General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Big Bodybuilder turned triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-24 3:04 PM

Subject: Big Bodybuilder turned triathlete
Hey guys, I am REALLY excited about this new chapter of my life. I started running in jr. high and ran long distances all the way through college. After 4 years of college sports I needed a new challenge in my life and turned to the weight room. For the past 12 years I have transformed my body from a stringy 175lbs to a thick 260lb competitive bodybuilder. After my daughter was born a few months ago I started to kick around the idea of moving onto a new/old passion, safer, healthier and completely legal,  then I saw the Ironman in Hawaii on TV 2 weeks ago and finally made the ultimate decision to give up bodybuilding and make the training switch. I have a ton of work to do (first and formost get this weight off) I am down to a very lean 242lbs this morning.  I am here excited to learn from all of you and hopefully make a few friends!  Look forward to getting to know you.

2012-07-24 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4328370

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Big Bodybuilder turned triathlete
Welcome bro.  I was a power lifter prior to my change in passion. 
2012-07-24 5:24 PM

Thx man!! I may pick your brain a little!
2012-07-24 6:41 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

You're going to find a lot of people who were in your shoes on this site...I was never HUGE, but I went from a scrawny (5'8") 144lb dude to a 178lb, solid muscle body building hopeful with competitions as my main goal...I ended up screwing up my back by lifting too much without good form and eventually was only able to swim for exercise. After re-building my core I started adding running to my resume' and reignited a passion for cycling that I once had. Now, almost 3 years later, I back down to a 149lb lean, mean triathlon machine...Best part is, my chest/shoulders have stayed pretty well filled out so I look a lot stronger than I am.  Worst part is, when I work out with my old friends who I used to be so much stronger than, they've far passed me in that category...

Good luck with your journey,man...

2012-07-26 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4328668

User image

Pro
CyFair

mb97 - 2012-07-24 5:24 PM Thx man!! I may pick your brain a little!

Feel free.  It's a mind f#$k moving from trying to be elite in that arena to trying to do the same here.  You have to relearn a lot of stuff and come to grips with the fact that 160 and lean is much more desirable than 220 plus at the same bf%.

2012-07-26 8:59 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
A very good friend of mine went from power lifter to cyclist and did really, really well. From the 12 years of lifting, I bet you have gained quite a bit of strength. You'll have quite an advantage from that, but you need to add endurance (cardiovascular as well as muscle endurance) and that will take a bit of time. Biggest advantage you have is that you're most likely very used to a very scheduled and structured training regime, that will help ALOT as you start building.

Back to my power lifter friend... turns out that he's a crazy good sprinter as he has the explosiveness and power. All the rest of team had to do was to get him up there for the last 100-500 meters and he'll win. Doesn't hurt that he's completely fearless as well...

Being a bit on the heavier side will help you on the bike as long as it's flat or rolling, once it starts to get hilly, then the lightweights get the revenge on people like you!

A heavier running can still do very well on the run, but work up the distance slowly and make sure you keep those muscles limber, so if you're not including some kind of stretching routine today, add that to you schedule, or better yet, join a yoga group.

2012-07-26 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4331311

User image

Pro
CyFair

audiojan - 2012-07-26 8:59 AM A very good friend of mine went from power lifter to cyclist and did really, really well. From the 12 years of lifting, I bet you have gained quite a bit of strength. You'll have quite an advantage from that, but you need to add endurance (cardiovascular as well as muscle endurance) and that will take a bit of time. Biggest advantage you have is that you're most likely very used to a very scheduled and structured training regime, that will help ALOT as you start building. Back to my power lifter friend... turns out that he's a crazy good sprinter as he has the explosiveness and power. All the rest of team had to do was to get him up there for the last 100-500 meters and he'll win. Doesn't hurt that he's completely fearless as well... Being a bit on the heavier side will help you on the bike as long as it's flat or rolling, once it starts to get hilly, then the lightweights get the revenge on people like you! A heavier running can still do very well on the run, but work up the distance slowly and make sure you keep those muscles limber, so if you're not including some kind of stretching routine today, add that to you schedule, or better yet, join a yoga group.

All very true.  I know that as a former power lifter I feel very comfortable in anaerobic HR zones and I've had to work my tail off to better my aerobic endurance.

2013-06-11 12:01 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

very true - took me a while to realize that - being lean and light is way safer on the old ticker too
2014-08-28 6:05 PM
in reply to: m4rest88

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Thought I'd bump this thread. It's hard finding people who can connect with bodybuilding lifestyle & the work to bridge the gap between the 2, all the while trying to maintain a physique you worked hard on that you can still be content with.
How has this crew been doing?
2014-08-29 7:56 PM
in reply to: audiojan

Expert
Originally posted by audiojan

A very good friend of mine went from power lifter to cyclist and did really, really well. From the 12 years of lifting, I bet you have gained quite a bit of strength. You'll have quite an advantage from that, but you need to add endurance (cardiovascular as well as muscle endurance) and that will take a bit of time. Biggest advantage you have is that you're most likely very used to a very scheduled and structured training regime, that will help ALOT as you start building.

Back to my power lifter friend... turns out that he's a crazy good sprinter as he has the explosiveness and power. All the rest of team had to do was to get him up there for the last 100-500 meters and he'll win. Doesn't hurt that he's completely fearless as well...

Being a bit on the heavier side will help you on the bike as long as it's flat or rolling, once it starts to get hilly, then the lightweights get the revenge on people like you!

A heavier running can still do very well on the run, but work up the distance slowly and make sure you keep those muscles limber, so if you're not including some kind of stretching routine today, add that to you schedule, or better yet, join a yoga group.

Bottom line: In triathlon, mass is not your friend! Nevertheless, for a few years I backed off the heavy work, and did very little during the tri season. But this last year I went back to lifting during tri season, and it's been working out fine. I try to balance the work load out, like swim training before shoulder work and the like. Giving up lifting during the season was one of the downers to triathlons.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Big Bodybuilder turned triathlete Rss Feed