General Discussion Race Reports! » Langley Pond International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Langley Pond International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Burnettown, South Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 56m 4s
Overall Rank = 74/107
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 15/20
Pre-race routine:

I had to work late on Friday night and then get up at 3:50 for the 2 hour drive to the race site. So I started out a little tired but everything turned out fine. Rode up to the race with my training partner.
Event warmup:

Got out on the bike to spin for a few miles and then in the water for a couple hundred yards in the pond. This is one of the few wet-suit swims of the year for me.
Swim
  • 29m 12s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Probably my best swim so far. Master's swim class seems to be paying off. I never really got tired or had any problems. I had a nice smooth stroke the entire swim.
What would you do differently?:

I probably could have pushed it a little harder but I'm very happy with the way my swim went so I'm going to go with I would have done nothing any different. I'll push it a next time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 52s
Comments:

It was a long run (I think they said 400yds) from the swim exit to the transition area. It was a terrible transiton for me. Everything seemed to be in slow motion.

SPEED UP!
Bike
  • 1h 16m 49s
  • 24 miles
  • 18.75 mile/hr
Comments:

This was definately my most interesting bike so far. I thought my time would have been a little better because for the most part it felt good. There are no real hills where I live and train, so I haven't done any training on the hills. So the hills were a new experience for me. I still need to lose about 20 more lbs and that is usually not good for me but the extra weight sure helped me get a little extra speed on the downhills. LOL. The uphills were tough. Just before the first uphill, I tried to go to the little chainring and dropped the chain. It took me a few seconds to get it back on get back up to speed. Not much speed to be had on the uphill but the downhill was a lot of fun. I looked down one time my speed was 48. That is by far the fastest I've been on a bicycle and it was great. So now for the interesting part. As I was coming up the last uphill on the way to transition, another guy was pushing to get by me. No big deal, I completely understand. When I come into transition, I usually do a flying dismount. I was kind of thinking since he was pushing to get by me that he might do the same. I was wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the guy in front of me. I should have been paying more attention. He came to a complete stop a the dismount line and so when I jammed over the brakes, over the front I went. It was great because I was able to hold onto the bike the bike a get over onto my back without hurting the bike or myself. I wish someone would have gotten ti on video because it probably entertaing to watch. It was too good of a save of the bike to be upset. I kind of looked like a turtle on its back for a minute. I'll just mark that one up as a lesson learned. Glad I didn't mess up the other guy's bike or mine.

Not drop my chain and not spend anytime on my back with my bike on top of me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

My T2 is usually much better but I was still laughing about my turtle move at the dismount.

Not crash at the dismount line.
Run
  • 1h 05m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

My run continues to hurt me. But until I get off that last 20 lbs, it will continue that way. It started getting hot shortly after I started the run.

Lose weight
Post race
Warm down:

Got a coca-cola and went back to the pond to cool down. The water was cold and felt great. It didn't take long to cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

That extra 20 lbs is killing my run. I need to lose that last 20 lbs and not crash.

Event comments:

My traing partner usually runs faster than I do but today he stayed with me to make sure I got in under 3 hours. I still have a long way to go but it's getting better. Last year I did on OLY and it took me 20 minutes longer. So I'm happy right now but I still have a long way to go.

Last updated: 2011-12-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:12 | 1640 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 41/107
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Not a rectangle but close. 3 left turns and then 1 right turn back to the dock.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:52
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:49 | 24 miles | 18.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/20
Overall: 69/107
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Out from transition for about a mile and then 2 laps and then back to transition. First half of the loop was uphill and then downhill for the second half.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:05:08 | 06.21 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/20
Overall: 89/107
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back with a slight uphill between mile 4 and 5.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-28 3:43 PM

New user
Walterboro
Subject: Langley Pond International Triathlon

2012-04-30 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4178498

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Langley Pond International Triathlon

Great race Wesley, and great race report as well. 

Congrats!!

2012-04-30 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4178498

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Langley Pond International Triathlon
Awesome job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Langley Pond International Triathlon Rss Feed