General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Just Swim" or "Drill, Drill, Drill"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-05-22 7:50 PM
in reply to: #4222934

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
Subject: RE: "Just Swim" or "Drill, Drill, Drill"?

I like doing 30-45 mins drills, as it improves my overall speed and fitness levels. 

But sometimes I like to just swim for 30-60 minutes.  However, I don't just swim during these times......oh no! Being the scientist that I am, I'm always trying out old/new techniques (some which I read about on BT) to see if I can improve my technique/form.  Although I've been swimming for coming up for 5 decades, and I used to sprint swim competitively when I was young, this longer distance endurance swimming is something entirely different and something that I'm really embracing.  Therefore, I'm constantly trying out new things to see what my now much older body can/can't do, and I actually find it really fascinating to see the effect on my speed/technique.  Some things don't work for me and they get discarded, and some things really do work, but I'm sure it's different for every person. 

2012-05-22 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4223840

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
chrishayward - 2012-05-22 5:09 PM

http://joelfilliol.blogspot.ca/2012/01/most-popular-post-on-this-blog-is-is.html

1. Conditioning trumps drills. Technique matters, but the way most athletes try to improve technique doesn't work. Get fitter, and your ability to hold good technique improves. It takes a lot of work to develop aerobic conditioning in your upper body. If you think you are already swimming a lot but are not improving, swim more and keep at it. There are no shortcuts.

Ahh i love this debate....   i do what the previous poster says (warm up, do some drills, do a main set, cool down).    I do believe that hard work has improved me more than anything.

This quote drives me crazy. Because Joe writes it on his blog doesn't make it true, it simply makes it an opinion that people have turned to gospel. If he would define "the way most athletes try to improve technique", then he could apply his pithy proverb to a specific focus of people, but he simply generalizes both the athletes and the "way they try to improve technique". C'mon Joe, say something intelligent...

2012-05-22 10:51 PM

Lots of 50s and 100s. Lots of volume. If you can find a good coach who can show you how to properly do drills and work with you, then great. But at the end of the day, the coach is going to give you sets of 50s and 100s and going to tell you to swim your butt off. I believe we overstate the need for personal swim coaching. The best thing you can do to help your swim is to join a masters program as it will push you into doing the yardage.
2012-05-22 11:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Heber City, UT/San Carlos, Mexico

I don't fancy swimming much. So I need 'help' to get myself to, and thru, workouts... unless I'm swimming in the ocean.

So I rely on my SwiMP3 to help entertain my mind. Music is difficult to enjoy when you're running drills. So I just do laps, enjoy my music, and glance at the clock every now and then so I know when I can go home and enjoy a fun bike ride or trail run   Cool

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Just Swim" or "Drill, Drill, Drill"? Rss Feed  

of 2