General Discussion Race Reports! » LA Tri Series #3 - Championship Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LA Tri Series #3 - Championship Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Dimas, California
United States
Tri Events
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 35m 25s
Overall Rank = 66/317
Age Group = M 50-54
Age Group Rank = 5/15
Pre-race routine:

First tri of the year. About a 40 minute drive for a 6:30 packet pickup, so we left the house about 5:20am. Parking, check-in, and setup all went well. Liz thought about doing the sprint that was going on today, but she got sick and decided against it. I had an unusually large number of friends doing this race, which was nice.
Event warmup:

Ran a little bit and did a pretty thorough stretch. I've been working through some ankle issues, but they felt good today. Generally the healthiest I've been for a tri in a while.
Swim
  • 26m 21s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim. Just off my PR for an Oly swim, but I think this course was a little long (based on my Garmin output) and the course I PR'ed on I'm sure was short. Thought I might have placed higher in my AG than I did, but there were several of us bunched just above 26 min. Swim ended up being my highest overall placement for the day, which is unusual for me (although swim has been getting closer and closer to my run over the last year).

Caught guys in the one wave that started two minutes ahead of mine by the first buoy...probably only 200-250m into the swim...a couple of them breaststroking. Man, that's a long way to go when you clearly aren't trained.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing other than maybe some drafting. The reality is that there wasn't anyone I could find to draft off of. One of the fast women passed me at the second turn buoy and I thought about trying to stay with her, but she was just too fast.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Hoped to get to around 2:15 with this (hard to get below that since I put on socks in T1). Unfortunately my swim cap was vacuum sealed to my head...first time that happened. Then I started to put on a sock before pulling off my wetsuit, so that created an extra 10 sec's or so. Left heel a little hung up in suit, but only for a moment.

Not forget to pull off wetsuit before grabbing socks. Second time I've done that in a tri.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 2s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 18.83 mile/hr
Comments:

A bit disappointing. I'd told a friend in transition before the race that I thought I was likely to finish anywhere from 2nd to 5th in my AG, depending on who turned up. Getting on the podium, I figured, would take an average speed of at least 19.3 mph, based on previous results for the race. Ultimately I couldn't muster more than 18.8 and, sure enough, I was in the top 5 in my AG, but missed the podium. However, it really would have taken 20+ mph to get a medal and I'm just not a good enough cyclist to get to that on a hilly course...yet.

Got passed in the third lap by two guys wearing the same style tri top who were just blatantly drafting. No marshals for this race. So disrespectful.

Even though time wasn't what I'd hoped, I did negative split the three laps by a small amount and felt good on the run, so I think the effort was appropriate for where my bike fitness is currently.

Do some specific training for this distance. I'm still stuck where I was when I committed to training Liz for her IM relay ride last summer and sacrificed my bike split on the Oly and HIM I was doing: This year with my IM training, I've only had time to build endurance, but haven't done much climbing or speedwork at all.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Pretty good. I don't think I've ever been below 1:00 for a T2, so I'll take this. Only issue was I spotted a tiny pebble in my left shoe as I was about to pull it on, so I shook it out.

Nothing.
Run
  • 46m 7s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Weird run. Felt good pretty much throughout. Passed a zillion people and only got passed once. Picked up pace through first two miles.

However, somewhere in mile 5, I must have run out of gas. Didn't feel like it, but looked at my Garmin when a guy passed me on a downhill and my pace had dropped by almost 30 sec/mile. WTF? Tried to suck it up, but really thought I should have done better than 46 minutes.

Two anecdotes from the run: Pleased that about the first people I caught and dropped were the two a-holes who were drafting on the bike (if they were on the podium, I'd have said something to the officials, even if just to feel I'd had a chance to speak my mind about it). Then I passed a young woman on a dicey trail section. She re-passed me on an even dicier downhill and said to me, "I don't mind if you run in front of me, but don't block me." Seriously? You "don't mind" if I pass you...never heard anything more arrogant on a course. And, of course, I passed and dropped her almost immediately. And got to see her further behind at both of the out-and-back turnarounds on the course...tempted to say "Hope I'm not in your way" both times, but refrained.

I dunno. I just had a PR by more than 30 sec at a 10K in mid-April. Felt good. Was passing people on hills all the way to the end. Just ran out of gas, I guess, and just didn't feel it happening. Weird.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Talked with Liz and my friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly just lack of specific bike training. Haven't trained for this distance at all, only for IM coming up on July 28.

Took 14 minutes off the last time I raced an Oly at this venue (October 2008), 2:35:25 today vs. 2:49:27 then (and improved in all three disciplines and both transitions), so that's something, anyway.

Event comments:

This is part of an annual series of races at Bonelli Park in the spring, one pair of races in each of April, May, and June. I've done other races put on by this promoter at this venue in the fall, but not any in this series before. There's definitely a local (and low budget) vibe to the events this RD puts on, but they attract quality athletes. Bonelli Park as a race venue is challenging (very hilly with some crappy roads), but is generally a good place to race.

Last updated: 2012-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:21 | 1640 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 55/317
Performance: Good
Distance per Garmin 310XT = 1.03 mi. (1812 yds)
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3 John
Course: Narrow rectangle in calm reservoir.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:19:02 | 24.8 miles | 18.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/15
Overall: 95/317
Garmin 310XT = 24.58 miles
Wind: Little
Course: Three laps around Bonelli Park...generally all rolling terrain (2000' of climbing) except stretch along local airport. Two big descents (per lap) where you can top 40 mph.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:46:07 | 06.21 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 66/317
Garmin 310XT = 6.20 miles.
Course: One lap of Bonelli Park with a couple out-and-back legs. Some trail, but mostly paved.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-06-10 8:09 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: LA Tri Series #3 - Championship Distance

2012-06-12 12:51 PM
in reply to: #4254429

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: LA Tri Series #3 - Championship Distance
I'm glad you passed the drafters on the run. The blocking comment from the woman on the run was crazy, glad you passed her too. Solid race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LA Tri Series #3 - Championship Distance Rss Feed