General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
R&B Sports
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 48m 39s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Mixed Relay
Age Group Rank = 11/18
Pre-race routine:

Got up early to be able to get down there before transition closed. Picked up Kati and Kane at 4:50 a.m. and hit the road, got there just after 6 a.m. and got to our transition spot where I was to meet Tammy and Tuck who showed up about 10 mnutes later. Ended up sitting around and using the portapotty a lot before my wave left at 8:50 a.m. Ate a PB+J sammich around 7 a.m., later wished I had only eaten half. Water and Gu 15 minutes before my start.
Event warmup:

None, my wave went off so late there was no point.
Swim
  • 28m 11s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was happy the water was warm enough to make it NOT wetsuit legal, always an advantage for me, but competing in a relay, there were GOOD swimmers out there and was comopeting against men and women. I'm sure I was the oldest, so not too shabby. Goal was to come in under 30 minutes, so I was happy with my result. They ran a submerged cable with small buoys along the two long sides of the swim which made it very easy to navigate. Went out fairly hard, then got into my cruising pace and picked it up at the third turn. Passed several different color caps, but ended up towards the back of the wave in front of me (M 35-39). Worst thing was swimming through yukky water weeds that would catch in your hands and wrap over your shoulders, nasty! Good swim, got out and ran to transition to get Tuck off on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this was a good solid effort.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 1h 19m 30s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.75 mile/hr
Comments:

This was Lastazar's leg. We had scoped out the bike course the day before, so he was familiar with it. He picked up a few places over people that went out before him. He LOVED the course, thought it was fast. He did GREAT!! He had a LONG run from our rack (which was the first one coming in from the swim) to the bike mount line and then back in, but he hauled ass coming back in to the rack. I took off his timing chip, put it on Tammy and off she went!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 57m 44s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

This was Tammy's leg and man, I felt bad for her, it was HOT by the time she got going around 10:40, and it didn't seem like there was any shade on the route. For the heat, and dealing with foot pain, she did awesome, under an hour, a great effort.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up after the finish, then went and checked results to see if we needed to stay around for awards, unfortunatel we didn't.

Event comments:

Super big race... it got VERY crowded in the athlete's area as all the finishers came in, almost to the point of being claustrophobic. I really do prefer the smaller venues. Very well organized, nice finisher's medal too. I enjoy doing the relays, so nice to only have to worry about one leg... not sure I have it in me to do more than a Sprint and not die! But I sure can swim a longer distance race... my teammates were awesome as was our cheering section of Kati and Kane.

Last updated: 2012-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:11 | 1640 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/18
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Racing Speedo swim suit
Course: One loop, large rectangle, starting in the middle of one of the long sides.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:19:30 | 24.85 miles | 18.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/18
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 4 Loops that had lots of 90 degree turns and turnarounds, long inclines and some short steep hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:44 | 06.21 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/18
Performance:
Course: 2 Loops through downtown.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-28 7:36 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Course

sdf

Pre Race, happy and fresh!

sdf

Done with the swim, running to transition....

sd

Finish line chute, walkway over the top.

sdf

Post race team, hot and tired!

sdf

Finisher's Medal.

Edited by hildekq 2012-05-28 7:42 PM

2012-05-28 9:42 PM
in reply to: #4232361

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Course
Sounds like you all had a great race!  That was a killer time on the swim!!
2012-05-28 10:30 PM

User image

DFW, Tejas
Nice swim time.  They almost skipped the relays at the awards.  I loved this race because there was a big crowd cheering.
2012-05-29 4:30 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Wow to go! Sounds like everyone had a great time.
2012-05-29 4:51 PM

User image

New user
KY
Glad to find out I'm not the only one who uses the port-o-potty "a lot!"  lol  Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun and you all did great!  Would love to do a relay sometime- it must be some rush being able to cheer each other on!  Congrats to all of you Cool
2012-05-29 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Awesome effort, guys!!  Holy hotness!!  That was one hot run!  I seriously think you all look best in your post-race photo - so athletic and sassy with the shades/visors on!

2012-05-31 9:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Nice job guys!!!!  Way to give a hell of an effort!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed