General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle Sores for a beginner Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-18 12:16 PM

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: Saddle Sores for a beginner
Hi everyone,

I'm just getting started on my training for a sprint tri in Sept. I've done two bike rides, and it's not my legs or lungs that causes me stop, it's my tail! I've talked to a number of folks and they said it takes a bit to acclimate to the bike. I've have the LBS get things adjusted and fitted properly, but I was just wondering if there were any tips that any has to speed the acclimation?

I've already got a good pair of padded biking shorts and I am comfortable with the rest of the bike. ie aerobars, shoes, peddles etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Brittain

2004-06-18 12:40 PM
in reply to: #32250

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Saddle Sores for a beginner
Unfortunately there is nothing you can to rush matters. Your tush will adjust to it sooner or later. I have been riding for over 40 years and every spring I have to go through this for a few days. The best you can do is have someone (your significant other perhaps) give you a nice tush rub after a lenghty ride.
2004-06-18 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakeland, Florida
Time will take care of the problem. Don't try to do too much to quick, keep adding time (or distance) at a reasonable rate...and your butt will get in shape just like your quads and calfs. Good Luck, Stay with it.
2004-06-18 1:20 PM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
It will take time to adjust but a good seat will help too. If you find that your tail is still hurting in a month you may want to exchange the seat for something else.
2004-06-18 1:27 PM

Master
portland, or
Not to get personal, but for clarification by Saddle Sores do you mean your butt is sore from the saddle, or that you have actual sores (lesions, bumps, irritation) caused by the saddle? Two different problems.

If you're just sore, as the other posters replied, you just need to get acclimated to sitting on a saddle. If after a couple of weeks of consistant riding you're still having the problem, you may want to consider a different saddle.

To prevent actual sores: never wear your bike shorts twice without washing them; use a chamois cream, or some other lubrication on your chamois and/or crotch; change out of your shorts as soon as possilbe after a ride; keep that area clean and dry. Saddle choice is important in the prevention of sores as well.

If you have the misfortune of actually getting a sore, continue to follow the above advice and to dry the sore out you can use some rubbing alcohol (yes it will sting as badly as you think). Another trick is to apply some acne medication. Less sting, and the medication will dry the sore. It should disappear in a couple of days.

scott
2004-06-18 2:02 PM
in reply to: #32270

Veteran
Houston, TX
Thanks for the reply. I'm primarily just sore. I stopped before the chaffing really got my skin irritated.

I'll have to try the chamois cream. This sounds like a good idea to address some of the rubbing I experienced.

I have an agreement with the bike shop that if I have any issues with the saddle after a few weeks I can come in and get a different one installed.

Thanks for the help.

Brittain

2004-06-21 8:24 AM

Ashland, Ma
I am a newbie to the bike and I have acclimated by just increasing time in the saddle gradually starteda at twenty minutes to where I can go up about two hours at an easy pace..........my butt wasnt thrilled with the amount of time but It ded not mutiny either.....actually it is sort of a balancing act between numb hands and aching ass..............but I just try for more time each ride......

I am going to try the chamois lube soon and I just bought some padded gloves.....................

good luck.............

ps...... I stand on my pedals for a short distance and shift around to stretch my butt muscles without stopping and getting off this helps when the butt is really complaining and buys me more time just be careful whern you start getiing up on th pedals handling changes.....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle Sores for a beginner Rss Feed