanaces at a slower pace I am striking differently, and thus aggrivating muscles and my ankles at an accelerated. At least that was my story. I did all the exercises in the world, and they didn't do much, but the changes mentioned above were critcal for me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore ankles when running Rss Feed