General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "First" tri (since heart surgery) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-10 8:44 AM

User image

Subject: "First" tri (since heart surgery)
Its been a few years since I had done any tris.  Lost time due to heart / rhythm problems, culminating in heart surgery last year for a mitral valve repair and maze procedure.  I have been swim/bike/run-ing to get back in shape, and at the encouragement of a good friend, did the Old Point Tidewater Tri in Hampton, VA yesterday.  It was 1000M/19mi/5mi, so a little more than a typical sprint; good to work up to an OLY in a month or two.  Weather perfect, and I had a great time.  After mitral valve surgery, I am slower than before I got to the point where I needed surgery, so I needed an event like this to establish a new baseline.  I am 55, and was 144/202 men - 8/14 in my 55-59 AG.  I was 8/12/7 in AG for s/b/r - so I know I need a lot more time and work on the bike!  I hadn't had wetsuit on in a while, and it took me about 5 minutes to settle down into rhythm for the swim.  Transitions were slow, but that was OK - I was there to have a good time and enjoy the gift of a fixed heart.  Couple lessons learned:  Check gear before stores are closed (I loaded my bike into car at 8PM, and realized I was missing a bar end plug.  Made do with a duct tape one).  Swim a few yards in the water before coming out for start (I did, fortunately, and realized my zipper leash wasn't velcro'd when it wrapped around my arm!). Most of all, smile and enjoy!

2012-06-10 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4253776

Expert
Subject: RE: "First" tri (since heart surgery)
Great job! Who cares about placement, you have made an awesome come back.
2012-06-10 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
"Smile and enjoy" indeed, perfect advice for everyone. Congratulations and welcome back!
2012-06-10 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
That is amazing!  Congratulations on your first tri back! 
2012-06-10 9:33 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats!

You should feel awesome about your come back to sport and being out there smiling.

Don't let your competitive side take away the pleasure and joy of what you did today.

Good time and enjoying the gift of a fixed heart....what's better than that?

2012-06-10 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Hammond
jbrookscga78 - 2012-06-10 8:44 AM

Its been a few years since I had done any tris.  Lost time due to heart / rhythm problems, culminating in heart surgery last year for a mitral valve repair and maze procedure.  I have been swim/bike/run-ing to get back in shape, and at the encouragement of a good friend, did the Old Point Tidewater Tri in Hampton, VA yesterday.  It was 1000M/19mi/5mi, so a little more than a typical sprint; good to work up to an OLY in a month or two.  Weather perfect, and I had a great time.  After mitral valve surgery, I am slower than before I got to the point where I needed surgery, so I needed an event like this to establish a new baseline.  I am 55, and was 144/202 men - 8/14 in my 55-59 AG.  I was 8/12/7 in AG for s/b/r - so I know I need a lot more time and work on the bike!  I hadn't had wetsuit on in a while, and it took me about 5 minutes to settle down into rhythm for the swim.  Transitions were slow, but that was OK - I was there to have a good time and enjoy the gift of a fixed heart.  Couple lessons learned:  Check gear before stores are closed (I loaded my bike into car at 8PM, and realized I was missing a bar end plug.  Made do with a duct tape one).  Swim a few yards in the water before coming out for start (I did, fortunately, and realized my zipper leash wasn't velcro'd when it wrapped around my arm!). Most of all, smile and enjoy!

Congrats on an awesome comeback! Your post has made my day and gives me much hope. I am a cardiac patient and will need aortic and mitral valve replacement sometime in the future. I always wonder if I'll still be able to s/b/r once things get worse and I have to have surgery. Your post gives me reason to believe I'll be able to do it. Thanks for sharing and good luck on your next tri!

Shelly

2012-06-10 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Congrats on a great comeback! Seems like it's left you in a positive mood for you upcoming oly!
2012-06-10 7:45 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana

Congrats!!!

Might take a look at cardiacathletes.org for some inspiring stories & advice.  Site is run by a sharp cardiac physiologist named Lars.

2012-06-10 8:34 PM
in reply to: #4253831

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

fitmomma2010 - 2012-06-10 10:39 AM
jbrookscga78 - 2012-06-10 8:44 AM Its been a few years since I had done any tris.  Lost time due to heart / rhythm problems, culminating in heart surgery last year for a mitral valve repair and maze procedure.  I have been swim/bike/run-ing to get back in shape, and at the encouragement of a good friend, did the Old Point Tidewater Tri in Hampton, VA yesterday.  It was 1000M/19mi/5mi, so a little more than a typical sprint; good to work up to an OLY in a month or two.  Weather perfect, and I had a great time.  After mitral valve surgery, I am slower than before I got to the point where I needed surgery, so I needed an event like this to establish a new baseline.  I am 55, and was 144/202 men - 8/14 in my 55-59 AG.  I was 8/12/7 in AG for s/b/r - so I know I need a lot more time and work on the bike!  I hadn't had wetsuit on in a while, and it took me about 5 minutes to settle down into rhythm for the swim.  Transitions were slow, but that was OK - I was there to have a good time and enjoy the gift of a fixed heart.  Couple lessons learned:  Check gear before stores are closed (I loaded my bike into car at 8PM, and realized I was missing a bar end plug.  Made do with a duct tape one).  Swim a few yards in the water before coming out for start (I did, fortunately, and realized my zipper leash wasn't velcro'd when it wrapped around my arm!). Most of all, smile and enjoy!
Congrats on an awesome comeback! Your post has made my day and gives me much hope. I am a cardiac patient and will need aortic and mitral valve replacement sometime in the future. I always wonder if I'll still be able to s/b/r once things get worse and I have to have surgery. Your post gives me reason to believe I'll be able to do it. Thanks for sharing and good luck on your next tri! Shelly

I had aortic valve replacement twelve years ago and did my first first triathlon three years post-op.  So, yes there is life (& triathlon) after heart surgery.

I just turned 59 and my limitations are due to age and overuse injuries, and are not cardiac related.

Good luck in the future.

Mark 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "First" tri (since heart surgery) Rss Feed