View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Boulder City, Nevada
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

It was a late start at 10 am. Well the weather report said windy at 20-30 mph with gust up 50 and it would get stronger winds later in the day!!. By the time I arrived at T1 (8:00), the wind was blewing pretty good. The water was choppy, but no white caps. Yet!
Event warmup:

No warm up. Everything was first class. We had preassign bike rack with our very own mats.
Swim
  • 47m 56s
  • 2730 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in waves 4 out of 5. The water was nice and clear. At the start we were swimming with the current it was fast, but I knew when we take the first turn the adventure would begin. And it didn't disappoint as I made that turn all hell broke loss!! The water just get choppy and the wind made sighting very hard. Made another right turn and it get even harder as we were swimming into the wind & current. I swallow a lot of water. I was passing a lot of people and it felt like we wont moving at all. I kept on looking for feet to follow as I didn't want to raise my head or I would swallow a mouthful. I finally get to the next turn and it was still hard, but I know I had one more turn and I would be swimming with the current. Made that turn and I was swimming fast again or at least it felt like it.
What would you do differently?:

I could have bi-lateral breathing more. So I wouldnt have drank so much water. I may have pace it alittle too hard.
Transition 1
  • 03m 32s
Comments:

Had a hard time getting suit off at the legs. But wasn't in a rush to start the bike.

Instead of having wetsuit peeler unzip me. Next time have them take suit off completely. Need to work on nutrition better. I could have taken some salt cap or/and gel before starting the ride.
Bike
  • 6h 21m 14s
  • 68.04 miles
  • 10.71 mile/hr
Comments:

From reading and talking with other peeps. I knew this course was going to be a challenge. I had thought I had ridden the hardest and some of the windiest condition in southern Utah, but man was I wrong. 30 – 40 mph gust wind from every direction just took its toll on me and a couple of time I was pretty sure I was going off the road or into a big RV with those winds. What I didn't know was how the wind as well as the high 80s degree temperature would have effect my race.

I got to the last aid station to fill up and my leg started cramping up. I couldn't get off the bike, as my leg wouldn't bend because it was locked in a straight position. After awhile, I was able to get off and refuel. I got back on and continued on the quest (I swear the wind got stronger). By the time I completed the bike course, my whole body was trashed and my legs were cooked. I was done! First ever DNF!!! Last person to finish bike course and a lot more didn’t ever finish the bike! It was that crazy!

I could have fuel better. Slow my pace at the beginning.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Got to T2 and was told I had 3 minutes to start my run. I couldn't get off the bike as I was cramped up! I was done! It took my at least 5 minutes to relax my legs to get off the bike.
Run
  • 00m
  • 8.08 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Cramped up at the end and couldn't get off the bike for couple of minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pacing, nutrition and weather.

Event comments:

Everything was first class – transition was set up great with assign bike rack with individual mats (someone put one in my transitions bag, so I believe thats part of the swag!) The swag was unbelievable: bike jersey, tech shirt, visor, water bottle, & bag everything were top quality stuff. This alone would get me coming back.

Only issues. Start early than 10:00.

Last updated: 2012-02-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:56 | 2730 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 22/
Performance: Good
Suit: half
Course: retangle shape clock wise swim.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:21:14 | 68.04 miles | 10.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Wind: Tailwind with gusts
Course: 34 mile out and back on a hilly course with 20 - 30 mph wind with gust up to 50 mph from all direction.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal