Geaux Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 19s
Overall Rank = 42/119
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/9
Pre-race routine:

Packed truck the night before and woke up at 5am. Breakfast, caught up with emails and out the door by 5:40.
Event warmup:

Got there at 6:35 and racked my bike and stood in line for timing chip and body marking. Unfortunately for this series I keep the same number and the same transition spot which is right by the swim run in. I much prefer near the bike exit, to me much it’s faster. Setup transition, hauled excess back to truck and ran 5 minutes to get loosened up and the heart rate going. Double checked by transition, put on my swimskin and headed down to the water. They had announced the water temp was 84 and not wetsuit legal. Water felt cooler than 84 but warm enough I wouldn’t have worn a wetsuit. Quick swim to the first buoy, treaded water, swam a bit more and then headed in. Chatted with the other racers, watched the first two waves go off.
Swim
  • 09m 51s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

Positioned myself back in the group a little which was a major mistake. They say go, the fast guys take off and the guys in front of me start wading out doing some weird doggie paddle. I tried to swim around a couple of guys but they are all over the place. Finally gets some open water and get into a groove but I am a bit outside and keep running into swimmers who have stopped and are catching their breath. This is a beginner race and I was once one of those guys so I just checked to make sure they were okay and kept going. Rounded the buoy and ran into more swimmers doing all sorts of strokes. Finally get some clear water and swam until my hand touched the ground. Carefully climbed up the ramp (very slippery) and headed to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Start farther up front
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Off with swimskin. Sunglasses on, helmet on, jog with bike to mount line, step on inside pedal and I am off.

Practice getting swimskin off
Bike
  • 35m 1s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Little trouble with my feet slipping off the shoes but up the hill, up to speed, slip my feet into shoes and I am off. Immediately start passing people. A lot of riders riding in the middle or to the left of the lane and me yelling “to your left” a lot. Eventually got some open area and just kept pushing it. My goal was to just about redline and hang on for the run. About the 4 mile mark the lead rider was coming back and he was flying! For the first 4.5 miles no one passed me and I passed a bunch of people. About the 4.5 mile mark a female rider with “Cherie” on your bottom passed me. Let’s just say that triathlon has been good to Cherie and I hoped to be passed by her in future races (nice job Cherie as it looks like you took first female!). Hit the turn around and right on time with about 18 minutes. Head back and pretty much the same thing but according to my Garmin I had a negative split! About mile 11 another rider passes me, he is the last rider to pass me. As I get near the end I take my feet out of the shoes, swing my leg over and glide to the dismount line and get off there. Now the guy at the dismount line (I recognize him from my masters swim) is yelling for me to get off the bike before the blue line. To him, Yes, I know!!!!! But the concept is not to get off the bike 10 feet from the line! It’s much faster to dismount near the dismount line! He was yelling to a lot of newbie’s and causing them to dismount too soon. Will need to track him down and clarify.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Rack the bike, lose the helmet, put on shoes (no socks), grab my race number and I am off. I put my race number on just before exiting transition. Definitely a fast transition.
Run
  • 16m 41s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Start the run and expect my calf’s to lock up but they don’t. My legs feel dead but just push thru and try to control my breathing. Manage to pass some people but get passed by a couple. Hit the turn around and just feel like I am slowing but decide to just keep pushing (only a mile left I keep thinking). Keep things going as best I can, pass a couple of folks, eventually get to the ramp that leads down to the finish, sprint the end and I am done

While I have been working on my running I really burned too much on the bike. But in this case with a short run and a short ride I don’t think it hurt me all that much. While I have done some speed work I do need more work on my running speed.
Post race
Warm down:

Gatorade, hot dogs, a beer

Last updated: 2012-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:51 | 400 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 75/119
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:01 | 12 miles | 20.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 35/119
Wind: Little
Course: Out and bck
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:16:41 | 02 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 54/119
Course: out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-17 7:07 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: Tri New Roads Triathlon

2012-06-17 10:16 PM
in reply to: #4265959

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri New Roads Triathlon
Great race, Gary. I love that you stopped to check on other swimmers and to make sure they were ok.
2012-06-18 10:09 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City
Nice race Gary!
2012-06-26 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago

Great race! And nice that you remembered when you were a newbie swimminer.

You really hammered the bike!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri New Roads Triathlon Rss Feed