Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Wetsuit for Alberta lakes Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-05 3:04 PM

User image

Regular
Edmonton
Subject: Wetsuit for Alberta lakes
Hi Everyone

I am a recent addition to the Triathlon ranks here in Alberta. I just completed the Coronation Triathlon (my first) and I am now setting my sights on the Summerside Triathlon in late August. I was hoping for a little advice as far as wetsuits go, as I am in the market for one now. Any suggestions as far as thickness, brand, style, basically looking for the best bang for my buck.
Thanks in Advance
Clifton

2006-06-13 12:24 PM
in reply to: #443825

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Wetsuit for Alberta lakes
Have you seen this article from slowtwitch.com? A good fit is the big thing to look for. The more expensive suits are stretchier but if you find a good fit in a less expensive suit that's all you need. I doubt we'll have to worry about overheating much in Alberta so I got a full suit for the added bouyancy, speed, and warmth.
2006-06-25 11:19 AM
in reply to: #452743

New user

Speaking of wetsuits.... Do any of you know where I can get wetsuits etc in the Calgary area? Are there any specialty shops or just ones that carry a good selection of triathlon gear hiding that I can't seem to find? I have searched high and low and apparently women can only buy string bikinis and this seems like a bad idea for racing.... or that could just be me.... but any help would be appreciated.
2006-06-29 4:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Speed Theory (used to be Way Past Fast) in the NW probably has the biggest selection of swimming wet suits you could hope for.

Bow Cycle also carries a couple of brands - they had DeSoto 2-piece suits in tiny sizes on sale when I was there on the weekend.

2006-07-19 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
There is also 'Try-It' on Parkdale Blvd (right near Memorial and Crowchild). They've just opened up but I'm sure they could order something in for you. Cyclepath also USED to sell wetsuits, I'm not sure if they do anymore. Cyclepath is on McLeod and about 92nd Ave SE.
2008-05-06 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary

Just thought I would revisit this thread, can anyone comment on the use for a wetsuit, this is my first time doing a triathlon and I am registered for the Lake Chaparal in Aug and don't know if I would need one. I am looking a buying a XTerra Vortex 2 but not sure if it will work for lakes around here.

Thanks for your comments.

Happy Tri-ing.

2008-05-06 3:15 PM
in reply to: #1385386

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
Pasman - 2008-05-06 2:08 PM

Just thought I would revisit this thread, can anyone comment on the use for a wetsuit, this is my first time doing a triathlon and I am registered for the Lake Chaparal in Aug and don't know if I would need one. I am looking a buying a XTerra Vortex 2 but not sure if it will work for lakes around here.

Thanks for your comments.

Happy Tri-ing.

Hey!

While I haven't done the Chaparral Race specifically, I have done Arbour Lake, and a wetsuit is a necessity here, even in the summers! Chaparral is later in the year, so it might be warmer and you might not need a wetsuit. You can always rent one from Speed Theory or Tri-it if this is your first season, and you can try out a couple different types at the different stores to see which fit better for you.

that's my $0.02.
2008-05-07 2:24 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I did the sprint at Lake Chaparal in '05 without a wetsuit. It had been cold in the week leading up to the race and there weren't too many others that didn't have one on. The water temp was a bit of a shock when I first jumped in for a warm up, but I didn't even notice it during the race. You can do it. I did buy a wetsuit before the next season started though.
2008-05-08 11:23 AM

User image

Regular
Edmonton
I would have to recommend getting one, I was there last year and would have found it pretty cold swimming in that lake. Plus its always a nice insurance system in case you run into trouble, I'm not a great swimmer so I like to know if I stop I can just sit there and bob around for a while instead of having to tread water.
I would probably look at renting one and buying one in the off season when you could probably swing a pretty sweet deal.
2008-05-08 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
I think for every time you rent one at Tri-It, they will take maybe $20 off the price of a wetsuit if you buy one at the end of the season. So it's kind of like a rent-to-own program which is pretty cool.
2008-05-09 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
I am taking up the Xterra 50% off deal on the vortex 2. I called them up and they said no problem. So $200 for a full wetsuit  Ifigured what the hey. then I have it and can use it for training in other lakes as well.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Wetsuit for Alberta lakes Rss Feed