Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Moving to Vancouver - job at UBC Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-20 8:21 AM

User image

Hamilton, British Columbia
Subject: Moving to Vancouver - job at UBC

Hey there!

I'm currently located in Ontario, but thought I'd switch to this forum to get a feel for BC.  I just took a post doctoral position at UBC and will be starting in September.  Was wondering what training is like in the area, I was thinking I will join the UBC triathlon club.... anyone else a member or anyone else in a good club in the area? I'm assuming as long as I can get used to the rain I can train outside year round!  On that note any recommendations on where to start looking to live? Hoping to be close to UBC so was thinking of looking in kits or greys point!  Any other advice for the area or good races in September!

Cheers

Lise

2012-04-20 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4162350

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Moving to Vancouver - job at UBC

No direct experience in the UBC area, but whenever i go that way, there's many triathletes always training near the beaches and on southwest marine drive. 

Year round training is pretty much doable-- way more so than ontario, that's for sure!

In regards to where you want to live, money is a major, major factor.  Some people enjoy dropping $600,000 for a small condo downtown, while me personally i prefer to live further away and spending that on a big house and commuting, but that's just me.  Kits is fantastic area.

Good race in september? absolutely.   My favorite triathlon, in Stanley Park, the vancouver triathlon.  it's stunning as they close the park while we bike, quite enjoyable.  (a bit cold sometimes in september in the ocean, but full wetsuit obviously)

http://www.multisportscanada.com/index.php/race-schedule/details/49-vancouver-triathlon

2012-04-21 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4162350

User image

Regular
North Vancouver, British Columbia
Subject: RE: Moving to Vancouver - job at UBC

I live over on the North Shore.. but spent my winter Saturday's at Speed Theory... they are a cycling & tri shop on West 4th.. near Trafalgar in Kits... awesome place to get bike work, gear and advice...

A lot of the people I trained with are members of Leading Edge Triathlon Club.. which is located in the Kits/Point Grey area... If you'd like to PM me your email.. I can get you in contact with a one or 2 of their members..

cheers..

jocelynn

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Moving to Vancouver - job at UBC Rss Feed