General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting used to aero bars? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-25 10:59 AM

New user

Phoenix, AZ
Subject: getting used to aero bars?
I just bought my first tri bike last week, and I'm having a hard time adjusting to using the aero bars when I ride.  I feel like my steering is really wobbly.  I've only ridden a couple times since getting it, so is it just something that takes getting used to?  Or are there any tips for making it easier?  I bought the bike off Craigslist and haven't taken it in for a fitting/adjustment yet, so maybe it will be easier once all the parts are officially in the right place?

2012-05-25 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4229059

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: getting used to aero bars?

claireruth - 2012-05-25 11:59 AM I just bought my first tri bike last week, and I'm having a hard time adjusting to using the aero bars when I ride.  I feel like my steering is really wobbly.  I've only ridden a couple times since getting it, so is it just something that takes getting used to?  Or are there any tips for making it easier?  I bought the bike off Craigslist and haven't taken it in for a fitting/adjustment yet, so maybe it will be easier once all the parts are officially in the right place?

This is your main answer.  An improper fit will have your weight distributed incorrectly.  This is most likely your main cause... a bit more time will also help, but make sure your fit is correct first. 

2012-05-25 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Even after my fit I dialed things in on my own. But even with a great fit, expect your shoulders and neck to be sore for a while.  Your arms may get sore as well. 
2012-05-25 6:29 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
There is definitely a learning curve going from a road set up to tri..when I first got my bike I was thinking I would NEVER adjust..but now I love it. Fit is key to both the comfort & the aero..so would make that a priority...even once fitted, you will most like do some tweaking on your own as last poster said..The "squirrelly" feeling in the steering I think is a combo of the bike being more responsive, lighter, and the redistribution of the weightt that comes with going aero..I love that now I can make subtle weight shifts  or just lean my knee  to steer the bike...when I first started going longer I had a lot of soreness in my upper back, neck & shoulders, and even arms as another poster said..but with time & minor adjustment all good.  Enjoy!
2012-05-25 7:15 PM

User image

Pro

a wobbly feeling is often due to your center of gravity being too far forward on the bike.

start with a proper fit, the go from there.

2012-06-02 12:01 PM

It does take a bit of getting used to.  You're going to have more weight on the front wheel, and the narrowness of the aero bars makes for twitchier steering.

Try spending some time with a choked up grip on the bars (see below).  The weight distribution is closer to a road position and your elbows will be wider.  As you get comfortable with this after a couple rides you can start spending more time in the fully extended aero position.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting used to aero bars? Rss Feed