General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Middle TN Bike Shops Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-25 4:44 PM

Subject: Middle TN Bike Shops

I am starting to consider buying a tri bike.  I am not in a hurry (unless I find a great deal) and want to take the right approach.  I do find it odd that a city the size of Nashville only has one true triathlon store that I could find.  There are several bike shops that can get me a tri bike though.  I've been into Acme and the people were very helpful on just a quick fact finding visit.  I know I should do a full bike fit (they suggested that as well).  I did notice they carry Felt, Cervelo, QR.  I've heard good things about those brands but also don't want to break the bank.  I've also received some decent pricing on 2011 model bikes by calling around.  Unfortunately none of those are in stock so can't test ride before an order and not sure how much experience their fitter would have with tri bikes.

Any suggestions on places to look?  When is the best time of year to buy?  I'm fine waiting until winter if I can get a better deal on 2012 closeouts.

2012-06-25 8:30 PM
in reply to: #4279768

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Middle TN Bike Shops

I really don't think there is a 'good time of year' to buy.  Deals come and go.  But it isn't as easy to say that every January bikes get marked down to prepare for the next years models.  Unfortunately, most shops' hands are really tied.  For instance, Cervelo really dropped the ball this year.  They had production issues like crazy.  Trying to get a P2 is really difficult right now. And I can't imagine them having an inventory to mark down in the winter. 

The key, imo, is to form a relationship with a bike shop and buy from those you trust.  So you need to establish your budget and stick to it.  Be upfront with the shop. 

For what it's worth, I have NEVER test ridden a bike that I purchased.  There isn't a need.  What you need is for it to be the right size and be fitted to it properly.  Beyond that, there isn't much you can tell by just rolling down the street on it. 

2012-06-28 12:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
I'm from Memphis and my goto shop is RB's Cyclery.  There's one in Franklin.  Give them a try.
2012-06-28 12:58 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Corey, There are some really fine shops in Middle Tennessee that know tri bikes, so Acme isn't the only option (although I hear they are a quite a fine shop--as is RB's).

But I have a suggestion for you to consider.  There is a Nashville cycling coach that does professional retul fits.  Most of his clients are triathletes, he knows triathlon fitting.

He doesn't sell bikes and that's probably ideal.  Once you have your fit coordinates you will be completely able to assess the fit of any bike you are looking at, even over the internet.  This could open up some great options for you to buy used on ebay.

http://www.endeavorperformance.com/index.php/bicycle-fitting

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Middle TN Bike Shops Rss Feed