General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Year long training plans? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-25 7:56 PM

New user

Subject: Year long training plans?

I have done one triathlon so far and it was the Kansas 70.3 last year.  I wasn't trained enough for it but finished the race.  This year we are doing this as a relay and I am doing the swim.  My goal is to do this full again next year but want to start training now for it.  Here is a little background:

I am a decent swimmer (strongest event for me) - love to bike but not supper fast and HATE running.  I am a very slow runner and a bit over weight and really want to drop some pounds and pick up my running pace somehow.  I am looking to the Kansas 70.3 next year but want to be ready for it this time.

I am looking to see if anyone has any suggestions/training programs from now until mid-Janurary when the HIM training starts that will get me ready to start this training.  Long term goal is to do the full IM sometime in 2014. 

Thanks,

2012-05-26 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4229962

User image

Coastal Carolina
Subject: RE: Year long training plans?

Not sure about a year long training plan but this article gives you an idea on how to link together training plans so taht you can work on weaknesses and still get ready for the race:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2371

2012-05-28 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4229962

User image

Subject: RE: Year long training plans?

The answer grasshopper is to learn to love the run. I felt the same about running and as a result it was my weakest event. Last year I decided I had to fix my run if I wanted to improve my placement at events. I started following the BarryP plan off of slowtwitch.com.  Started last July and ran 170 miles in March. Did an 70.3 and improved my run from 2:09 to 1:52. Needless to say i was one happy  57 year old camper.

You can go to slowtwitch & try to find the posts or you can go to my blog (see signature) and I reproduce and link from there. I would start a run focus and then incorporate your HIM plan. Good Luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Year long training plans? Rss Feed