General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hey Trish (and other Stoney Vets), I Need a 10ish Mi Trail Route Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-15 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Subject: Hey Trish (and other Stoney Vets), I Need a 10ish Mi Trail Route
After getting fat on the beach for the last week, its time for me to see where I am at for the Trail 1/2 in a few weeks.  I am thinking of heading out to Stoney next Saturday to do something in the range of 10 miles and was looking at the map out there and have no idea what to do.  I've seen FB posts from the Fraser crew on trail runs out there.  Any advice on where to park and run from and what route(s) to follow to get the run in?  Thanks in advance for any help!!

2012-04-18 7:27 AM
in reply to: #4151594

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Hey Trish (and other Stoney Vets), I Need a 10ish Mi Trail Route

AeroBaldness - 2012-04-15 11:40 AM After getting fat on the beach for the last week, its time for me to see where I am at for the Trail 1/2 in a few weeks.  I am thinking of heading out to Stoney next Saturday to do something in the range of 10 miles and was looking at the map out there and have no idea what to do.  I've seen FB posts from the Fraser crew on trail runs out there.  Any advice on where to park and run from and what route(s) to follow to get the run in?  Thanks in advance for any help!!

It's been a few years since I've been out there but isn't PLRA about 10 miles?

2012-04-18 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4157569

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
dangremond - 2012-04-18 7:27 AM

AeroBaldness - 2012-04-15 11:40 AM After getting fat on the beach for the last week, its time for me to see where I am at for the Trail 1/2 in a few weeks.  I am thinking of heading out to Stoney next Saturday to do something in the range of 10 miles and was looking at the map out there and have no idea what to do.  I've seen FB posts from the Fraser crew on trail runs out there.  Any advice on where to park and run from and what route(s) to follow to get the run in?  Thanks in advance for any help!!

It's been a few years since I've been out there but isn't PLRA about 10 miles?

Could you translate PLRA to the map:  http://www.metroparks.com/images/maps/stony_creek_mountain_bike_trails.pdf  is it a combo of the Green (easy) and one of the other routes?  Thanks for the help!

ETA, or is it the trail maps and not the MTB Trails:  http://www.metroparks.com/images/maps/stony_creek_inwood_trails.pdf

Edited by AeroBaldness 2012-04-18 10:33 AM
2012-04-18 4:59 PM
in reply to: #4158085

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I would think that PLRA means Pontiac Lake Rec Area but I know nothing. 

The maps that you put up for Stony are pretty accurate.   I'd just do a combo of green and blue and call it 10 or run a bit on the fitness trail if you need your garmin to actually read "10".  

Love Stony trails!!!   I run mostly the road and fitness trails but when it is hot out, I jump into the shady trails there. They sure are beautiful!   

I was out last week doing 20 on the fitness trail, road, and out of the park trails and there was some construction going on.  They had knocked quite a few trees down.  I am not sure if this affects the routes on the map at all.  

2012-04-18 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4159120

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
jogo - 2012-04-18 4:59 PM

I would think that PLRA means Pontiac Lake Rec Area but I know nothing. 

The maps that you put up for Stony are pretty accurate.   I'd just do a combo of green and blue and call it 10 or run a bit on the fitness trail if you need your garmin to actually read "10".  

Love Stony trails!!!   I run mostly the road and fitness trails but when it is hot out, I jump into the shady trails there. They sure are beautiful!   

I was out last week doing 20 on the fitness trail, road, and out of the park trails and there was some construction going on.  They had knocked quite a few trees down.  I am not sure if this affects the routes on the map at all.  

Thanks Jo!!  Just what I needed.

2012-04-18 8:15 PM
in reply to: #4159170

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I am doing 8-14 on Saturday at Stony, probably starting at 8am.  Shout out if you are out there at the same time!   I'd love to know how the trails are.   I want to run them again after my marathon on 4/29 (road). 

Good Luck at the Trail half!! 

2012-04-19 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4159379

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
jogo - 2012-04-18 8:15 PM

I am doing 8-14 on Saturday at Stony, probably starting at 8am.  Shout out if you are out there at the same time!   I'd love to know how the trails are.   I want to run them again after my marathon on 4/29 (road). 

Good Luck at the Trail half!! 

Will do.  With an hour drive out there, I'd guess it'll be between 8:30 & 9:00 when I get out there.  Looking at the map, I am thinking I'll park at the West Branch Parking area an do a loop around the outside first, keeping the trail on my right to see what it gets me and then dink around the interior trails.  Last big run before taper madness for you, huh?  Good luck to you as well on the marathon!!!

2012-04-21 3:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
That was awesome!!!  Ran for just over 2 hours.  I realized, quick, that following any single route would be a pain.  Instead, I chose my next turn by feel.  If I was fading I'd drop down to an easier route, feeling good, I'd jump up a level.  I think I covered all of the most difficult, most (if not all of the middle difficulty and parts of the easy.  It was not as muddy as expected and had WAY more climb than I expected.  I am going to have to add these trails to my bricks versus taking a trip around the lake, trails are much more fun.  Huge thanks again for the info Jo.
2012-04-21 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4164550

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Ted, glad you had fun!!  That is why its hard for me to pick a route there.  I just run and turn wherever and end up wherever and then work my way to find my car.   I have found all sorts of trails, fitness trails, roads, out of park areas, parking areas, etc....  I like to do my 20's out there because I can do 20 and never do a complete loop of the park.    

I ended up at Paint Creek Trail today with a group.  Good luck at Poto next weekend!!  Taper time!!!

2012-04-24 6:41 PM

User image

Rochester, MI
For what it is worth, there are some nice trails (about 9 miles) over at the Bald Mountain North Unit. I was just there on Sunday and enjoyed some very fast (not extremely technical) trails. There are two loops west of Harmon rd ( 3.5 & 2 ) and then there is a longer loop on he east side of Harmon. It isn't Stoney, but relatively close.
2012-04-24 10:11 PM

User image

Expert

Oops!  Just saw this Chicken Dip!   I LOVE Stony trails..but I never really lead..just follow along the group!   Sounds like you had a great time.

As dangremond noted, Pontiac Lake is just about 10 miles for the loop, but much more challenging.  Ran out there twice this winter...tough, but awesome!  My "up north" house is about a mile from the mtb trail there. 

I've not run the Bald Mountain trails but have heard good things from some Fraser peeps. 

I've been running all my long stuff with paces for Bayshore and I miss the dirt!  Hoping to get back on the trails come June after the marathon.  

Good luck at your half!

2012-04-25 7:37 PM
in reply to: #4170773

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods

stiemey - 2012-04-24 6:41 PM For what it is worth, there are some nice trails (about 9 miles) over at the Bald Mountain North Unit. I was just there on Sunday and enjoyed some very fast (not extremely technical) trails. There are two loops west of Harmon rd ( 3.5 & 2 ) and then there is a longer loop on he east side of Harmon. It isn't Stoney, but relatively close.

I know them well, there is an awesome spring trail race there:  http://www.stayintheshade.org/home.php  Stay in the Shade does two trail races each year.  One at Bald Mountain (we bald guys are obliged to do bald events) and one on the bike trail at Highland Rec.  These are two of my favorites each year.  All the money goes to charity and they are put on by very nice people.  We've gotten to know them by hanging around and drinking Bloody Marys after their races.  Things are done old school with no timing chips, just bibs and relatively close times (I claimed my results on Athlinks under the name Unknown).  The fall race at highland is shorter, but WAY more technical.  

2012-04-25 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4171111

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
TrishM - 2012-04-24 10:11 PM

Hoping to get back on the trails come June after the marathon.  

Lots of trail time to prep for the Battle of Waterloo!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hey Trish (and other Stoney Vets), I Need a 10ish Mi Trail Route Rss Feed