General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM training during the week Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-23 8:14 AM

User image

Subject: IM training during the week

I'm training for my first IM (IMFL) and have been using a coach as I'm fairly new to triathlons. I switched from marathons/ultras to tris last summer and completed every distance, including a 70.3.  When I got my 6 month IM plan from my coach, I was a little concerned that I won't be doing enough during the week. I'm not concerned about my wknd workouts, those are about what I expected.

I will add, with a troublesome foot/achilles, my coach is trying to keep me as healthy as possible. My Tues through Fri workouts (Monday is rest day) equal 6.5 hrs of training (2 bikes, 2 swims, 2 runs).

I was just wondering on average what others do during the week.

2012-05-23 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4224618

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: IM training during the week

First, you should ask your coach about why they have you doing things a certain way.  They (should) have much better insight into your background, strengths, weaknesses and time availability.

Second, as you train for IM (or anything, really), do not worry much about what other people do.  Either on average or specifically.  Worry about doing what you can do--based on your background, health, other commitments, etc.  If you can handle more work, let your coach know.  Likewise, if it seems like too much, let them know that as well.

Finally, to sort of answer your question anyway, your Tues-Fri is not wildly out of line with what others might be doing for an IM.  Some do more.  Some do less.  If you can stay consistent and mostly injury-free, you will be in position to have a good day in FL.

2012-05-23 9:07 AM

User image

thanks for the reply. I'm not so much concerned w/ what others are doing to compare myself to them. I'm just freaked out that I'll go into this under prepared b/c I'm used to training myself. And with that being said, I'll be honest, I've over trained myself before. So I'm being very good and listening to my coach. It's just hard for me to give over control. :-)

I will always make time for more, more, more but I know that's not the best approach. I do work full time and then part time as a personal trainer so I'm fairly busy. I honestly think from what I heard I was expecting it to be SO much worse that having it be manageable made me worry.

2012-05-23 9:28 AM

User image

over a barrier
In my experience as coaching mainly IM athletes and having done several myself.

"Most" people can survive the week both mentally and physically with about 90'-100' a day in workouts during the work week. After that point, the workouts start really impacting family or social life and that is the start of unhappiness and/or burnout.

2012-05-23 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4224805

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
DCT76 - 2012-05-23 10:07 AM

thanks for the reply. I'm not so much concerned w/ what others are doing to compare myself to them. I'm just freaked out that I'll go into this under prepared b/c I'm used to training myself. And with that being said, I'll be honest, I've over trained myself before. So I'm being very good and listening to my coach. It's just hard for me to give over control. :-)

I will always make time for more, more, more but I know that's not the best approach. I do work full time and then part time as a personal trainer so I'm fairly busy. I honestly think from what I heard I was expecting it to be SO much worse that having it be manageable made me worry.

That is the key quote in all of this, you are used to training yourself and in my experience most athletes that come from an endurance background in other sports will try and do too much which will result in injury. Since you already have an pre exisiting injury/history I think your coach is probably being prudent by NOT overloading you (at least during the week). As long as you are getting good quality 1:30-2 hr workouts per day during the week you are going to be fine.

Ultimately you have to trust your coach on this one and if he/she has a proven track record with IM athletes then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Good luck!

2012-05-23 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4224805

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Well, if you want to do more AND can handle it AND check with your coach so he/she at least knows what's going on (enough caveats for ya'? ), then I'd offer maybe doing a SHORT, EASY run on Mondays--30min is plenty.  I think running frequency can be a big help in building durability. 

But, this may be less true for you, given your foot/achilles issue and your marathon/ultra background.  You may be better off (again with all the prior caveats) considering a short ride or short, technique-focused swim as an addition.  For now, however, I'd suggest starting with what your coach has laid out and see how things go.  Give it at least several weeks before you worry about adding more onto it.  You may find that the current plan is plenty.

2012-05-23 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4224860

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
running2far - 2012-05-23 10:28 AM

In my experience as coaching mainly IM athletes and having done several myself.

"Most" people can survive the week both mentally and physically with about 90'-100' a day in workouts during the work week. After that point, the workouts start really impacting family or social life and that is the start of unhappiness and/or burnout.

I really agree with that. I used 2 different plans for the two IM's I have done. both plans had 2 bikes, swims, and runs during work week and off friday. Bike Mon/wed usually recovery, hill climbs, speed intervals for usually 60-90 min today. and Then run and swim tues/thurs and both of those workouts were about the same too. Run 45 min tops, sometimes longer if I took longer breaks during intervals. And swim was about 45 min workouts. I was never injured and never missed a workout for a reason other than life getting in the way.
2012-05-23 11:56 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Just as a gauge, Fink's training plan for M-F consists of 2-3 swims, 2 bikes, and 3 runs (and that includes one run as a brick).

You probably are really early in your training, which will obviously affect how much time is spent training. But with about 10 weeks to go in Fink's Competitive plan, when total hours for the week are in the 14-16 range, about 7-8 hours are during the week. So, without going through the entire 30 week plan, count on about half your total weekly time volume to be Mon-Fri, and half on the weekend.

2012-05-24 4:56 AM

User image

New user

People train for Ironman are more often overtrained, than undertrained. 6.5hrs during the week is enough. You just need to have a few long bikes and runs during the weekend (no need on every weekend)  and you'll be fine.

See you in PCB Smile

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM training during the week Rss Feed