Competitor Group Inc.
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m
Overall Rank = 47/1031
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/19
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30 for the race. Ate a piece of toast with some peanut butter and made a 20 ounce water bottle with 2 scoops of HEED. Drove to Annapolis from Baltimore and arrived around 5:45 AM. I set up my transition and got my wetsuit on since it was freezing out. I wasn't a fan of the bike blocks they had set up. Walked over to the dock and waited for the third wave to be called.
Swim
  • 08m 33s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

The first straight away was right towards the sun, making spotting a little difficult and the buoys were somewhat hard to see. I was able to spot on 2 radio towers straight ahead. I was able to distance myself from most of the group within the first 200 meters and noticed there wasn't anyone around me except maybe one or two people. About 300 meters in I caught up to the wave in front of us. Finished 2nd in my wave.
What would you do differently?:

Need to work on spotting a little bit more. I notice my technique falls apart in a race situation. Definitely need to do more swims in my wetsuit to get use to the feeling.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Coming out of the swim I felt good, but a little disoriented. I put body glide on my ankles and wrists and neck, and that definitely made the wetsuit come off pretty easily. This is something I am glad I practiced! I got my wetsuit off and then put my helmet on and my sunglasses on. I went to put on my watch, but then couldn't get it started, so that was a waste of time. I left my socks off, but still had some difficulty putting my biking shoes on. I ran out towards the bike out and mounted.

I wouldn't put my watch on and practice getting in my shoes with the shoes already on the bike like I saw other people doing.
Bike
  • 37m 45s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is by far the weakest of the three disciplines. I'm not great at gearing and find myself struggling up the hills. The first lap I went a bit hard, so I backed it down and tried to relax on the second lap. Forgot to drink during the bike!

Remember to hydrate and practice more on gearing and hills. Try to relax a little more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Came into transition and racked my bike. Had some trouble getting it into the blocks. I would've preferred a bar. I got my helmet off and shoes off and slipped on my racing flats. My zip laces got stuck and couldn't get my feet in my shoes as fast as I would have liked. It caused a good amount of chaffing during the run. My race belt broke as I put it on so I had to tie it. Awful transition.

I just needed to be more prepared in setting up my transition and getting my gear together before the race.
Run
  • 18m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 05m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is my favorite leg. After being passed by a good amount of people on the bike, I love repassing them on the run. I started off with my legs a little tight, but it loosened up after about a quarter mile. I kept a consistent pace around 6 minutes per mile. I felt good and focused. I wasn't sure what my pace was because I didn't have my watch, but I went off feel. Picked people off and finished strong.

Nothing! I had a great split for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Did some light stretching and walked around the dock.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My inability to perform well on the bike. Didn't set up my transition properly or check my gear to make sure everything was in good shape.

Event comments:

They did a great job organizing this race. I'm glad they made the change to close the one side of the highway completely to free up the bike course. It was still a bit crowded and the lanes did get a little too close together at some points.

Last updated: 2012-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:33 | 547 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 0/1031
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Xterra Vector Pro
Course: The course was 500 meter loop in the bay.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:37:45 | 12 miles | 19.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/19
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: The course went out to a 2 loop course then back to transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:18:26 | 03.1 miles | 05m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/19
Performance: Good
Course: The course was an out and back 3.1 mile course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes