60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 56m 13s
Overall Rank = 454/1063
Age Group = Men 50 and over
Age Group Rank = 34/64
Pre-race routine:

Epic long version of my first triathlon:

Day Before Race-So I go to print my confirmation from active.com the day before the race and head out to packet pickup, but I only see confirmation of my IMLP registration, none for Quassy1/2IM. I start to get a panic feeling (foreshadowing) and realize that I may not be registered. Check the Rev3 site and active.com using my login-nope, no registration. I knew I did it in January/Febuary, or at least I THOUGHT I did...

So, I think about this, and it occurs to me that I never got the Athlete's guide emailed to me. (But neither did Rudy, another BT'er, so I didn't think much about getting it myself.) But now it's starting to make sense.

Oh, no!!...it's highly likely that I am not registered and not racing. Still in shock, I tell my wife and begin to feel sick to my stomach. I am lucky to be married to a very supportive woman and she tried to make me feel better, for that I love her.

I decide it's worth it anyway to bring my bike and go to packet pick-up anyway and plead my case. I had made it through most of the 7 stages of grief by now (although truthfully I'm closer to depression/reflection than acceptance/hope). There is always hope. Never give up hope...

Happily met an extremely helpful, incharge woman named Jill who believed that she could make it work, somehow. Some waiting was involved, but amazingly she was able to get me a number (my bib was a Quassy Olympic) and a chip!!! How lucky am I? I promised a glowing letter for all her help and was on my way.

Brought bike to transition, covered it and tried to get a warmup swim with my full wetsuit but was not able to. Did do a brief warmup with my 'shorty' suit but I wigged out in the water, felt my feet dropping so went to get the full wetsuit but the beach closed. Headed home. Triple check lists, bags, clothing, mental run-through...again...Try to sleep.
Event warmup:

Race Morning:
Up at 4am, little sleep as nerves beginning to get to me. Starting to get nervous about the swim. No OWS is not a good idea for preparation. (the last time I actually put on the full wetsuit was in September 2011-before the Poconos, where the swim was cancelled.)

Didn't feel tired as I slept well the night before. Went through the morning checklist-shower, nutrition-cereal, BoostHN, bagel, hydration-water, G2 and plan for coffee on the way. 1 hour drive to Quassy was uneventful and quick. Did stop at the DD a couple of miles out from the park and still got there at 5:20am and in line with the cars to park at the Amusement park.Almost rock star parking.

Feeling pretty good physically and the weather is great, especially compared to the downpour yesterday. Sun is shining. Set up transition on my towel. Wiped down my bar tape which got wet and was slimy. Got my missing swim cap. Saw some areas with an inverted pail to sit on (and later read about tupperware to protect from rain -I took note for a future race). Got HR monitor on, dressed and put on full wetsuit and walked to water.

Quick warmup swim after putting on the wetsuit-only ~50M, felt ok, didn't think there would be any problem, but I felt very constricted with my HR monitor on and the full wetsuit on...hmmmm...
Swim
  • 50m 52s
  • 2112 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well, that s*cked. I have a long way to go prior to IMLP.
Can't imagine how much worse it could have been with bad weather or cold water. Av HR=144/peak 166
What would you do differently?:

Not have a panic attack.
PRACTICE OWS and swimming in the wetsuit!!!!
Practice sighting.
(I may need a bigger wetsuit as that one seems to constrict my breathing)
Transition 1
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

Walked up from the beach. I did remember to pull my cap/goggles/earplugs into my sleeve, but did not remember sunscreen. Arms are tired, still breathing pretty hard. Decide to go with planned HR goal anyway but I'm feeling a bit drained. Grabbed sports beans, gel. Run out with bike and smile and wave to my dear wife who is providing lots of encouragement. (love that girl)

Loved rereading my 'motivation' cards from my wife and kids! Big uplift!!

Run to bike and use sunscreen.
Bike
  • 3h 05m 2s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Having prerode the course, I just did the same as I did before. Hold HR at 135-140 when on flats, spin the hills and coast after building momentum on the downs. Plan worked well and I executed as well as expected. Told my wife to expect 3:03 and I made 3:05. Took one feed bottle over the 3hrs w ~700cals, drank 4 gatorades, 5 waters. Gel q 40 minutes. Bananna once but no other solid food. Stopped eating and drinking at mile 50 to let my stomach settle. All practiced prior to race day and worked out fine.

Caught by Bobby (DreamChaser) on the long hill at mile 24. Great talking to him a bit on the climb. He is a very positive influence and his cheering me on helped.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Felt like a solid/quick transition. In my mind I ran through what I was going to do during the last 5 miles of the bike. Ran bike through transition, racked it and sat down. Took off bike shoes/socks. Sat, re-read motivational cards again (such a sucker for encouragement) and put on my socks/running shoes. Again forgot sunscreen.
HR/time splits:first 20 miles 143HR/60:13//next 20 miles w big hill 140HR/70:56//last 16 miles 135HR/51:47--seems I did let up a bit at the end

Put on sunscreen.
Run
  • 1h 54m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Pace was a bit faaast again for the first couple of miles (7:30/8:00) as with the pre-run but I settled in and divided it up into 1/4 segments. Ran until for first hill at 3.5 and walked 6 times (for 5 breaths during the beast). Got to the out/back (about half way) and saw Bobby again as I was going out and he in. Saw that Dan was just behind me as I was turning. We chatted briefly but he wanted to go a bit slower. Not much, though, as we hooked up a mile or so later and ran the rest of the way in together. Bonked a bit when I got off my gel/hydration plan but took two gels at one aid station late and that helped. Walked every aid station and drank water alternating with gatorade. Poured water (which was chilled-nice) over my head when I could.
HR/mile splits:1)7:35-HR136--2)8:05-138--3)8:28-135--4)8:44-136--5)9:17-136--6)8:42-136--7/8)17:49-135--9)8:31-133--10)8:15-129--11)9:01-130--12/13.1)19:41-133

Finished race with my waiting, beaming wife at the chute! Sub6 ain't bad for a first triathlon, especially at the distance of Half IM.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Felt pretty tired and had crampy legs. Drank gatorade. Ate a little something. Food was OK, Drinks plentiful. Volunteers/Rev3 Staff-superb!
Did hit overall average goalHR pace of 140 on the nose-did not expect my peak of 166 to be in the water.

So, from almost DNS, to close to DNF and finally finish with a PR.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of appreciation for OWS and getting a feel for wetsuit/water.
Having a panic attack in the water didn't help AT ALL.

Event comments:

Classy race but challenging. Train on hills to do well on the bike and run. The pre-ride/run is a must.

Last updated: 2012-02-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:50:52 | 2112 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 60/64
Overall: 968/1063
Performance: Bad
Male Pros go first (5 minutes late) which wore on my nerves a little. Followed by the Female Pros. My anxiety is slowly creeping up and I'm taking slow, deep breaths and trying to stay in control in anticipation of my first OWS having been warned about the 'washing machine' and expecting some hitting. My wave is FIRST, old men and the athenas/clydesdales. I think, great, 'I get to be jostled by the biggest people on the course before getting swum over by the field.' At 7:05, the horn sounds and we start. I am in no rush-walking into the water and begin swimming. A few kicks and elbows, but tolerable. Then I'm swum over-it seems I drift a lot to the right. About 3 minutes into it, I'm kicked in the head and my goggle fills up with water. Since my vision is about 20/200 and I wear contacts, I panic. On my back, clear my goggle, but my breathing and HR will not stop going up. Try to swim again, but can only do 2-3 strokes and I'm hyperventilating. I tread water and try to get control as the field continues on without me. I'm not even 1/4 of the way to the first buoy. On my back, sculling, I see my HR is equal to my 5K RP. Can't stop the panic feeling. I try backstroke. I tread water. I do breast stroke towards the first buoy and get there. My HR is still redlined. I fear DNF and not making the swim cutoff. After about 3-4 minutes, I start to think that I can try again. The next wave is almost upon me and they begin to go right past. No one is very close to the buoy so I was never swum over. I try to do freestyle and make a few strokes in a row.Can only do a little bit and a kayak appears out of nowhere, seeing I'm having trouble. I confess I'm having a Panic Attack and need to hold on. He is reassuring and tells me to take as much time as I need. I ask what the swim cutoff time is but he doesn't know. After another minute or two, I try to swim again and am able to. Still feel constricted with the suit on, but I can swim. However, I can only swim to the right. Sighting sucks. Must change direction to the left after every stop. I estimate the number of buoys and wonder if I'll make the cutoff. I remember that it must be 1/2 of the IM swim cutoff which is 2:20, therefore 70 minutes. Counting the number of buoys that I passed and making the calculation, I am not going to make it. Then, I got mad at myself, around the 1/2 way point. (you could say that I decided to HTFU). I began swimming, slowly and steadily. My arms hurt. My breathing was still too fast. I stopped looking at my HR. One buoy after another. Finally, I am around other swimmers. The caps had changed colors several times by now. Around the final buoy and head to shore. Stop going to the right!! Swim until I can touch-the ground can be seen pretty far down into the water but I was told to swim until you scrape the sand-which helped. Out on the shore, I hear my wife yell to me that I made it. I yelled back 'I'm ALIVE!'. Polite laughing from the group around her. I confess all to her and still can't stop smiling because I know that I will finish the race. And as per Jon Blaise, it's on film.
Suit: Helix-worn for only second time
Course: Beach to Beach, Inverted Triangle-clockwise swim, Looking into the sun a little on the first leg and a lot on the second leg (tinted goggles a must), 3 big yellow buoys followed by big red (turn) buoy are easy to see and follow on each leg, must sight the Muscle Milk arch for a more direct swim back to beach (thanks DC!) on final third No, the swim is not uphill...
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 03:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:05:02 | 56 miles | 18.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 38/64
Overall: 562/1063
Performance: Good
I have 5 mile splits but they were all off a bit. I was on 20mph through the first 20 miles-dead on. Slowed on the hills but spun up without difficulty. Up out of the saddle when my a## got numb or if I got bored. Passed a bunch of people and was continuously passed by guys in their 20's and 30's with disc wheels and piston legs.
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: One loop with a short out/back around mile 35?, very hilly course overall(~3500feet elevation) with longest uphill section being from mile 23-31, but it does have 2 sections of flat/down within the that hilly part giving a brief reprieve before you get back in the small chain ring/granny gear. Some nice long, slow sloping downs on the back half before finishing with short uphills near the end. You can push big gears here and fly. Lots of shifting on all the rollers. Pre-riding the course with the BT crew (Bobby/DreamChaser, Jim/MajorBC, Dan and others) helped a LOT-Highly recommended. Breakdown: Miles 0-2 down, then fairly flat with few tiny rollers, miles 7-14 short rolling hills, long climb 23-31 broken up with 2 short/flat areas, mile 31.5 S-Plunge (Be CAREFUL*) with sharp left turn, then you can get back up over 40 mph-ending at an intersection where you go left-cautiously. Long slow downs for a while then flat, followed by some short uphills at miles 47 and 55. Very picturesque and well marked with loads of volunteers and aid stations well manned. Aid stations at mile 16/29/37/39 but there were more than that on the course, it seemed. Roads were overall ok, a few bumps, but not bad. Many very long smooth areas. Traffic was blocked for us at every intersection and I tried to thank every person/police officer I could (when I wasn't having trouble breathing or too tired to talk). Started getting hot and temps were pushing low 70's very early on.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:54:44 | 13.1 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/64
Overall: 454/1063
Performance: Below average
Running the loop around the lake during the preride/run brick was invaluable. Knew the 2 big hills and was forewarned again about the last one as I was running with Dan. His cadence and mine were almost step for step the last 6 miles or so. Very helpful to have someone to run with (thanks Dan!).
Course: Single loop with 2 short out/backs around the lake. Begun and finished at the Quassy Amusement park. Rolling hills throughout the course with 3 notable hills at miles 3.5-4.5=K-Swiss Mile (300 feet over one mile-escalator up with 4 floors on a dirt road that at least was shaded), mile 7.5-8.0 (150 feet up over 1/2mile)-second hardest, mile 12.5-13.0 (150 feet up over 1/2mile with the final turn/hill at a bridge that lets you know the end is just around the corner-but a NASTY place for a hill, especially if you are not aware it is there. Pretty hot by the end as temps were now in the high 70's with bright sun.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-04 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

2012-06-04 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4243544

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev
glad to see I'm not the only one that flipped out during their swim! I enjoyed reading this! Nice job on your finish!
2012-06-04 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA

Solid race, well done.  Nice to know now that you need some more OWS practice, still plenty of time between now and LP to get comfortable in open water.

You're lucky to have such encouragement from the family, cherish every moment of it.  I know I couldn't/wouldn't do this sport w/o my family.

2012-06-04 1:58 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Great job out there!!!  Sub 6 in your first half at that course is AWESOME!!!

Come up and swim in the Sound with me anytime, lemme know!!!

2012-06-04 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Broad Brook
Awesome time for your first race!! Keep your chin up everyone struggles through their first couple of OWS Great job
2012-06-04 3:43 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Fantastic job! Great race and great learning for IMLP.

2012-06-04 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Great race Dale! I can't believe you picked this as your first triathlon!!!
2012-06-04 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY

Nice race,  You should be proud that you didn't quit and you ended up with a sub 6 HIM.  I had the same problem with my OWS,  I thought it was the wetsuit but what I discovered is that I liked to wear the UnderArmor compression stuff and I found out that I was wearing so much compression stuff that I was making harder on myself.  So I made the adjustmet before the HIM and it was my best swim to date.  You will figure out your OWS, and then you will really rock the course.  Congrats

2012-06-04 6:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

Awesome job!  Sub 6 ~ JEALOUS!!

Great prep for Lake Placid!

2012-06-04 7:20 PM

Master
Northern IL
Nice job!
2012-06-04 7:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Way to go Dale. That is one tough course. I know some 4:30 guys that went 5:05. Keep that in mind going forward. You are ready for IMLP!

2012-06-04 8:51 PM

User image

Regular

You Came, You Saw -- You Nearly Flipped and then YOU OVERCAME!.

Great stuff, Dale.  Great first race...you can tell because you got to the finish line with enough juice to appreciate the fans and not so much that you weren't tired.  You were smart and metered out your energy throughout. 

The swim will get easier, the bike will get stronger and the run will be even more rewarding.  

Congratulations.

2012-06-05 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT

Great race Dale!  I wasnt aware this was your first tri.  You picked one heck of a race for your first tri.  In theory, they should all be easier from now on.  Smile

You are being too hard on yourself, especially with the run.  A 1:54 on that course is really great.  You can easily add 15 minutes to that course becuase of the relentless hills.  Even the down hills are difficult because many of them are too steep to really utilize a proper stride - thus, wasting your kinetic energy you have built up and slowing you down.  The swim was also my first OWS of the year but I have done so many in the past it didnt matter.  Your second time will be much more comfortable as you get accustom to the wetsuit.  They are tight but you should be able to breath good.  If you spend 10 minutes putting it on and really work it up your body can you zip it yourself of do you need help?  If you cant, it may be too tight.  But you do need to really work them up from the legs for a proper fit.  Your bike and run were awesome and overall a sub 6 hour race in Quassy is really great!  I had 3 or 4 people on the course tell me that if you can do Quassy you can do LP.  Great job Dale.  Hope to see you in LP next month or before.  We can get a hillfest in if you come up to Canton some Sat or Sun. 

2012-06-05 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

I thank you all for having the patience to wade through that pile of words!

It was quite an experience and I learned a lot. My training always has a new focus after I learn things...and I will be making many changes.

2012-06-05 9:42 PM
in reply to: #4245659

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Great job and race report!  Can't believe you picked a HIM to do as your first tri, pretty awesome!!  You should have alot of confidence going into LP with a sub 6 hr HIM under your belt. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev Rss Feed