Semper Fit
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 43m 15s
Overall Rank = 246/262
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/15
Pre-race routine:

Oh how the animals love race day - they get breakfast that much earlier. Up a bit past 0430, staggered through my breakfast of cheese toast & coffee - running on a bit less sleep than I'd like, but the coffee finally kicks in. It's raining here in Springfield, check the radar for Quantico, looks like it's already blown through down there and it's 71 degrees to boot. At least if the rain does kick in, I won't be freezing. (Getting wet I can deal with. Wet and cold and I'm miserable.) Left a touch early as I have no idea how much beach traffic I'll be competing with on I-95. As it turned out, apparently no one went to the beach this weekend and I flew down the interstate.
Event warmup:

Nice walk from the car to the start (I think I managed to pick the lot farthest away from the start to park), stretching, tiny bit of jogging. Chat with one of the other runners who is a Marine and has done the loop course before. (This is the first time they've made a race of it.) He warns me about "the hill" before mile 5. Good to know. The number of cots they've setup at the med tent is a tad disturbing though - I promise myself I will NOT need one! Around 7 AM, a very, very light rain starts up and keeps up through most of the race - could not have asked for a more perfect day for running. No need for preventative run/walk today as long as I can keep my overall pace in check, and the water stations are at 2/4/6 & 8, so no need for guessing "how far until water and I can get my usual walk break?"

Run
  • 1h 43m 15s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 11m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Then gun goes off and out we go - it's hard for me to get into a steady pace right away as there is a hill when you exit Butler Stadium and that tends to throw me off, but once we're up on the flats, I'm good to go. The first mile is another sub-10. All I can do is laugh because I don't even have anyone I can blame for it this weekend! I do make a point of easing off the throttle a bit because there are still 8.3 miles to go. But man, I am feeling good and it's just great to have this tiny bit of rain coming down for us. Mile 2 is uneventful and comes in at 10:37 - much more reasonable! I walk the water station as I usually do and keep plugging along.

Somewhere past mile 3 we pass the McDonald's on base and there are a few comments about how a cheeseburger would be nice about now. The rain is still with us, my pace is more in it's "normal" place and I am one happy camper. I pass a gal who is walking and ask if she's OK. "Oh, yes, thanks! I just walk sometimes." I can relate to that! She starts running again and we stick together through the water station (she is a "walk the water station" person, too!) but not too long after that, she looks up and says, "Uh oh." Her kids are coming the other way. Her son is dropping her daughter back with her - "She can't keep up with me and thinks she's going to be sick." So, Mom & daughter walk and I wish them well and continue on my way. (Son is already hoofing it back the other direction and I eventually lose sight of him.)

We come along a hard right turn and I see it. The hill. Well, this better be the hill, cause if there is one that is worse, that would be BAD. Actually, it's 2 hills. So, I put my head down, lean in and up I go the first one, enjoy the very brief flat and up the second one and see...a third one. I give myself permission to walk on the flat for now, because it's that or curl up in the fetal position on the side of the road. Many others are taking the same track. Once the grade changes again, I am running again. I want to spend as little time as possible on this last hill! Finally we crest it and hallelujah, there is a downhill on the other side!!! Cruising down that hill felt SO GOOD. The wind also briefly picked up a bit around this point - insta-cooling! At the side of the road is a gentleman with 4 or 5 kids at the bottom of the hill that did the 1 mile fun run and they're cheering everyone on. "You beat the hill! It's all flat from here!" WOOT!

Walked the water station at 6, still just super happy with my pace even with the break I took on the hill. The rain is still with us - not even enough to get you actually "wet", just keeping everyone at just the right temps - everyone I talked with commented on how perfect it was today. We've also hit the point on the course where I know where I am and where everything is at this point - this is the road I drove in when I came on base this morning. There's a lot to be said for knowing the course.

Miles 7 & 8 are kind of a blur. I'm trucking along, watching the golfers, enjoying the weather, thrilled that I don't feel the need to walk until the water station. Talked with a gal that did the trail run here in April - she liked it enough she's doing the whole 2006 race series at Quantico - says she doesn't want to run in downtown ever again. I can see why - Quantico is a great place to run. They support the races well, it's beautiful with all the trees and the place just flat out has character.

Hit the final water station - just a smidge over a mile to go! The last mile is always the best mile. Now, the mind games begin... How hard do I push but still avoid a repeat of my last performance of getting sick on the infield at Butler Stadium? Lots of debating back and forth in my head and I suddenly bust out laughing because I am simply not that great a runner and you'd think I was strategizing to qualify for Boston or something. Oooooh, soccer players!! I enjoy that little distraction as long as I can. (OK, I'm horrible and sexist and probably am lucky I didn't get hit by a car or something for it.)

As I come up to the turn for the stadium, one of the volunteers is there and she is running people in. Turns out she had an ankle injury and hasn't been able to run for over a month and this is her first chance to get out and move and she is SO HAPPY. She sticks with me down to the track and I am kicking it out hard and it feels great - I pass the point of the "puke & sprint" incident of last November and notice that the grass is in fact growing there again. Around the curve of the track and to the chute - they're actually using the arch for the Marine Corps Marathon and I said to her "I will be seeing that on October 29th!" "AWESOME!" I am totally booking it at this point and go flying through the finish and feel terrific.
What would you do differently?:

Can't think of a thing - enjoyed myself the entire time.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my water & cookies and did some stretching as they started the awards. Apparently there was something wrong with the chips as I was announced the women's open winner. First, I looked around to be sure all the other female participants had not been abducted by aliens - nope - and my name isn't quite common enough that there would be two of us there, so I went over to the awards tent and let them know, unfortunately, that wasn't me. Still kinda cool to get announced as the winner. :) (Though I feel bad that the actual winner is at this point, unknown.)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, the weather was perfect, I felt great and couldn't have asked for a better result.

Event comments:

The race series at Quantico is terrific. Not super fancy, but well supported, they don't run out of water even for us back of the pack folks. And whoever designed the t-shirts this year should get an award - not ugly!

Last updated: 2006-01-22 12:00 AM
Running
01:43:15 | 9.32 miles | 11m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/15
Overall: 246/262
Performance: Good
1 -- 9 58/60; 2 -- 10 37/60; 3 -- 11 34/60; 4 -- 11 24/60; 5 -- 13 34/60; 6 -- 11 33/60; 7 -- 10 55/60; 8 -- 10 54/60; 9.32 -- 12 41/60
Course: Mostly flat, one solid 3 hill set.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-03 1:40 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: Quantico Semper Fit 15K Loop Run

2006-06-03 2:03 PM
in reply to: #442132

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-06-03 2:06 PM
in reply to: #442141

Elite
Subject: RE: Quantico Semper Fit 15K Loop Run

oneword - 2006-06-03 3:03 PM Terrific run, Cindy. You are the Queen of Slow Twitch. 10:30 miles are NOT that far off for you (and you ran faster than I did today! )

Sure, but I didn't have a 2 hour workout ahead of the run.   Thanks! 

2006-06-03 2:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
Allen, TX
nice run, you brazen hussy.
2006-06-03 2:58 PM
in reply to: #442165

Elite

turqy - 2006-06-03 3:47 PM nice run, you brazen hussy.

How could you know what I was wearing for the race??  And thanks.

2006-06-03 4:26 PM
in reply to: #442172

Elite
Reston VA
Great job on the race!

My friend and I rode through the end of the race on our bikes.

It looked fun!

2006-06-03 4:38 PM

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Cindy,

Great run today.  Congratulations on breaking 10 min on that first mile.  As always, I enjoy reading your race report.  Maybe you should offer to write race reports for others, it could be a profitable business.  I enjoyed hearing about Quantico, I grew up playing golf on that course, so it was interesting to hear about your run.  Now the important question: fireman, soccer players or Marines?

Ernie 

2006-06-03 8:34 PM

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
What a great effort. I'm sitting here trying to picture your route. Wondering if you ran through mainside, around to Thomason Park, up to the schools, and back down to Butler. Am I way off. Any way good job, I wish I had been there.  Oooorahhh.
2006-06-03 8:38 PM

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Awesome race and it sounds like you had perfect weather for racing!  Nice sub 10 first mile. 

That is cool that your name was announced as the women's winner!  Maybe one of these days it will actually be you. 

2006-06-03 8:48 PM
in reply to: #442297

Elite

gullahcracker - 2006-06-03 9:34 PM What a great effort. I'm sitting here trying to picture your route. Wondering if you ran through mainside, around to Thomason Park, up to the schools, and back down to Butler. Am I way off. Any way good job, I wish I had been there. Oooorahhh.

I'm looking at the map again cause I wasn't paying super close attention to the street names, but we came out of Butler Stadium, up and right on Barnett/Russell, around to a right into Lyman Park on Purvis Rd, which then went back up to Fuller Rd past the golf course and back around to the stadium. They said this course has been going since 1917, so I'm thinking you must have run it at some point or another if you were stationed there. I love running down there. You should come up for the half on 9/30!

2006-06-03 10:36 PM

Expert
McKinney, TX
Cindy, congrats on, um, winning? he he!  What I wouldn't give for weather like that down here!!!  I'd run The Hill every day just for that chance!  Great race, Girl!

2006-06-13 10:32 AM

Master
Colorado
Hey, I missed this. Nice race! You are going to kick some tail at MCM!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Quantico Semper Fit 15K Loop Run Rss Feed