Ford Ironman World Championships
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 01m 10s
Overall Rank = 653/861
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 63/76
Pre-race routine:

Wake up two hours before T1 opens (3am) start coffee maker, have a bowl of cereal, coffee, smoothie, put in contacts, put stuff in the car, make another pot of coffee on. Got to T1 just as it was opening, got a good parking spot, and set stuff up walked around and checked out the swim course and run to T1
Event warmup:

light stretching a short run on the beach, barefoot,,,,, I love doing that, got in the water about 15 minutes before the start and did a short 7 minute swim, made sure goggles and cap were adjusted properly so they didn't leak.
Swim
  • 44m 34s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I can't imagine ever seeing a more beautiful beach or swimming area than this. We swam here with ladavidson on Thursday. I was a little nervous about the mass swim start first time I had started a swim with a 1,000 other people, it went very well, the swim is the part of the race I am the happiest with. At the start I got moving with the pack and did a good job of drafting off my friends in the front (first time I have ever really swam well enough to be able to draft off of other, wow what a difference that makes) all of a sudden here came the first buoy, I was surprised it got there that quick, same thing with the second one, which was the one that turned us back north into the wind and a current that was going out to sea. I tried and actually stopped to look for the buoy's and was unable to sport them due to the sun and all the splashing going on, so back onto the feet of someone, after several minutes I looked up and noticed I was in a group of people headed for Tokyo Bay,,,,,, So I made the decision to break away from that group and head back to the group who was on course. I was swimming by myself for about 5 minutes and that was a little more difficlt than drafting. Just prior to the buoy that turned us into shore with about a 1/4 mile to go I sarted getting a few leg cramps, which I don't understand since I really don't kick with my legs at all, I get to the buoy, stop for a second to sport the next one close to shore and both legs lock up, but as soon as I start swimming they feel ok. I did the craw then entire way, well with the exception of when I did the side stroke for the sole purpose of thenaking the lifeguard for he support.
What would you do differently?:

Do a better job of sighting and nagivating. I think more OW swimming and forcing myself to sight more will help with that.

I want to do some research to figure out why I was having some issues with my legs when, to the best of my knowledge I wasn't using them???????
Transition 1
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

Not a smooth transition for me overall. I stopped in the porta potty to pee all went well with getting the bike, got off the timing mat and onto the bike to have a volunteer tell me the red line up ahead was the mount line, off the bike past the line, insead of putting my foot on the pedal and swiming my leg over like I do and practice I mount the bike then put my foot on the left pedal push, not enough momentum up the slight grade and get right foot on the bottom of the pedal and give my right shoe a little grinding on the ground. I get a little ways up and notice my hrm I keep on the bike is missing, somehow it slipped off it's mount but was still on the aero bar, I stopped and reattached it

Prior to the race make a point of knowing where the mount area is. Make sure I mount the bike properly.
Bike
  • 3h 42m 25s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.11 mile/hr
Comments:

I need a lot more saddle time. Had one flat tire and had a difficult time with the co2. I have had 3 flats in the last 2 years two were in my last two races. At about mile 40 the bike started feeling toughter and I was getting passed quite a bit at mile 48 is when I noted my front tire was real real low,,,,, I am assuming it had been low for several miles.

about 8 miles before the turn it started raining, at first it felt good then it got a bit much no big deal. At the turn it was downhill with the wind at my back, I was a bit nervous at 40+ mph on a wet road,,,,, that was the first time in years I've been on a wet surface with the bike.

practice with the co2 tool prior to the race. TRAIN a lot MORE.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

I likey when someone is there to grab your bike the second you hit the transition area. :)

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 28m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

In the Oly's I've done usually about two miles into it I get my running legs back, this never happaned, the entire run, felt like the first mile off the bike, I hate to say it but I did a lot of walking on this course, I didn't really have any problems with my hr spiking up or anything just some real pain in my legs the whole way. Just before mile 11 I thought I might be able to break the 7 hr mark and was sure this effort would not cause a dnf so I pushed through the pain and ran as hard as I could. I missed it but I did have a real strong run finish with a solid sprint the last 100 or 200 yards.... yah I passed a few folks just before the finish.

For the race nothing, I think a lot more bike time is the key here, I feel I used my legs up on the bike and was out of gas for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

walked a mile and drank lots of pop, ate sweet stuff

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not enough bike time and not enough bricks after long bike rides

Event comments:

Wow, I am spoiled for certain now. run aid stations every mile at least. A buffet every 2 miles. This was a real class act.

I am a little disapointed in my time, but pleased with my effort throught the race. I'm not in as good of shape as I thought. The course was tougher than what I had imagined it would be prior to arriving here. Doing a HIM is harder than I had imagined as well. Overall I am very happy with the overall race experience, my performance and my first M Dot experience.

Here is a link to the IM Live AG. I'll update the ag ranks when available.

http://liveupdate.ironmanlive.com/ppv/?rid=72

Last updated: 2006-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:34 | 2112 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 55/76
Overall: 603/861
Performance: Good
Watch shows avg hr 94, sounds a little low.
Suit: Team Javeling
Course: Clockwise loop with a 1/2 mile swim directly into the wind
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:43
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:42:25 | 56 miles | 15.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 71/76
Overall: 696/861
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: The course was a lot hillier than I had thought it would be prior to arriving. It was real inspiring, thinking of all the elite athletes who have made their way along the same road.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:28:29 | 13.1 miles | 11m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 57/76
Overall: 653/861
Performance: Bad
Course: Beautiful course in a very nice resort, some running on sand, grass cartparth, on the beach by the ocean.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-04 12:05 PM

User image

Subject: Ford Ironman 70.3 Honu

2006-06-04 2:09 PM
in reply to: #442489

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 Honu
All in all, still a really nice race.  Congrats.
2006-06-04 3:29 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Way to go Jim. Great race on a challenging course. Keep up the great training.
2006-06-04 3:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

Losing time because of a flat or a mechanical is the worst! Still, you hung in there and completed  your race. 

Congratulations, Jim.

I hope that when the time comes around I am still capable of doing a Half IM and being a grandpa (for the second time). Bonus points for having it all happen the same weekend!

Félix

2006-06-04 5:15 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Very nice!!! Isn't it gorgeous out there? It's nutty to see that you were basically within 80something seconds, including the flat, of an "official" finish... but it's also awesome to see what you did!

Aloha! & CONGRATULATIONS.
2006-06-04 5:20 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Congratulations on a good race. I used to live out there; I miss it. Good job!

2006-06-04 7:24 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Hey, I've gotten cramps like that swimming too, and I don't kick much either. Both in calves and in arches of feet. I've definitely determined *for me* taht it's due to dehydration/caffeine in the system. Also being excited/nervous, I think the little kicking I do do is with greater force - like a stressed out kick that causes your muscle to seize up. Don't know if this gives any clue.

Great race on such a hard course!
2006-06-04 10:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Congratulations Jim! What a great race.
You got through cramps, flat tires and dead legs, you gave it your all and you got there.

Interesting reading that it was harder than you had imagined, very motivating at the same time.
Definitely taking on board your comments of running off the bike.

Thanks for sharing your day and again congratulations on the race over a tough course.
2006-06-05 7:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Jim, WTG Grampa! What percentage of folks can say they went out there and did what you did! You should be extremely proud. The mental and physical hurdles will always be there. You handled leg cramps, remounting,a flat, wet roads, a tough run... in great stride. It is nice to race and recognize first-- that you did have success-- THEN perhaps what you need to work on. Bask in the glow of pride FIRST before beating yourself up about doing more bike training and bricks.
2006-06-05 7:37 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
DUDE you rock! Congrats on your 70.3 race and for the record there is not shame in walking at all. The most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the great accomplishments that we work so much hard for

Awesome job!

2006-06-05 4:05 PM

User image

CONGRATS on the 70.3!!!!!  you're awesome Jim!

2006-06-05 11:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Nice race. Great job on the swim and way to hang in there on the run.

Congratulations on the grandchild. Great weekend.
2006-06-06 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Awesome job!
2006-06-06 9:58 AM

Veteran
Chula Vista, Ca
Great job on the 70.3.
2006-06-06 10:09 PM

User image

NSW - Australia

what a weekend, does it get any better!!!!

Grandchild and a 70.3 - you legend

2006-06-06 10:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

Well done Jim!! Great effort!! You must be stoked with performance.

Swimming with a 1000 people would have freaked me out as well!!

PS I like the sound of a coffee smoothie, you must share your recipe......

2006-06-12 11:03 AM

User image

Thanks for all the comments and feedback.

We made it back from Kona Saturday about 1 pm, we were both exhausted from the trip, left Kona about 9 pm the night before on the red eye, no first class seats this time. Got to Seattle had some food and our first flight filled up so no seats availbe for us non revenue passangers, we did get the last two seats on the next flight our an hour and a half later. After the tri I really didn't slow down much, we went scub diving once or twice most every day after the tri, except for Sunday, we went snorkeling at some really great places.

A couple of items I thought of that I will do at the next tri is practice mounting the bike going out of the transition area, I keep my shoes clipped onto the bike and the grade of the road makes a difference, uphill harder downhill easier, usually they are uphill. On the run right or wrong I may try to do some sprint outs to loosen up the legs then slow back down to see if that may get the blood moving in the legs. I will experiment with this in some bricks as well.

The coffee smoothie was actually just a coma being left out but a coffee smothie hummm may have some merit, I gonna work on a recipe for that.

The official cut off time was 8:30 so I did get an official finish, breaking the 7 hour mark was a way I used to push myself and have a stronger finish than I would have had I continued running the way I had the first 11 miles.

On the muscle cramps in the swim Robin makes some great points, I do drink a lot of caffine, I know I was pretty well hydrated cause, well cause I know (went pee a lot prior to the race in the swim and right after the swim) I did do some hard kicking when people were smacking my legs with their arms. I will be working on longer open water swims this summer and doing speed workouts in the pool.

As some of you know my goal for the race was 6:15 While I missed it, I feel great about the race and I know I gave it all I had. The course is beautiful, the swim second to none on the most beautiful beach in the United States and I've been to Las Vegas Buffets with less food and selection.

We're going back next year!!!!!!

Thanks again for all of the support and kind words!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman 70.3 Honu Rss Feed