General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie Just Signed Up For First Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-08 9:46 AM

User image

Navarre, FL
Subject: Newbie Just Signed Up For First Tri
Ok, so here it is, I just signed up for 'My First Tri' in NW Florida. I have been running for years, cycling for months and swimming as often as  I can. The race isn't until June 16th so I've got plenty of time. I am writing on here to ask this: Does anyone know of any good FREE training plans? I do research and look up different ideas all the time, just wanted to know if anyone had connections to a solid plan or good info? A little background on this race, it is a 200m swim, 8mi bike and 2.5mi run.

2012-04-08 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4136532

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Subject: RE: Newbie Just Signed Up For First Tri

There are free training plans available on this site.   Explore  and you should find them.

Added:  Click on "Programs."   That should get you started.

Edited by MadMathemagician 2012-04-08 9:57 AM
2012-04-08 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4136532

User image

Subject: RE: Newbie Just Signed Up For First Tri
You don't need a formal training program. You are already there. Swim, bike, and run twice a week and take 2 rests days per week. Make one of your days a bike/run to get used to the transition. You won't need to swim much more than half a mile, bike 15 miles at the most(on a wind-trainer if you prefer) and run 3-5 miles twice a week.

If your next race is longer than use the same format but increase the distances. If your swimming needs work I would perhaps add one more swim work-out per week if the distance increases.

For the short swim in the race you have planned for June you should be okay.

The key is to always include rest days in between training days. Often beginner triathletes end up injured by doing too much too soon.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie Just Signed Up For First Tri Rss Feed