General Discussion Race Reports! » Belews Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Belews Lake International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Greensboro, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
52F / 11C
Total Time = 3h 00m 15s
Overall Rank = 64/128
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/23
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4AM. Eat PB&J, grabbed a cup of coffee and got on the road.
Event warmup:

None. It was chilly and I just swung my arms around a little bit and stretched my legs a tad before getting in the lake. The lake was closed for w/u swims at 7:45 and I did not start till 8:42:20. I did not want to have to wait around wet and being cold for so long.
Swim
  • 34m 54s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt suprisingly good in the swim. I am a poor swimmer and was surprised that I got to pass so many people. I am happy with my swim result. I shaved 8 minutes off my swim time from my last Oly last August.
Transition 1
  • 03m 52s
Comments:

I came out of the lake very dizzy. I could not find my pull strap and could not walk a straight line. Forgett running or rushing. This has never happened to me before. Put on helmet before I realized I forgot to put on my long sleeve shirt. Had to take off helmet again. Very uncoordinated and still dizzy.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 12s
  • 27 miles
  • 18.37 mile/hr
Comments:

I just could not get my mind into "race mode". The headwind gusts were extreme at times. I felt like I was not moving at all. Got stuck behind groups of people in akward spacing at times that I felt I could not overtake at once. So I actually slowed down some to stay behing. If I could have had my usual race mode mind set I would have gotten out of the seat and blew past them. Overall I was quite happy with the end result though anyway. I just did not want to push to hard or hurt myself 3 weeks before my first HIM
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Racked my bike on top of my running shoes?! Started running towards the bike exit till people yelled at me and told me I went the wrong way! Was right outside T2 and remembered I still had my longsleeve shirt on. Took it off while still wearing my hat and got my hat stuck inside the shirt. Dropped my sunglasses. I was never so unorganized in my transitions - ever.
Run
  • 52m 11s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

After fumbling with my shirt/hat/glasses, I started the run up the steep hill. I did not get into my running mode until almost 1 mile into the race. Then I was finally able to pick up my pace and make up some time. There were some really steep hills in the run. I felt that the run course was tougher than the bike course.
I caught up to a guy {Rusty} on the 2nd loop and we started running together. I told him about doing White Lake in a few weeks and he said that he could not do it because he was heading to Afghanistan. Thank you Rusty for doing what you do! I'll be racing White Lake for you and hope for your safe return!
Post race
Warm down:

I always forget to stretch after a race. Drank some soda and water and put some ince on my knees.

Last updated: 2012-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:54 | 1640 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/128
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca full suit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:28:12 | 27 miles | 18.37 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Two loops. First half of loop with some up hills and 2nd half some good down hills. Strong headwind and crosswind at times.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:11 | 06.21 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Two loop with some steep hills
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-04-15 9:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Kannapolis, NC
Subject: Belews Lake International Triathlon

2012-04-15 6:04 PM
in reply to: #4151517

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: RE: Belews Lake International Triathlon
Don't take this the wrong way but that is a really funny race report! All your mishaps just crack me up for some reason...I've run out of T2 with my helmet on before so don't feel too :-) Sounds like some tough conditions. Out there. I agree that the run course is no gimme -that first hill isn't steep for long but it drags on after that initial sharp bit for a loooong time. I did the sprint last year so you end on the downhill, but I guess you guys had to go back up again! Ouch! Anyway, nice job out there. Good luck at white lake.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Belews Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed