General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Swim Nose Leakage... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-27 8:25 PM

User image

Regular
Costa Mesa
Subject: Post Swim Nose Leakage...
So as my OWS have been getting longer, I've noticed that immediately after my swim, when I tilt my head down while taking off my wetsuit, quite a bit of water starts to leak out.  Then randomly when I get back home and I'm leaning over when I'm sitting, still more water leaks out (yes, ewwww!)  Then today when I put my head down sideways (this is over 12 hours from when I swam last night) more water came out.  It feels like water instead of flem or snot (more... liquidy...) and there's no smell.  Should I use noseplugs, or is this much ocean water infiltrating my sinus not a problem?  Is this happening to anyone else?

2012-07-27 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4335005

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Subject: RE: Post Swim Nose Leakage...

Just watch out for those amoeba brain eating things....

More exhaling under-water might help.

2012-07-27 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran

It happens to me sometimes.  I never worry about it much. 

However (still not worrying), my wife's nose and sinuses seem to be salt water magnets while she swims.  Every time we swim in the ocean (usually weekly in the summers) she has water pouring out of her nose for hours after.  Just after the swim lots of water comes out.  Then, at home after breakfast, she will lean down to tie her shoe and more water pours out.  Sometimes it goes on for 10 - 12 hours after the swim. 

She has never had any negative consequences from this issue though.  We haven't figured out why it happens and it usually doesn't happen in the pool. 

Just get used to it and laugh at it like we do!  Tongue out

2012-07-27 9:14 PM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Me too...I'll think I've got it all out, then I'll bend over to stretch or something and it's like I've just tipped over a pitcher.  I have no answer, but you are not alone.
2012-07-28 1:42 AM

Extreme Veteran
Washington

My nose pretty much starts leaking when I do any sort of exercise. My nose is a veritable snot factory.

Although when I'm swimming its not a problem since I pretty much blow it all out into the pool.  It's probably just some residual chlorine irritating your nasal cavity.

Today was the worst though.  I had to pee during my ride, and I stopped at port-a-potty along the trail.  I held my breath upon entering to avoid breathing the foul aroma, which i assumed to be naturally bolstered by the hot summer air.  I'm not having any problems with this strategy until sometime during mid stream of an unnaturally long , a trickle of snot starts to run down my nose and onto my lips.  Amazingly, I suppress the urge to sniffle to arrest the flow of snot down my face. I can only imagine the horrid smell.  I venture this is my single greatest display of willpower of my young life.

Edited by ionlylooklazy 2012-07-28 1:44 AM
2012-07-28 5:03 AM

User image

Master
I'm so glad to see this. It embarrassingly happened to me quite a while after my swim at a grocery store in front of many people. Before triathlon activities, I used have control of such things.

2012-07-28 9:19 AM

User image

Elite
If you ever took anatomy class you would be suprised how many areas in the sinuses there are and how many places water can " hide", therefore water can expel from your sinuses for awhile depending in the amount you take in..... So very normal.....I agree that if it really bothers you uses nose plugs or expel outthe nose more during the swim especially if you are primarily a mouth exhaler....good luck
2012-07-28 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4335275

User image

Regular

FELTGood - 2012-07-28 9:19 AM If you ever took anatomy class you would be suprised how many areas in the sinuses there are and how many places water can " hide", therefore water can expel from your sinuses for awhile depending in the amount you take in..... So very normal.....I agree that if it really bothers you uses nose plugs or expel outthe nose more during the swim especially if you are primarily a mouth exhaler....good luck

Think of your swims as a giant netty pot treatment!! Only an issue if it begins to cause sinus problems/infections.

2012-07-28 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4335275

User image

Veteran
Clearwater, FL

FELTGood - 2012-07-28 10:19 AM If you ever took anatomy class you would be suprised how many areas in the sinuses there are and how many places water can " hide",

All of my swims are OW in the Gulf. When the water is flat I breathe bilaterally. When it's rough or the waves are steep I primarily breathe to one side. Air exits mostly though the higher nostril and a little water trickles in the lower one. Breathing to one side might give the water enough time to find a pocket, whereas breathing bilaterally might expel it before it has a chance.

So far ~12 hours is the maximum time I've had water roll around and leak out. I am starting to stand and bend over for a minute right after my swim so that much of it will drain out right there.

2012-07-28 10:46 AM

User image

Kelso
I started wearing ear plugs because I would get a little bit of a headache after swimming. Not only did it cure the headaches, but I no longer have water pouring out of my nose later in the day.
2017-10-11 11:04 PM

Subject: RE: Post Nose Leakage...
Im a kid i was just leaning on my bed and water that taste like tears have been coming out of my nose for 5 hours and i havent been swimming at all.

2017-10-24 5:42 AM
in reply to: #5229572

I also have this problem every time after I swim freestyle in the pool. I do not do flip turns so water is not going in then. I also always exhale through my nose and mouth at the same time. I can drain most of the water by tipping my head forward and shaking my head after a swim. But still sometimes additional water drains when I bend forward hours later. I had turbinate reduction and deviated septum sinus surgery and wonder if that has anything to do with it? I don't recall this ever happening before I had this surgery years ago. Have others chosen to use nose plugs to solve this problem?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Swim Nose Leakage... Rss Feed