General Discussion Race Reports! » Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival - Xterra Off-Road Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival - Xterra Off-Road Triathlon - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Show Low, Arizona
United States
Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival
Total Time = 3h 42m 13s
Overall Rank = 109/115
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/24
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Show Low Friday, picked up race packets, got sized for and ordered esoles, dropped some cash at the Trisports.com tent. ($20 DeSoto Tri shorts - what a bargain) Put on my wetsuit and went for a swim in the lake. Found a pizza place, the pizza was good, but the smoking and the strange looks from the locals were a bit of a turn off.

Saturday, rode around the lake checking out the Deuceman and Oly races. Went for a dip in the hotel pool. Found a different pizza place with better atmosphere and had some pasta.

Sunday, drove out to the site, set up transition, ate breakfast (bagels, peanutbutter, bananas, fruit) made a trip to the banana johns and headed down to the boat dock.
Event warmup:

Got into the water to warm up for the swim. Everybody got called back for pre-race meeting.
Swim
  • 24m 52s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

800 meter with wade in. Started to the back and to the right. Started out freestyle, anxiety kicked in, switched to breast stroke until I could get my breathing back. Talked to another racer having similar problems. Resumed freestyle. Started to veer off-course. Made my way back on course, and rounded the first triangular bouy.

Switched to backstroke for a little bit and resumed free-style. Still kept veering off course. Rounded second triangular bouy.

Got the swimming, sighting, navigation, thing down better. Last section went pretty good.

Despite being slower than most of the field, I still finished 10 minutes faster than I anticipated.
What would you do differently?:

Finding some open water for training would help. Maybe some different goggles.
Transition 1
  • 06m 18s
Comments:

Exited the water, pulled my goggles and cap off. Took my wetsuit down to my waist. The wetsuit strippers did the rest.

My slow swim had its advantages...I found my bike right away.

Fast walk to my bike, put on shoes, camelbak, dew rag, helmet gloves,fast walk with bike to the mounting line. (Could have swore they said get on your bike at the "mountain lion".) Bike mount was mediocre considering that it was going uphill.
Bike
  • 2h 00m 30s
  • 14.91 miles
  • 7.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt like I had the course to myself.

Course had a mix of about everything. Started on pavement, and a curb hop led us to the dirt. Mix of singletrack, jeep / fire road. The course started out with mellow climbing then went into steep climbing with lots of loose large rocks. Did some walking along the way. Went through a couple of areas that had been burned in a forest fire a couple of years earlier.

Rode alone most of the trip with Moby's "Extreme Ways" going through my head.

One of the areas was the "Bone yard". Downed, burned trees lay across the course forcing riders to dismount, and carry their bikes as they crossed. This was one of the areas where I found another rider, whose response was "Holy Sh*T"

Downhill had more of the same: rocky trail, dirt road, and fire road. The ascents were traded for some fast descents, a couple of them fairly steep.

Had some near crashes, but still kept the rubberside down throughout the course.

Got back to pavement and went into transition.
What would you do differently?:

I think I could have gone faster if I was more familiar with the course.
Transition 2
  • 04m 11s
Comments:

Downhill transition with a running dismount at the transition line. Nothing too sensational about the rest of it. Changed shoes, put on race cap and fuel belt and took off.
Run
  • 1h 06m 21s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 13m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was an out and back trail run, with a serious hill called the "Eliminator". I knew I could finish the course, but wouldn't be able to run the whole thing. The "Eliminator" and most of the other ascents were walked.

This was the only leg of the race where I passed more people than people passed me.

The popsicles at the finish were good.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. My wife and brother-in-law packed up my equipment and let me relax with my popsicle.

Grabbed my "Grumpy Jakes BBQ" tray and munched. Gave my raffle ticket to another competitor on the way out (hope it brought you luck.)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My equipment functioned like it was supposed to, I live at the same altitude so my lungs did what they were supposed to. I live and train in the desert, so the temperature wasn't much of an issue.

Not being familiar with the course was a factor. My swim, though improving, continues to be a factor.

Some training guidelines for next year: More time in the water. Gonna have to find some open water out here in the desert.

I've done more Off-road riding this year which helped. Maybe find some steeper climbs.

Running: My major concerns going into this race, were the swim and the bike, so that's where I focused most of my training. For next year, more (balanced) run time on the trails, especially hills.

Event comments:

Overall, I felt good about this race. The Trisports staff did a good job getting the races together and providing support. I anticipate buying more tri-stuff from them in the future. Also plan on doing this or one of the other "Deuces Wild" races next year.

Last updated: 2006-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:52 | 875 yards | 02m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/115
Performance: Below average
Suit: xterra sleeveless
Course: counter-clockwise triangular course at Fools Hollow Lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:00:30 | 14.91 miles | 7.42 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Mixed off-road terrain.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:06:21 | 04.97 miles | 13m 21s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Mixed terrain. Contained a serious climb called the eliminator.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-06 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Subject: Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival - Xterra Off-Road Triathlon

2006-06-06 12:34 PM
in reply to: #444700

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival - Xterra Off-Road Triathlon

Great race!  I did this Xterra last year, and the tree section was crazy.  Definitely fun.

I couldn't pass up those $20 DeSoto tri shorts either! 

2006-06-06 3:31 PM
in reply to: #444962

User image

Expert
New Mexico
I read your report from last year, so I had some idea what I was getting myself into (made me a little nervous). This one was definately one of my more challenging and rewarding races.
2006-06-06 4:41 PM
in reply to: #444700

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
He he....glad my loooooong race reports are good for something. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival - Xterra Off-Road Triathlon Rss Feed