General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My Olympic distance training plan... feedback please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-08 3:46 PM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
Subject: My Olympic distance training plan... feedback please

I am looking for some feedback on my overall training plan for moving from my recent sprint distance race to an Olympic distance on Sept 22nd (OBX tri).  My running was the weakest point in my sprint, followed by my swimming.  I have attempted to build a plan that gives me more miles in my running shoes and more time in the pool as a way to prepare for the longer distance.  

I am looking to improve my running pace from 10:15 down to 9:45 - and increase my swim ability to be able to swim 1500 meters in open water.  I currently bike at 18.5-19mph on rolling terrain (the race will be flat)

With 15 weeks until the event, here is a basic overview of my plan.

Swim total: 70,000 meters (in a pool) (average 4600 meters per week - 2-3 sessions per week)  I will get about 4-5 open water sessions in between now and the race in addition to the planned pool sessions.

Bike total: 800 miles (53 miles per week - 2 rides per week, short, long)

Run total: 200 miles (13.3 miles per week - 3 runs per week, short, med, long.  Starting at 10 mpw and working up to ~18.5 mpw)

The race is the OBX Triathlon in Manteo, NC.  It is located on the outer banks, so the course is very flat.  The temperature though will likely be rather hot - and not much shade to be found.  

What do you think?  Will this plan (high level overview) give me enough miles to be prepared for the Olympic distance?  FYI, I finished my sprint last weekend with the following times: 300 meters: 6:30, 12 miles: 38:53, and 5k: 31:50.

Thanks for your thoughts!

- Adam

PS - I have a beautiful excel spreadsheet with the daily details in it if anyone wants to look at it.

2012-06-08 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4252376

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: My Olympic distance training plan... feedback please

If your goal is to finish the 1500 meter ows, that is probably enough training.  However, it is probably not enough if you want to improve your speed.

For the run and bike, you don't list your current base or distance.  If you are running a 10k in at a 10:15 pace you can probably lower that to 9:45.  If your 10:15 pace is for a 5k, it will probably be hard to increase your distance and decrease your pace with that training load.  You look fine for the bike, so long as your are averaging that pace for the 20+ mile rides.

I would probably try to bump up your training time in all three disciplines if you are attempting to do the Oly distance for the first time and have goals of increasing your pace.

Good luck.

2012-06-08 4:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO
very interested in the answers I am in almost the exact boat you are have less time before the olympic though
2012-06-08 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4252410

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC

Thanks.  I meant to put my base in my post...

current Stand alone 5k run comes in at a 9:50 pace.  I ran a half marathon 2 years ago and finished that in 2:14... but stopped running after that until 5 months ago.

current Stand alone 30 mile rides come in at 17.5-19 mph depending on hills and heat.  Shorter distances I can just touch 20mph average as a stand alone ride.

current Stand alone 100yard swim pace is 1:44.  During the sprint race I jammed my fingers on the lane divider which hurt like (*#$& and caused me to lose my rhythm and focus.  Completely screwed up the swim because of it.

- Adam
2012-06-08 4:17 PM

User image

Your training plan looks very reasonable.  If you have additional training time, I would focus it on the bike since it's the longest event.  Being able to ride 25 miles without coming off completely gassed will really help your run.

2012-06-08 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH

You might want to look at some of the plans on this site.  I started my first year by following the free Olympic - 2x Balanced - 16 Week plan.   There are also 3x a week plans and you can focus on one sport if you have a real weakness.  There are also some good paid plans that provide more details about specific workouts.

If your goal is just to finish, these plans should get you there.  Your plan may work also, but these plans are geared towards someone starting out and they take a lot of the guesswork out.  The plans on these sites help you gradually build volume in a consistent and safe manor. 

The key for the first year is getting use to consistent training and learning what your body can take.  Plus, its important to have fun.  I find it a little easier (which can mean more fun) when everything is spelled out for me and I dont have to figure it out on my own.  This way I can just focus on the workouts and not the planning.

I would also recommend logging your workouts on this site so people can help you if you have more questions about your training.  Knowing what your background is and what type of training you are doing, helps a lot.

Good Luck!

2012-06-08 4:46 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

One thing that is important to me is to train in a cycle.

3 weeks hard, 1 week easy

If your training partner is female that cycle while be determined by nature.

Besides the training itself, you want to look at your nutrition and makign sure you are used to get up early and function.

It seems your training plan is about the load that I have been duing last 3 weeks.

While I am only off the couch for a year, my 5k record is under 9min/mile, though for a sprint I am shooting at sub 10min/mile, because I know the exhaustion and Texas heat is brutal.

2012-06-08 5:21 PM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC

Thanks everyone.  I did base this training plan off of one of the free plans on this site - "16 weeks run focused".  I adjusted it to have 30-40% more swim time however.   ---  This plan does follow the 3 weeks hard 1 week easy method.  

One other thing I should probably mention - I currently am a Clyde - 6'4" 212lbs.  I have been dropping weight with the training (20+lbs so far)... so that is helping the run quite a bit.  I expect to be right at 200 for the Olympic in Sept.

Believe me... if I didn't have a calendar with full spelled out workouts to hold me accountable, I know I would find an excuse to short the workout - or skip it.  Heck, I have decades of history to prove that!  But, with my "I am no longer lazy" plan that I put together for my Sprint last weekend, I only missed 4 workouts in 4 months!  Three of the workouts I was traveling and one I was sick.  So, as you can see... having the calendar definitely works for me.

Thanks again!

- Adam

2012-06-08 7:39 PM

Veteran
To really improve you need to:Ride 3x per wkRun 5x per wk The 2 extra runs can simply be 2 mile runs after the 2 shorter bikes. I know that doesn't sound like much but it will make a tremendous difference. Over 15 weeks that will add 60 miles. That is a 30% increase over what you have planned. You can easily recover from the added short runs and not risk injury.Good luck!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My Olympic distance training plan... feedback please Rss Feed