Set Up Events
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 40s
Overall Rank = 43/85
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up just before 4 AM, shuffled out to the kitchen to start my coffee. Returned to get dressed and pull my hair up. Ate breakfast quickly, loaded up the car.....we had to stop for gas and ice for our cooler.

We were less than 10 miles from home when a lightning strike landed on a tree near the light we had stopped at. I turned to my husband and said it would be okay if he wanted to go back home. We kept going to Williamsburg, watching the lightning as it lit up the sky for the entire ride.

I knew last night (in my mind) that they would change it to a du so when we got to the site I even debated on whether I would unload my gear yet. I grabbed my transition bag only and headed over to the registration area and portapotties. Volunteers were trying to tell us to not even walk over there yet, but I had to pee so I was going to where the portapotties were no matter what they said. John decided to go back and get my bike when I was in the potty, filled up the aero bottle for me and loaded the other bottle on the frame.

We waited around for registration to open, I got marked and set up transition. Still no announcement other than race start times would be delayed by 30 minutes while they tried to replace the bouys for the swim course that had been blown all over during the storms last night.

Once that decision was announced to change to duathlon, I sat down and put body glide on the feet. I have a callous on my left foot that likes to get irritated on the run. At least I wouldn't be wasting time in T2 for this cause I could put my socks and shoes on and leave the socks on all day.
Event warmup:

RD finally made the announcement at 7 AM that he was turning the race to a duathlon. They hadn't been able to get the bouys back in.

Oly waves first then sprint waves. Everyone starts with a 1 mile run up the parkway to the trail half mile each direction.

Did a bit of yoga stretching while waiting and a couple of pick ups. Maybe 5 minutes at the most.

My wave was the last one out, about 3-5 minutes before we were to go off there was another loud clap of thunder. I looked at the woman next to me and said first sign of lightning and I end the day. She agreed.
Swim
  • 10m 3s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

This turned to a 1 mile run. We started on the Colonial Parkway and headed up to the Greenspring Trail, half a mile out and another half mile back.

I don't like duathlons, the format sucks. However, I knew that I needed to do the event this way and knew to start the first run easy. So I started off easy and passed a bunch of people but not as many as I thought. Ran back in and John told me my time.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start off a bit faster on a du? Not sure, I know with this format you have to save the legs for the rest of the day as it's a leg intensive event.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

I had prime location in transition for the bike out, but a long run up from the first run to my spot. Guy next to me had his crap everywhere and it was hard to get the bike off the rack. Cross the mount line to get moving.
Bike
  • 42m 51s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Takes forever to et out of the park, the pot hole filled "road" is a mess. Once I got out on the road I was able to get up to speed fairly well. Kept passing and being repassed by the same woman, she was in my age group too. I overtook her again after the turnaround but she passed me again shortly before the end of the course.

Lots of debris from the storms, for the most part the debris was in the shoulder so we had to ride further out in the road than normal. Not much for traffic and what was out there was kept under control pretty well by the local police and volunteers.

For the last 2 miles I felt my quads on fire. Whatever, keep pedaling. Back to the park and the part of the access road near the turn off is resealed since the last time I rode on it (Patriot last year), but after a couple hundred yards it's back to the pot holes and beat up chip seal mess. Rode more conservatively in that mess which is probably why my overall speed is so low. The whole ride I was averaging 18-22 miles/ hour. Got to that mess and my speed was just about 15 for safety.

Be less cautious on the mess leading in and out of the park
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Prime location for bike in, long azz run out. My rack mates are slobs and I can't reach my gear easily.
Run
  • 29m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

So I head off to run, skipping the water stop on the way out of transition. Along the same road we did run 1 on, but we turn left onto the trail running along rows of cornfields. I found my rabbit from the bike, announced myself with an "Oh, it's you again". Her reply was that the run course was mine as she was NOT a runner. I never saw her again.

The humidity is pretty high and I don't feel like my breathing is right....but my inhaler is on my bike. I'm not wheezing, but I can tell the humidity has made itself known.

Hit the first mile water handoff and grab a cup from a kid to drink and one from an adult to dump on my head. Keep running, legs feel pretty good. The soreness in my back had eased off by the time I got onto the trail.

Made my way to the turn, head down through more cornfields. People coming back up tell us there's ice cold water at the turn around. That water was ice cold, dumped it on my head. The Oly racers had to turn right at that corner to keep going, I heard another sprinter post race say she missed the turnaround sign and ran an extra mile on the oly course. Anyway, I made the turn back and kept running. Cheered on all the RTC tri members I saw in uniform. Felt good, as I turned off the trail back up the parkway it started to rain lightly. Evidently, it poured in the transition area .....

Finished strong. Kind of disappointed with the overall time, but my swim time would have been slower than the first run split with a longer transition run so I don't know what the deal is other than the conservative riding on the lousy park road surface.
Post race
Warm down:

walk around, find an empty portapotty. They were announcing the expectation of more storms coming in quickly so I gathered my toys and loaded them in the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Caution on the bike with debris and the park access roads being crappy

Event comments:

Set up dropped the ball on this one. I was surprised that the announcement was so late for making it a du.

43/85 of the women......115 of all sprinters, not sure how many did sprint vs oly......4th? in AG

Last updated: 2012-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:03 | 820 yards | 01m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/85
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:51 | 12.43 miles | 17.40 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Out and back, mostly flat but the way out of the park and return back in are on a pot hole filled chip seal mess of old parking lot. Remainder of the course is smooth, but all sorts of debris from the storms.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:09 | 03.11 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on the Greenspring Trail through corn fields.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-01 12:24 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: Jamestown Sprint Triathlon

2012-07-01 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4289164

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Jamestown Sprint Triathlon

Good job hanging in there and getting the job done.  Always throws one off when the race changes for sure. 

Sounds like some tough conditions. 

Keuka Tri would have been cancelled swim, run and bike if there was lightning. 

Edited by dexter 2012-07-01 1:40 PM
2012-07-01 1:40 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

With the weather you guys have been getting I guess its a wonder the whole thing didn't get postponed or cancelled!

Nice race, changing formats last minute makes it tough to come up witht the right pacing strategy!

2012-07-01 1:54 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Glad you were still able to race.  Nice job given all the craziness.

Really surprised that SetUp dropped the ball on this.  Usually they are so good.

2012-07-01 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4289237

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada

Sounds like a tough day with the conditions and the last minute change of the race format.

Good job out there!

2012-07-01 2:47 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Fine job on a sudden duathlon and well executed with the sudden changes.

I think you were smart to bike cautiously through the mess!

Congratulations!

2012-07-01 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Wow, reading about the lightning on the way to the race made me nervous. Way to get er done, Judi! I was thinking about you today and hoping that the heat would let up. Sounds like it was pretty brutal out there, but you rocked it!
2012-07-03 8:29 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Speedy stuff! Nice work under the conditions!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jamestown Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed