General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake I - Olympic Triathlon - Swim/Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Guelph Lake I - Olympic Triathlon - Swim/Bike - Aquabike

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Guelph, Ontario
Canada
Trisport Canada
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 26s
Overall Rank = 2/11
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Ate my bagel, drank my Sustained Energy, drove to the site.
Event warmup:

Did a quick little out-and-back to the first buoy.
Swim
  • 29m 16s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

I wanted to get in a good naked swim, so I did. It was pretty awesome actually. Being in the masses (and not further up front with the better swimmers) was a pretty crazy experience, actually. There was lots of contact, and for a while I actually panicked a little bit.

There weren't many people to draft off of, but at least my sighting has been better. I'm definitely no longer swimming outside to avoid the traffic, I'm deep in the middle. This has probably been my biggest change this year.

I may have pushed a little hard at some points, but once I caught my rhythm, everything seemed to work out pretty smoothly.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe wear my wetsuit actually. I could have been the fastest swimmer in the swim/bike.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

It took forever to get my shirt on over my wet body. Next time I'm wearing a single piece, or remembering to bring my race belt. Hopping on the bike was okay, but I stumbled with my shoes again. I need to practice more again. I had it last year, but it suffered since.

See above
Bike
  • 1h 11m 10s
  • 40 kms
  • 33.72 km/hr
Comments:

Killed the bike on this one. It was a good feeling when the crowds started thinning out. I only got passed by a few people from the wave behind me (there were only three waves, and I started in the middle). It was nice to be able to fully push all the way, but like the week before, there was a mushy middle. I tried to pick things up in the end, which worked reasonably well.

Still finished very well, with another killer bike average! You can't argue with being the fastest biker in the swim/bike!

Not a whole lot. Maybe push a little less in the beginning, and more in the middle.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a warm-down, really. Parked my bike and cheered everyone else on!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not wearing my wetsuit.

Event comments:

I have to admit it was slightly disappointing that there were no awards given out to the swim/bikers. I don't really care about those kinds of things, but yeah... I totally did. This was probably the only time I would have been in a position to stand on a podium, so it sucked to have no acknowledgement of it whatsoever afterward.

I did feel like a bit of a second-class citizen. It's not even like I saved much on entry fees. With my late entry, I actually paid more than I would have if I signed up for the full race in advance. Plus there's no T-shirt.

From now on I'll probably only do Multisport swim/bikes.

Last updated: 2012-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:16 | 1500 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 3/11
Performance: Good
Suit: speedos
Course: Single-loop rectangular course, with a long run into transition included in the time. Actual swim time was 27:48
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:11:10 | 40 kms | 33.72 km/hr
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 1/11
Performance: Good
AHR: 154
Wind: Little
Course: Straight out-and-back. Moderate hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-06-25 12:51 PM

User image

Toronto, ON
Subject: Guelph Lake I - Olympic Triathlon - Swim/Bike
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake I - Olympic Triathlon - Swim/Bike Rss Feed