General Discussion Triathlon Talk » one of those questions I'd only ask here - saddle comfort and tmi Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-11 7:01 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: one of those questions I'd only ask here - saddle comfort and tmi

I feel like I've been here long enough and read threads about all sorts of biological realities with training. The kind of stuff you don't post on facebook. So here it goes....

I don't look in mirrors much. Now that I have significant weight loss, I started to look more. I went to the pool last night and had the locker room all to myself, so I was checking out the full length mirror, seeing how much more I still have to lose. (And it is a lot, trust me.)

But I noticed something that makes sense with my bike issues. I'll just say it. I have no butt. Seriously, like there's nothing there. Even when I weighed 360, I never called myself fat-a$$ because it was the one area of me NOT bulging out of my clothes. The overall fat content was still high as even my arms had that, but now that I am shedding, it's becoming clear.

I am having major saddle discomfort. I did a 10mile trainer ride yesterday, then made lunch for my 5 year old, and came back to do more. I couldn't handle sitting.

I have an appointment tomorrow night for my first ever bike fit. I even have extra padded shorts the bike shop guy recommended.

I know at least zed watches King of the Hill. This is just like when Hank Hill had to get special pants to sit on his mower.

I told my wife I need to watch one of those infomercials for Brazilian Butt or whatever it is. It's funny, but it's literally a pain in the behind.

Thoughts? (And no TTIWWP comments - not happening. The internet has standards you know.)

2012-04-11 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4142643

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: one of those questions I'd only ask here - saddle comfort and tmi

You suffer from what a large proportion of overweight caucasian men suffer from called skillet a$$.  In that it looks like you were hit in the butt with a skillet.  You do have a butt, it has just stayed the same size while the rest of you grew.  As you continue to drop the pounds it will not shrink but will become more poroportional to your frame.

Also consider mixing in some lunges to any strength and conditioning work you might be doing.  Unfortunately your weight is leading to alot of your discomfort I believe and as you get more time in the saddle and continue to shed pounds you'll see the discomfort decrease.

Also a good bike fitting will help, and perhaps a change in saddle.  I myself have an Adamo typhoon because despite losing weight and a good bike fitting I just couldn't get comfortable on any rides over 40 minutes or so.

Hope this helps, whatever you do don't stop.  Your journey inspires more people than you know.

2012-04-11 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

I have never heard that term, but I think I am all over it now. Sounds like a metal album name.

Lunges you say. Right on it.

The weight loss is steady. Posting a loss every week since mid-January.

I will talk to my fitter about saddles. Really didn't want to spend more money, but considering how long I want to be riding, another 100-200 is well spent.

2012-04-11 7:59 AM

User image

Pro

Get the fitting, ride for a few weeks. During that time if you have 'hot spots' let the fitter know and they can adjust.

If its not better, try a number of different saddles. Most LBS's will have a rent to buy or trial program.

You'd be amazed what a good fitting and a very tiny adjustment can go for comfort. A lot more than heavily padded shorts. When it's right, you'll probably want to switch to tri shorts or bibs, they are actually more comfortable for a lot of people. I wear bibs or tri shorts for anything under around 5 hours. After that, you're gonna feel it anyway!

2012-04-11 8:00 AM

User image

NC

I have no arse - before weight loss and after.  Also, much to my disbelief, I have virtually no fat on the balls of my feet, but that's another story and problem.  Anyway, your fit will help.  Time in the saddle will help.  More weight loss will help.  You might want to try shorts with regular padding, not extra.  I sort of subscribe to the Tom Demerly theory on saddle comfort - toughen up.  That being said, and to address all the people that have found a miracle saddle, I've never really had any major problems with my stock saddle (road bike), only discomfort that has gone away with time.  Luckily, my quick fit at purchase was essentially the same as my proper fit that I got recently.  With no arse, you do have the advantage of being able to really feel where you sit bones should be on the saddle.

Edited by Goosedog 2012-04-11 8:01 AM
2012-04-11 8:06 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
As you continue to drop the weight, your skin is also going to be a little looser in areas... so there may be a bit of extra flesh rolling around in spots and what not until the skin resizes itself and tightens things up. Not much you can do about that, but at least you can be aware that it may be a cause and at least that much of it should fix itself in time.

2012-04-11 9:04 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
First of all, you won't be as comfortable on a trainer than you will on the road, you're more stationary in the saddle.

A bike fit is definitely a good place to start. Most saddle issues are actually fit issues. Also, make sure you're saddle is not too soft, that will cause pressure and pain. A common misconception is that you need a softer saddle if riding hurts, but that's only true for very short distances (hence city bikes usually comes with soft saddles), after that you will need support, which a soft saddle doesn't offer.
2012-04-11 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Definately do lunges, if you are a member to a gym they have machines that specifically target your glutes so they become more defined. X2 on the adamo saddle, these saddles are also easier on your man parts as well. Good Luck!

2012-04-11 10:07 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Another issue that might come up during the fitting is how you are sitting on the saddle.  Unless you are correctly sitting on your sit bones, you will probably be uncomfortable.
2012-04-11 10:10 AM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Hmm.

Firstly, you deserve- and get from me- credit. Your accomplishments are impressive.

About the saddle issues:

We need an interim solution here as you lose weight. This is not a matter of "what saddle is best" it's a matter of keeping you on the bike.

1. Check your saddle height. If it's too high, there is too much pressure. Lower it a trifle.

2. Get a bigger saddle; a big, cushy gel one that you can tolerate.

3. Padded bike shorts. Mega-padded.

Those are the big three I think. I hope things improve. I admire your resolve Sir. It's inspiring.

Here's an impressive looking cat for you:

Image Detail

(I like cats).

2012-04-11 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4143231

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Hook'em - 2012-04-11 10:07 AM Another issue that might come up during the fitting is how you are sitting on the saddle.  Unless you are correctly sitting on your sit bones, you will probably be uncomfortable.

x2, and this is largely regardless of weight. Forgive the term, but you don't have a lot of fat cells in your taint area (feel free to ask privately what that term's etymology is if you're not familira, it's quite funny), so while the amount of pressure will vary with your weight, the absolute sitting position and comfort in it is really just time in the saddle. So yes, your crotch will improve with T.I.T.S. (haha). I notice a lot of novice riders sitting on their tailbone, probably left over from riding town bikes, bikes as kids, etc. A road bike and the appropriate saddle position is a different animal.

2012-04-11 10:27 AM

User image

New user

I would not worry about this until you ride outside.  Trainers are just hard to sit on.  There is no dampering between the seat and the road. Outside, the air in the tires provide this cushion.  On the trainer, you are sitting on soild components.  I can ride for hours outside, but only a few minutes on my trainer.  I can ride for hours on my rollers.  I've had to sit on a towel before on the trainer just to get through a short workout. 

2012-04-11 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

Awwww, what a pretty kitty picture!!! I love cats.

I have no advice as I am a white girl who has had a ghetto booty since I was an otherwise scrawny 10-year-old. I am amused, though, at the phenomenon of asslessness among white people.

And I wanted to say major kudos on the weight loss!!

Edit: I just caught that you're talking about a trainer ride. I have to agree that a trainer makes a big difference. My butt (which, as I've mentioned, is sufficiently padded) HURTS after a 2-hour trainer ride (longest I've ever made it on a trainer without becoming homicidal) but I can ride longer than that with much less pain.

Edited by runk8run 2012-04-11 12:33 PM
2012-04-11 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

Thanks for all the great input. I'm printing the thread and bringing all points of view to my fit session.

I am also glad to hear the road is better than the trainer. I haven't been out much even with the nice weather, since the schedule for workouts has been while one or more of the children are home with me. (My wife works normal hours, me not so much.) I did a 18 mile ride a month ago that left almost no discomfort, as opposed to these trainer sessions. As for last year's minimal riding (364 miles total, that's it) I just assumed everything would be uncomfortable from the start, but it's time to get out there longer and not feel it so much.

2012-04-11 12:43 PM
in reply to: #4143641

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

"I am a white girl who has had a ghetto booty since I was an otherwise scrawny 10-year-old. I am amused, though, at the phenomenon of asslessness among white people."

From the front I'm a white male. From the back I'm one of the Kardashians Surprised. It's a curse but at least I never see it and I always sit comfortably.

2012-04-11 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4143651

User image

New user
Also note, outside, you don't exactly sit in one spot all the time like a trainer.  Your weight is always shifting left,right,forward,backward depending on the road.  On a trainer, your weight has one place to go...straight down on the seat. I'm referring to sitting and not standing on the pedals.  There is probably one exception for outside, this is when the temps get 35ish or cold.  Then the seat just feels hard from the start to end, not as bad as trainer, but enough to be a pain.

2012-04-11 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
, Nova Scotia
I had the same issue. I dropped 45 lbs in a year and my SO complained that I had no butt. When I moved from running to tri, I had a lot of saddle issues. Four things helped:

1. Good bike shorts. Don't cheap out (I tried). I like Sugoi Evolutions and have two pairs. Once you find a short that works, by a second pair before the manufacturer "improves" them (pet peeve).

2. A good saddle. IMHO, bike makers should treat saddles like pedals and not bother installing them. It is easily the most personal contact point with the bike. Your LBS will likely have some loaners for you to try. I have had great success with a Specialized Tri-tip, and have one on my roadie and one on my tri bike.

3. Get fitted by a pro. Go back until it is perfect. The fit on my B16 is so dialed in now that, when I get tired, I want to relax forward into the aero position.

4. Chamois butter. It is unbelievable how effective a big dollop of this stuff is on your shorts and butt.

Love that KOTH episode.
2012-04-11 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4143679

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
Tom Demerly. - 2012-04-11 1:43 PM

"I am a white girl who has had a ghetto booty since I was an otherwise scrawny 10-year-old. I am amused, though, at the phenomenon of asslessness among white people."

From the front I'm a white male. From the back I'm one of the Kardashians Surprised. It's a curse but at least I never see it and I always sit comfortably.

My measurements are very very close to what Kim claims hers are.

2012-04-11 7:16 PM
in reply to: #4144251

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
runk8run - 2012-04-11 5:14 PM

My measurements are very very close to what Kim claims hers are.

OK so if I weren't a married man, I'd have to respond with "how YOU doin'?"

I'll check with the LBS close the fitter's place about borrowing some saddles for the fit and seeing if I might buy one. I think that may work out.

My fit session is tomorrow night. Looking forward to it, and thanks again for all the input. And the cat. I feel special for getting a Tom D cat.

2012-04-11 8:21 PM
in reply to: #4143679

Veteran
Honolulu
Tom Demerly. - 2012-04-11 12:43 PM

Lmao Kim Kardashian doesn't have skillet asss , it is abnormally big for her body though. If I was as rich as her I'd have the bomb quiver of tri bikes and do races all over the world! Btw Claww ask the fitter to measure your sit bone width to see what size seat you need, 138, 143, or 155

Edited by HonoluluAngel 2012-04-11 8:30 PM
2012-04-12 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4143231

Master
Memphis, TN

Hook'em - 2012-04-11 10:07 AM Another issue that might come up during the fitting is how you are sitting on the saddle.  Unless you are correctly sitting on your sit bones, you will probably be uncomfortable.

x2 on this.  I had that problem last season until my bike fitter pointed this out to me.  She told me to make sure my back is straight and not hunched over and push my chest out and hold my shoulders back while leaning forward on the hoods.  It's helped me tremendously so far this season.  give it a try and talk to your bike fitter about it. 

2012-04-12 7:52 AM

Veteran

just out of curiosity what is your weight at now? I have seen other threads by you about losing weight but dont remember starting point or current point.

As you obviously already now the bigger you are the more pressure on your bum as that is the part of your body supporting almost all your weight on the bike. Also, as other have mentioned tyhe trainer is mega uncomfortable for most (myself included). Outdoors i am ususally good for 4-5 hours before any discomfort sets in. On the trainer I get about 60min-75min before I just cant take it anymore.

As another person who lost a good amount of weight (40lbs to dateLaughing) understand that the seat that amy be comfortable now because of your needs and weight can and might change as you lose weight. Find something that works for you now but know it will change as your weight keeps dropping ans this includes your fit on the bike as you will be able to get lower and possibly more flexible.

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » one of those questions I'd only ask here - saddle comfort and tmi Rss Feed