General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Numb Toes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-06 7:40 PM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Subject: Numb Toes
Every time I ride over 15 miles I get numb second and third toes.  I'm concerned about developing Morton's neuroma -- I do not have this problem from running.  Help???

2012-04-06 9:21 PM
in reply to: #4134829

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Subject: RE: Numb Toes
Are your cycling shoes too tight in the toe box?  Could also be cleat placement and/or the type of pedal/cleat system you're using.  Some people (like myself) find that they need a larger pedal-to-cleat contact area, in order to achieve foot comfort.  Or your cleats might not be in the correct position for you...sometimes moving them further back a bit (so that the cleat is positioned more under the ball of the foot) helps with numbness and hot spots.   There are lots of different factors involved...you may have to experiment a bit to figure out the source of the numbness.  Good luck! 
2012-04-27 9:39 PM
in reply to: #4134829

Subject: RE: Numb Toes

If you squeeze your foot (as if trying to reduce the width of your foot) and this recreates your symptoms, then Morton's neuroma is a potential diagnosis. In this case, cycling shoe width is likely the culprit.

Given the difference in position of your body during riding vs. running, you may consider an L5 radiculopathy (from the low back being in a flexed position). You may also consider less common causes such as peripheral nerve entrapment (superficial peroneal nerve). This would be caused by your knee and tibial angles/rotation so if your riding position has not changed (since pre-injury), I would be less concerned about this one.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Numb Toes Rss Feed