General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-07-06 10:15 AM

User image

Regular
Massachusetts
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread
Someone just sent me the elevation charts for the Timberman ride/run.  Maybe I should have looked at them sooner, but I'm in a state of panic about making it up those hills (not to mention down).  Any suggestions or reassuring words would be greatly appreciated.

2012-07-06 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4297109

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread
BradyFinney - 2012-07-06 11:15 AM

Someone just sent me the elevation charts for the Timberman ride/run.  Maybe I should have looked at them sooner, but I'm in a state of panic about making it up those hills (not to mention down).  Any suggestions or reassuring words would be greatly appreciated.

Ah, it really is not all that bad. There is a beast of a hill at the start of the bike ride. Then it is mostly an out and back whereby you can really settle in. Just get in your easiest gear and spin the hills. Consider your gearing and make sure that you have something easy to pedal. There are some smaller hills on the run, but nothing to worry about. Just go easy and get up them or walk them and save your legs for the flats. I am not a strong rider or runner and I really have never thought about Timberman about being riduculously hilly. Good luck!
2012-07-06 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4297498

User image

gatjr33 - 2012-07-06 12:54 PM

Ah, it really is not all that bad. There is a beast of a hill at the start of the bike ride. Then it is mostly an out and back whereby you can really settle in. Just get in your easiest gear and spin the hills. Consider your gearing and make sure that you have something easy to pedal. There are some smaller hills on the run, but nothing to worry about. Just go easy and get up them or walk them and save your legs for the flats. I am not a strong rider or runner and I really have never thought about Timberman about being riduculously hilly. Good luck!

Totally agree with this. I use a compact crank with an 11-23 cassette. It enables me to spin up the hills, but still have plenty of gearing to push hard the remainder of the course. In my opininon I think its a pretty fast bike course.

I find the run to be sneaky tough though. As gatjr33 mentioned, nothing crazy for hills, but there can be quite a bit of sun exposure. I've done this race 3-4 times and every time its been pretty hot on the run.
2012-07-07 4:41 PM
in reply to: #4297601

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
pauljra - 2012-07-06 2:35 PM

gatjr33 - 2012-07-06 12:54 PM

Totally agree with this. I use a compact crank with an 11-23 cassette. It enables me to spin up the hills, but still have plenty of gearing to push hard the remainder of the course. In my opininon I think its a pretty fast bike course.

I find the run to be sneaky tough though. As gatjr33 mentioned, nothing crazy for hills, but there can be quite a bit of sun exposure. I've done this race 3-4 times and every time its been pretty hot on the run.

I would agree with the last comment. I have done this race a few times as well and the heat can sneak up on you during the run. There is a little shade and you are right next to the lake but the heat can get to you.
2012-07-07 5:40 PM

I have alot of research and little time so I am hoping some of u can help me out. I did Muncie today. They shortened the course due to the heat. They are giving us a discount on one of four races this year and Timberman is one. Does anyone know the area, Is there a good campgound close? Are there things for the wife and seven year old daughter to do? We are talking about not going to see the mouse at Disney and going there instead. The wife has always wanted to see that area of the country. Any suggestions?

2012-07-07 7:05 PM
in reply to: #4299312

I am sure there are a lot of campgrounds.  I am just not a camper. 

There is plenty to do in the area and lots of kid friendly things.

Kid friendly attractions:  Santa's Village (small Christmas themed amusement park - FUN, rides aren't big), StoryLand (same deal but fairy tale based), Polar Caves, water parks, tubing in the local rivers, etc.  There's also Mt. Washington and lots of hiking in the area, etc.  Lake Winni, itself has a tourist area - Weirs Beach.  Flume gorge is a great hike, top of Cannon or Loon Mtns on the trams, festivals, etc. There's outlet shopping too. 

You are also close enough to head out to the Maine coast - Kennebunkport, Portland (a little farther away).  Grab some lobster!

Try this site:  http://www.visitnh.gov/

Mouse/Disney is definitely one way to go.  NH/Maine would be a totally different type of vacation.  Active but not so commercial.  Depends on if your daughter really wants to do Disney. 

2012-07-08 5:53 AM

Thanks swim happy I've got some decisions to make. Ironman is still sorting it out and we should hear about the discount later this week.
2012-07-08 2:47 PM

User image

If you want to camp check out Gunstock Mountain Resort. There web site is gunstock.com. This is where race check in is along with The Pre-race meeting. The race takes place Ellacoya State Park. The year I did it there was a shuttle Bus service from the two places. Anyone could use the shuttle.
2012-07-08 7:18 PM

User image

Biddeford, Maine
There is a Yogi Bear Campground in Ashland (about a 25 minute drive). I have either raced or worked as a referee for the past 5 years. My wife and daughters hang out at the campground for the day and there are a lot of activities there. They have a pool and splashpark. There is also a river to play in.
The race venue is not overly family friendly since WTC bought the race.
2012-07-09 7:28 AM

Thanks, everyone. This is becomming a possiblity. I'm not real excited about trying to train again as I trained for a flat and fast bike in Muncie and rolling hills on the run. Now the opposite, but if it was easy everyone would be doing it. I also figure it would be good to give Ironman one more chance after what happened in Muncie. The area looks good. I have still have a few days to decide.
2012-07-09 8:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Oh, don't worry - there's a hill on the Timberman run that you get to do twice.

2012-07-11 1:43 PM

, Oregon

Greetings All:

Just registered here. Quick Intro: I live in Gilford, about 1 mile from Gunstock. I swim, bike and run on and around the sprint and HIM course.

The camping question. Consider right at Gunstock. That is the "athlete village" location and camping there ranges from "wooded" to open field. 

As for the bike course. There are a few climbs on the Sprint part of the course (that is also, mostly, part of the HIM course). Right out of the gate, you climb. There are then come inclines to deal with till the turnaround. You then climb again. Once you crest the hill just before Gilford Village (Hoyt Road) you hit the fast part of the sprint.

AS for the HIM bike, there are some hills on the short turn outs on Rte. 106. 

The run for the Sprint is a slight incline out and fast back. The HIM course runs past the sprint turnaround and has one small hill on the way back, just past the 5K turnaround point. Somehow, it gets steeper the second time around.

I've not yet signed up for this but am considering the HIM. 

Welcome to Gilford. 

2012-07-13 5:43 PM

User image

How's everyone training going?

I raced Eagleman back in June, relaxed a bit and now ramping it back up. Feeling good and really looking forward to the race. Hoping to rip a PR at Timberman this year!
2012-07-17 9:54 AM

User image

NH

Training is going great so far, staying healthy and that's the key.  The lake is gorgeous, about 77 at our dock last weekend, so if you're counting on wearing a wetsuit hopefully the weather will moderate a bit, which is likely.

I've ridden the course a few times this summer as I have a cottage up there and love getting into the hills.  The road is rough in spots so be prepared for "New England cobblestone".  I'm not trying to alarm or scare anyone, but I'd practice some climbing if possible.  There's nothing super crazy, but there are definitely some hills.  While there are much tougher hills up around the lake, Marsh Hill (about 10 miles into the course) is not really what I'd call a roller.  Paul is a very strong cyclist and triathlete in general, so take his comments with the appropriate caveat! 

For me, the winds after the turnaround can actually be worse than the hills - there are some days it's a howling headwind and there's not much tree protection out there near the speedway.
2012-07-17 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Headed up on July 26 and 27 from CT to do a dry run of the course - I can't wait.  Camping at the Paugus Bay Campground in Laconia.  Open invite to anyone looking to meet up for a swim, ride, run, or dinner. 

2012-07-17 2:49 PM
in reply to: #4315643

User image

Great call on the winds at the turn.. I think I've just blocked that out of my memory!

Thanks for the update on the roads too. I remeber last year some of the decents and flats following the decents were a bit sketchy. Sounds like more of the same for this year....

Glad to hear your training is going well Warren!

Edited by pauljra 2012-07-17 2:51 PM

2012-07-19 3:30 PM

, Oregon

Having biked the course a few times in recent weeks, here is what I recall of road conditions:

Rte 106 heading south on the stretch NORTH of Belmont: the breakdown lane has many spots where the pavement is broken up with lots of cracks. I've been forced into the travel lane a few times. 

Rte. 107 on the return (the fast downhill ) pavement is pretty cracked up.

Frank Bean Road (the turn near the Laconia Ice Arena) is rough

Intervale Road (Rte 11b near Beans and Greens Farmstand) is pretty cracked up.

There is also road work going on on Rte 11 right at the entrance to Ellacoya (start and end of the bike). They are currently grooving sections of the road. I'm not sure if there is a total repave or just patching going on there. 

2012-07-19 9:24 PM

Thanks kis, I am really on the fence about this race. I have not done much/any hill training as I was training for Muncie. Muncie got shortened due to heat. I am looking at campgrounds now and will probably stay at gunstock during the race. We have 3 weeks off, 2 before the race and one after. So we are looking at things to do while traveling from Chicago out that way. We are leaning towards a week at Bayleys campground on the Maine coast. We have never been to the Northeast and I am a little aprehensive about trying to race while camping. I have done a sprint in Florida while camping but a HIM is another story.
2012-07-20 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
 DistanceElevationGrade
CatStartEndLengthMinMaxAvg.Max
Category 6.55916170664 Climb9.59 mi11.22 mi1.63 mi646 ft954 ft3.6%--
Category 2.00131120606 Climb43.62 mi44.25 mi0.63 mi888 ft954 ft2.0%--
Category 1.79068347616 Climb48.52 mi48.99 mi0.47 mi748 ft814 ft2.7%--

Thats the data from the worst of the hills on the course.

Here's a link to the route on mapmyride.com:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/43084574

2012-07-20 1:15 PM

So If i get this straight the three worst hills are about 1m, .5 and .5 mile. It doesnt seem so bad. I am getting closer to registering.
2012-07-20 3:20 PM
in reply to: #4321595

User image

That elevation link is awesome! I dont use Strava or mapmyride, so I've never seent that before very cool stuff.

I think I am heading up the last weekednd of July for a recon ride. I will keep everyone posted if there are any road improvements.

2012-07-21 11:26 AM

, Oregon

Looks like, from the posted signs, that Rte. 11, from the start at Ellacoya and for 6-miles from there (well past the turn onto 11B) gets paved starting next week. Wish they would do Intervale Rd as well.  

Lot of riders showing up on weekend mornings now to ride the course. 

Riding the bike course tomorrow AM. Always best to do so on Sunday morning, early. 

2012-07-23 6:59 AM

User image

NH

I use ridewithgps.com, and it has incredible stuff for elevation.  I'll try to attach a pic - the ticks are 200 ft.  I don't know where mapmyride gets their climb data, but Marsh Hill is well over 1 mile - closer to 2, and the first hill after getting onto 11B is more than .5 total for sure, though there are some "rest" spots.  There are certainly no mountains, but Timberman does have some hills.

As it was said in an earlier post, it's probably best to use a compact though it's certainly doable with "normal" gearing.  I'm no Schleck, but I rode it this past weekend with a 53-39 and an 11-26.  A few hills had me wishing I had a 34/28 combo, but only a few times did I really want more gears.  And it's true that there a lot of people riding the course and I'd assume it'll get busier as the race approaches.

They are definitely paving route 11 from Ellacoya next week - all the way to the turn at 11B and beyond, but that part of the highway is almost pristine already so I'm not sure why they are paving it.  There is more traffic on that road, but it's almost perfect right now so it seems like a waste of $$$.  So there are still a few rough sections on the course, but overall it's not a bad course in terms of road quality, but I'm from New Hampshire so that could be relative.

2012-07-27 11:23 AM

, Oregon
Paving is yet to begin on Rte. 11 (first/last 3-miles of the bike course) If riding this weekend, beware the grooved sections across the entire width of road. Tires aren't happy with that stuff.,

Edited by kjs 2012-07-27 11:24 AM
2012-07-30 3:16 PM

User image

I didn't make it up this past weekend to the course, but I was able to find some hills not too far from home. I put in a solid volume weekend, so psyched about that.

Countdown is on!

Anyone have any info on water temp?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3