General Discussion Race Reports! » UP Northwoods Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

UP Northwoods Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Iron Mountain, Michigan
United States
The Northern Lights YMCA
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 53m 12s
Overall Rank = 15/34
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 before the alarm went off. Got dressed, had a cup of coffee with my wheat bagel pb&j. Loaded up the truck for the 45 min drive to the race. Got the family going and made it to the venue a little after 6. Got my transition set up. Chatted a bit and got down to the water.
Event warmup:

Walked around. Hung out by the water some.
Swim
  • 30m 40s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty good swim overall. The first 50 yards was very shallow and I dolphin dove a lot to get to deeper water. Had a really good swim out. Had some difficulty sighting on the way back as the sun was coming up right over the finish area. Got a little off course, but not too far.
What would you do differently?:

Try to sight more, but really just keep training.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Happy with my T1. Had everything set up good and made decent time.

Nothing really
Bike
  • 1h 19m 5s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a good ride. Thought it would be slow when I drove the course the day before due to the hills. Handled the hills well and didn't kill myself in the process. Did a good job of maintaining pace up and hitting it hard back down. It was a very challenging course but fun at the same time. The road surface was very rough in spots though.

Train in hills more I guess. I'm used to rollers in my area. These were huge by comparison.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Good T2. Got in and got out with no drama and no problems. Happy with my performance.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 00m 1s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Got out in good shape. Ran my race. Didn't push too hard to start as I wanted to finish in good shape. Had a little cramp trying to creep in about 1/2 way through but I backed off just a little and it subsided. Picked up my pace a bit in the last 2k or so. All out sprint to the finish.

Train more. I have come a long way with my running, but need to keep training for improvement.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, Went pee, had some water and sat down for a few. Got some fruit at the food table and that helped a lot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just my lack of training lately. Moving up to mostly Olympics this year has been a good experience, but has also revealed some weakness in my training. I started out great over the winter, but have tailed off due to travel and family.

Event comments:

Very well put on race. Only their 2nd year and they did a great job. Plenty of volunteers on the course. No misrouting snafus. Plenty of aid stations. All the volunteers very friendly and helpful.
Superior Timing is Awesome!! Got a little receipt at the finish line with all my splits and non-official rankings real time. That was the coolest set up I've seen yet. I will do this race again and I would recommend it to anyone. The course was challenging for sure, but in a good way.

Last updated: 2012-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:40 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 11/34
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: Straight out into lake, then sort of a triangle coming back. The water was very clear and nice. Typical of UP lakes. counter-clockwise keeping bouys on the left.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:03
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:19:05 | 24.85 miles | 18.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 12/34
Wind: Little
Course: Loop around the lake and surrounding area with one little out and back thrown in. Hills were the name of the game. Large UP hills. Some steep, and some pretty long. I'm very happy with my overall time on the bike. The only flat sections was about 5k around the lake, otherwise it was grinding/standing and rocking back down. Very scenic beautiful area.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:01 | 06.21 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 22/34
Performance: Average
Course: Run around the lake with a short loop through a neighborhood thrown in. Mainly flat but the run through the neighborhood had a good steep long climb thrown in. It was hot in the full sun. I was a bit depleted from the bike and got passed by a couple people. I was able to run pretty well for me though, and I passed one guy in my ag at the end and finished really strong.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-02 6:37 AM

New user
Yorkville, IL
Subject: UP Northwoods Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » UP Northwoods Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed