General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf Cramping during long swims??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-02 9:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Subject: Calf Cramping during long swims???

I swim with absolutely no cramping whatsoever in my training.  OWS included.  In my 2 Ironman events may calves cramped up extremely bad.   After the swim I can feel my calves aching the whole day.  It really hurts on my run the most as I mid-foot strike.  After the event I can't put my heels to the ground for a few days.

I roll out religiously with a foam roller as well since this happened last July in the Full Vineman.  Thought that would do it.

Why is this happening??

2012-04-03 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4126056

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Subject: RE: Calf Cramping during long swims???

I can't say I have ever experienced my calves cramping during swimming, but used to frequently get painful cramps in the bottom of my feet. To the point that I would have to stop mid swim. Which now that I think about it could be related to my calves. I've been swimming almost my entire life and cramps like this are not uncommon in swimming. It makes sense since in freestyle you have your toes pointed the whole time.

In practice do you drink water? Perhaps you are getting dehydrated during the swim?

Edited by MechEChick 2012-04-03 9:30 AM
2012-04-03 10:22 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I get them sometimes.  "Over-pointing" your feet/toes is the typical culprit.  Basically, too much tension in your muscles for your flexibility/fitness.  Can usually be helped by improving your swim fitness overall and focusing on keeping your legs relaxed during the swim.
2012-04-03 9:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
I know what you are talking about. I believe this issue is related to the wetsuit. I can hammer the swim without a wetsuit - no issue. However, a hard swim in a wetsuit and start to get some calf cramping, though not as bad as you. I suspect the wetsuit impacts the bio-mechanics of the leg kick and the calf muscle gets stuck in a certain position. One idea I have tested that I think helps, but am not certain, is to lube up the calf so that it moves more freely in the wet suit. This also helps in getting the wet suit off.
2012-04-03 10:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Thanks! All very good info so far. I will take it all into account!
2012-04-04 5:11 AM

I hav had this problem It sucks! Since iv been doing this exercise it has stopped i also take started taking magnesium supp before bed these r the only things iv done and it hasnt happened again.Youtube: 33.1 Hamstrings Sciatic Nerve Mobility ExerciseMy physio gav me this for my hammiesI do this exercise 3x20 reps each side, but the little twist i added (for say half the reps) is to point the tow while extending the knee u will probly feel a massive pulling sensation down the front of your shin. I do this every day. It looks really easy but its accrually really hard lol

2014-10-17 11:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
The longer I go without doing some moderate calf exercises (proper standing and seated raises) the more likely my calves are to get tight and cramp. Much of swimming has the calf plantar flexed (toes pointes) for proper kick technique - I've intentionally dorsi flexed many times during long swims just to try to keep em loose in the water

Jeez, I have no idea why i resurrected this thread (totally misread the date - DOH!

Edited by TJHammer 2014-10-17 11:23 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf Cramping during long swims??? Rss Feed